Detailed pictures or knowledge of 60 series factory LSD? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
eurasiaoverland.com
For those with a factory 60 LSD or extensive knowledge of them, I have a bit of a mystery.

Last month I bought a used factory 60 series LSD, or at least that's what I think it is. It certainly came in a factory 60 series diff housing (-60040) with 45 mm carrier bearings. It is not the same as an early 80 series rear LSD.

All the Toyota diagrams that I have seen, from the earliest '7909-'8007 HJ45 (the oldest Landcruiser LSD I believe), all the 60 series diagrams I can find, ALL show 6 clutch discs (toothed metal discs) and 8 thrust washers (the textured, friction plates).

Capture.JPG

When I opened this LSD, it came with 4 clutch discs and 6 thrust washers (including the original factory outer thrust washers which are also shims). I assumed this was just incomplete as it came from a wrecker and has obviously been opened before.

20230109_183145[1].jpg

However, when I stack the 3 clutch plates and 4 thrust washers in one half of the diff carrier, the spider gear assembly does not seat in the case - it's too high by several mms. It seems that this housing is really only designed for 4/6 plates, or perhaps 6/8 plates as shown, but with thinner versions of the plates (though I am fairly sure all 40/60/70/80 LSDs use the same plates (except European VM engines BJ73s).

20230109_190749[1].jpg

So my questions are:

-Is there a factory Toyota LSD which has 4 clutch plates and 6 thrust washers?

-Does anyone have detailed pictures of a dismantled factory LSD for reference?

Thinking whether to run it as is, but I need to make sure it is what it is meant to be (not a patchwork of various mis-matched bits), and that I am putting the correct components into it. I could perhaps have 4 mm machined out of either side (there is plenty of space for that) to fit another clutch/thrust washer pair. I have plenty of large adjusting shims to set the spider gear backlash.

Some obvious points I wish to make:
-Everything is properly seated, dry (no oil).
-All new genuine clutch discs and thrust washers, matching what was taken out.
-There is no spring here, nothing to compress.
-I know Toyota factory LSDs are meant to be useless.
-I am not discussing non-factory LSDs.

Really appreciate any help here (less so speculation!).

EO

Last edited:
EDIT - I though this was a 45 mm bearing carrier, but it's actually 50 mm, meaning it comes from an 80. The cast iron housing is from a 60. Still does not explain the clutch/thrust washer count.

Last edited:
OK, case closed. After more searching the EPC I realise this is the centre from a late 80 series (1997+) LSD with a 60 series ring and pinion and 60 series housing.

Now, why did Toyota go from 8/6 clutch discs/thrust washer to 6/4? Surely that would not make the LSD any better? Or maybe the comparatively greater clamping force between fewer discs made it more effective??

Now, why did Toyota go from 8/6 clutch discs/thrust washer to 6/4? Surely that would not make the LSD any better? Or maybe the comparatively greater clamping force between fewer discs made it more effective??

material improvements?

Good tech here as usual

material improvements?
Good tech here as usual
Very possible, but the clutch discs are the same as the 60, the thrust washers have a new part number but are the same size (and much cheaper). Not sure how much scope there is to improve the material on one of these...

I suspect it's an 'improvement' along the lines of converting to IFS or outsourcing the Hilux to be built in Thailand....

Last edited:
The BJ74 came with a factory LS. I’ve got two with what I learned to refer to as 4 pinion LS.
They are developed during late run of 60’s then into 80’s development time period. I never
really looked at them but I did stick one of them in my 60 FF rear. The 70 and 60 series parts
have better interchangeability than with 80 Series stuff. The unit I used worked so I never took
them apart or looked too hard at them. This is a diagram from Megazip BJ74 for reference.
Identical part numbers to your diagram.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom