"Dealer-Installed" AC? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.stokesignals.agency
Was that a thing?

Last week on a text with a bunch of my college buddies, one of the guys asked how my Pickup was coming along. I included a couple pics. Another buddy said "No AC huh" (he noticed the missing button). Then he said, "My '84 should still have all the AC parts... want me to have the shop pull everything out for you?" I know, right?! The friend of mine adopts stray cars, trucks, boats like people adopt dogs and cats. He literally doesn't know how many cars and trucks he owns.

The part that threw me came today... the shop told him the AC system was dealer-installed - in 1984 when the truck was sold. Was that how they did it back then? Or, A. does his truck have some other system? Or B. The shop is mistaken. The dash controls are factory and there's nothing under the dash or hood that would indicate it's an aftermarket system.

Last edited:
I bought a base model 1987 2wd pickup at a dealership in Tucson with no A/C installed. Said they could do it and it was more than we wanted to pay. No internet back then but, I saw ad in magazine for factory Toyota A/C kits and it wasn't much money so I ordered one.

Was definitely a Toyota kit and everything I needed except R12 was included. SUPER EASY plug and play. Only drilling involved was for the lines through the firewall and they were stamped exactly where they needed to be. Screw holes had a divot stamped in the proper spots. All wiring plugged right in.

Our 86 4Runner did not have the back seat. We had to wait for it.

Same in Aus. A/C was dealer fit using Toyota/Nippondenso kits for years to help people avoid sticker shock.

When i bought my 84 4x4 brand spanking new--- had to take it back to the dealer for the ac to be added. its the way they did it back then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom