Dampness around center console? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
3A3B0ED2-78F2-4AAA-B9E0-DC619D59242F.jpeg

It may just be my paranoia, but after the last several days of rain on the east coast, it feels like the carpet around the center console is a little damp. Without pulling up the entire carpet or console I was able to peel back a bit of the rug and everything looks alright. I know the sunroof is a common leak, but the sliding cover and headliner are all bone dry, so it doesn’t appear to be dripping down. Are there any common leaks around the firewall that would flow back to this low point? Anyone else seen this before?

Other info: Drove through a huge puddle on Sunday in the down pour. Anywhere it might have come up from below? I recently pulled out the rear heater. Got a good seal with the aluminum provided in Joey’s kit. I will investigate whether or not it got in there.

only two things I can think of:
1. The heater core is leaking
2. The rubber boot under the shifter console is torn and allowing water to enter from the trans tunnel
Thanks Joey. Those are great resources for anyone else experiencing the same issue. After some further investigation, I pulled the rug up in the affected area and the bottom side was completely dry, so I don’t think it’s coming up from below either.

My theory at this point is that the PO spilled something and tried to clean it up. There is a little discoloration in the area and there was a spray can of stain remover in the trunk when I bought it. Makes sense since it’s directly below the absurdly small cup-holder. I think the residual stain remover just feels oily in the humidity. Not a super interesting resolution, I know, but at 27 years old, these trucks each have a personal history written in coffee stains and pinstripes.

Coolant will feel oily. Did you leak coolant deleating the rear heater? Are the lines plugged and leaking some how?

Spilled beer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom