Builds daklakfoto's build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is to capture my 2nd and true off-road built car. I have been "off-road" in my subaru FXT 18 with locker and enjoying few thou-shalt-not-do in AWD in Death Valley (Ascending Lippincott, Mengel Pass), Joshua Tree (Old Dale rd); Oriflame, and few others around California, AZ. Through this experience, it has helped me to research and ready for my next overland built platform.

It has been two months since i acquired my gx470. Due to current locked-down in US, i've been WFH while doing tons of upgrades to the car. I have done more upgrade than i planned and supposed to spread it out over 2 years. Normally, i do few upgrades then go out before adding another. :)

I plan to use this thread to track my build as well as provide some photos of places I've been.

GX470 as purchased:
  • 2006 GX 470, Sport with Entertainment system (aka KDSS, nav) at 138k miles, one owner, full dealer service history
  • Suspension system fully replaced less than 20k miles ago
  • New LCA (2x)
  • New power steering, flush
  • New brake, rotor
  • Recently flush and fill tranmission, rear and front diff, tcase
  • recently service KDSS
  • minor paint chips.
Issues as purchased:
  • Leaking front Passenger CAM seal (plan to go out have fun for next 20k miles before service it along with Timing belt, waterport and other seals).
  • No toolset in rear door (anyone got one for sale or know where i can get one?)

Mods I have added within 2 months:
  • Falcon Wildpeaks AT3w 255/80r17 5x tires with BMC (love skinny 33" giving me 1" clearance for my rear diff)
  • Used MetalTech Pegasus bumper with tire carrier (tks to another GXOR member at meetup)
  • Added MetalTech gas/water carrier mount, gas holder, license plate mount.
  • Timbren Active Off-road rear bump stops (glad i bought it before discover crack rear oem bumpstop).
  • LED pods for backup light within bumper.
  • Phoenix 10.4" Tesla style head unit
  • OEM front bumper cut (lasted only 1.5 month. :))
  • 3/4" front-spacer lift and 1/4" washer-bumpstop. (check out dranged for more information. Tks)
  • RCI front, mid and tcase skid plates. Still use OEM fuel tank skid.
  • Ironman 4x4 front classic bumper (installed by Chris at JHGarage. Tks.)
  • Ironman 4x4 12k lbs Monster winch (Ironman deals tks to another GXOR member).
  • RagoFabrication cross-bar to mount to OEM rails.
  • RagoFabrication waterport mounting kit.
  • Cup-holder mod from @GXCRUISER

Mods in garage/shipping :) :
  • Kaon rear door table, storage (got 20% discount if you message them, fast shipping from AU and save $200).
  • Headlight restoration kit
  • Fender liner splash seal
  • inside roof suspended storage.

Future Mods:
  • Drawer system with storage for portable battery and can convert to use with fridge (looking at KISS or Drifta style drawer)
  • Sleeping platform based on drawer system design.
  • Plasti-dip side mirror and lower trip portion of fender-liner.

Last edited:
Stock forms

20200213_171737.jpg

20200213_171803.jpg

Last edited:
Odes to my first adventure/overland build fozie. She will still be with the family.

After ascending Lippincott by mistakenly chosen shortest path to get to Racetrack:
Ascending Lippincott

Trip thru Mengel Pass with Scorch 2019 in death valley:
Mengel Pass

Photo albums: Ode2fozie

Last edited:
@daklakfoto Hey I used to follow you with your Foz. I have a 2014 FXT myself and I just picked up a 2006 GX this month. Hope I can get some mods going like you, you jumped all in!

Welcome to the new adventure build. :) hit me up on fb or ig if you have any question.

If you are local, we can meet up as well. btw, tomorrow 07/26 there is a meet up to support a local restaurant in LA. I'll plan to be there.

Join fb group: GXOR - GX Offroad

Hi, I like all of your mods so far. How are your RCI skid plates? Do they cover the catalytic converter to prevent it from being stolen? With all the increased cat being stolen, I'm worried about mine. Thanks in advance for your response. Vong

Hi, I like all of your mods so far. How are your RCI skid plates? Do they cover the catalytic converter to prevent it from being stolen? With all the increased cat being stolen, I'm worried about mine. Thanks in advance for your response. Vong
It does cover the cat. if you can I'd go steel if you wheel hard or may hit rock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom