cylinder head identification (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I believe I have a 2f head not sure what vintage though. The only casting # I see is 2 80032 0107

It doesn't have the famous oil galley plug either which makes me think it's older. Any help on the date would be great! Thanks in advance.

post up a pic

well I honestly dont know what year it is but I do know its a 2f head and it really shouldnt matter the year if its completley rebuilt mabey check you serial number plate

As I am finding out there are different versions of 2F heads.

I have a head which I don't know its year application either, cast number 61030, which JimC indicates works on domed piston based engines. I bought this hoping to put on my rig, but it has a cast number of 61030, which is a flat top piston.

Now this 80032 series head w/o the oil gally problem, is a different beast altogether. Is it older or newer?

[edit: baldhead, in his link above, found out that his 80032 head, is an F motor head as grant indicates below]

I sense there are many different heads for the 2F. Just need to find that right decoder ring

doug t

Last edited:
Pics? You are sure this is a cruiser head? If it is and has no oil galley plug, I think it would have to be from an F engine, predating the machined oil feed to the rocker assembly.

F....... '68~9/'72

Must be an F then. I don't think many of those are needed. Thannks for the help IDing it for me, That's a big help.

As I am finding out there are different versions of 2F heads.

I am also selling a head, cast number 61030, which JimC indicates works on domed piston based engines. I bought this hoping to put on my rig,

You can use the 61030 by shaving it 0.080"......... you'll have a better, beefier head in the end.....

I guess you know the down-fall of the 61040~61070 heads......??

You can use the 61030 by shaving it 0.080"......... you'll have a better, beefier head in the end.....

I do not

I have search for a thread that discusses the various TLC heads, and an interchange matrix but have come up flat. I am learning the hard way: by tuition

Can you provide more information on what you are asserting?

If I shave it that much (is that the max for the head?) how close does it get to the 61040 head? If that works, then I could put it on and get my existing one redone.

What are the down falls of the 61040-61070 heads?

What years do they cover?

Is there a 2F head matrix out there?

If not, maybe I should start one for my own and others' use

thanks for any further education

doug t

Last edited:
I think the 76 - 83 FJ 40 2F's used Domes pistons. The later 2F's from FJ 60's have flat pistons.

If you put a head for a domed piston engine on a flat top piston, you will not have power.

If you put a flat top head on an engine with domed pistons, the pistons will hit the head or the valves will come in contact with the piston.

Sorry but I do not have the head casting part numbers and I may be a few years off on the early 2F's.

Short and Simple....

Take your orginal head and the 61030 to a machine shop and have them CC the combustion chamber area, the difference between the two will determine the amount that needs to be shaved from the 61030...........

grant, great suggestion, thanks

From another thread on head gaskets, https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/93177-headgasket-3.html I got the following from JimC

The 61030 is 1/75-7/76 USA 2F.

AFAIK, it will also work fine on 77-80 2F, w/ the possible addition of a pipe plug to fill an extra coolant temp sender hole in the top.

[doug: I wonder if the 61031, which Jim has mentioned before, is what originally went on the 77-80 2F]

61040 is 81-87 USA 2F.
Underhood Janitor, cleaning up other people's :censor: since 1988.

Year---------------Head Number--------------Motor
'68~9/'72----------80032------------------------F
73-74--------------?????-----------------------????
1/75-7/76---------61030------------------------2F - USA
77-80--------------61031 (need validation)---2F
77-80--------------(61030 might fit)------------2F
81-87--------------61040------------------------2F (this is my head number on my 1986 FJ60 rig)
????---------------61070------------------------2F/3F--?-------Need more input

doug t

Last edited:
Pics of my second head, the 75-76 61030

I bought this to fix and then quickly install on my FJ60, but it seems to not be right one. Posted for pict ID of this head

#1 cast # over #2 cylinder
#2 other ID numbers over #3 cylinder
#3 combustion chamber
2007-1040-2 009.jpg
2007-1040-2 010.jpg

2007-1040-2 012.jpg

Last edited:
#4 higher pic of front, top of head
#5 oil gally fix
#6 top view, front to back shot
2007-1040-2 008.jpg
2007-1040-2 014.jpg
2007-1040-2 015.jpg

OK........

So whats the plan??? .....Gonna shave it??

So whats the plan??? .....Gonna shave it??

don't know. Need more input. Will ask my shop, Charleys in Provo Utah. Don't want to take current head off until new one is ready to install so I can't measure current one. But maybe that is my only option, but will have vehicle down time.

Can anyone give me a head combustion chamber displacement, like using the number of cc's of water or something to fill it? I could do the same on my 2nd head. See the different and then find out how much shaving would reduce it by.

I get the feeling that this 61030 head does NOT have much of a market value and thus I probably won't get any offers are any price. well maybe something.

Going snow camping next week so will be "pondering" the whole thing.

but thx for the options. I have been learning about TLC heads/years and misc data. Valuable, but so far costly. Maybe I will learn to ask more questions in the future before jumping in the deep end. Sure wish this thread had been in the FAQ when I started reading about subject. Who does one suggest that to?

doug t

Last edited:
Head Games...........

Can anyone give me a head combustion chamber displacement, like using the number of cc's of water or something to fill it? I could do the same on my 2nd head. See the different and then find out how much shaving would reduce it by

I guess finding someone with a true virgin head to measure or actually knowing the oem spec of overall thickness.............:hmm:

Keep in mind the max cut......0.100"

Or... If your machinist is handy and can perform a trick known as [static compression calculator].....

Last edited:

Grant5127.

Did you ever explain what the "down-fall" of the 61040 heads are?

I too have an '81 61040 head and recently found a 61030 for sale that has been magnafluxed to check for cracks (there were none), new valve seats, new valves and some new valve springs.

Sounds like I would have extra $$$ in the 61030 head to get it to work.

I need help identifying compatibility with my block and head. my block vin is 232080 and I have attached some pictures of the head. I'm trying to change the head gasket but can't figure out what gasket to get and if the head I'm using will work. I think the block is an early model f engine I'm not sure about the head I think maybe that's my problem whatever anyone can do I would really appreciate it
20180721_092720.jpg
20180721_092715.jpg
. head number read 11111 60020 with a 32 under it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom