CVT Mt. Baker RTT Long Term Eval (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any updates to your impression of the tent? How is it holding up?

Cheers,
Salue

Any updates to your impression of the tent? How is it holding up?

Cheers,
Salue
Well, it's been sitting on my roof since the Baja trip. I replaced the closing strap and slightly modified the way it's mounted to the Yak bars. I'll post a pic of that. I'm anticipating a return to Baja with a longer stay, this time. For sure will post experience upon return. Was toying with the additition of a awning. Looked at the Foxwing, but prefer a sturdier one like an Ostridge Wing. Also thinking about an expo trailer and moving the RTT to it. Thanks for your inquiry!

After Baja - or actually on the trip - I realized more attention needed to be paid to the mounts. The Yakima is a good and versatile system, but you need to keep a watchful eye on the gutter mount bracket to bar connection. Washboard roads are brutal to your vehicle and roof rack mounts can be easily overlooked, mainly because you're thinking about the rest of your rig. You're just happy the rack is still there after a long washboard session...lol. Anyway, before the initial installation of the RTT, I only had 2 bars from the previous Yakima Load Warrior rack. I took it upon myself to order and add the 3rd bar. At installation, Bobby, at CVT was satisfied that 2 bars were fine and a 3rd bar was great, but he only mounted to 2 of the 3 bars - the outside ones. The tent just rested on the center bar. And I was satisfied for 3+ years, then I spent 10 days in my RTT in Baja - the longest use for me so far. The following pic is taken after I returned and is the bolt that needs to be closely watched. Yakima included a wrench to use on this bolt and I have no excuse for neglecting to check this bolt.
img_1303-jpg.1190144

If you run with this system, be sure to check this bolt on all your gutter mounts.

So, to beef up the mounting of my RTT, I made a couple of mods. 1st thing was, I visited my local NAPA and got a length of heavy duty rubber hose with approx same inside diameter as the diameter of my Yak bars. Cut 6 4" lengths and split them so I could put them on the bar where the outside edge of the RTT sets on it.
IMG_1336.JPG

I guess my 2nd mod was the OCD or being anal popping out. I fabbed 2 more RTT clamps so now mine is mounted with 6 instead ot the traditional 4.
IMG_1337.JPG

Notice the spacer between the RTT and the bar - these are standard CVT and were included from Bobby at install. One thing I was trying to accomplish is keeping as equal as possible spacing and cushion between RTT and Yak bar.
IMG_1339.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you for the update! I just purchased a used one and this has been the most informative review!
Where did you source the extra clamp/mounts? I need to get some since the stock setup is too short to use with my rack.

Cheers,
Salue

Thank you for the update! I just purchased a used one and this has been the most informative review!
Where did you source the extra clamp/mounts? I need to get some since the stock setup is too short to use with my rack.

Cheers,
Salue
You picked up a used CVT RTT? Same model? Anyway I went to the source, Yakima.com since they had changed their main line to square bars at the time. I try to keep the info from products I buy and was able to find the info on the original parts back when I added the 3rd bar. This link shows the bars and on this page you can choose the mount, depending on which style of tower & bar you want to go with. I like the round bars, but if I was building a system today, I would probably go with the newer style since newer parts are usually easier to come by. New Yakima parts are spendy & looks like you live where there's plenty of sources to choose from. You might be able to find just what you need on CL if you're not in a hurry & want to $ave. My bars are 58" and were perfect for my RTT the way I have it set up with the 2x6 steps. I recommend getting the optional locks for whatever system you choose. Also, if there's a local dealer nearby, I would stop by and just talk with them to get as much knowledge as you can before you purchase anything. Good luck with your project!:cheers:

Yes, a used Mt Baker tent. I currently have an Inti rack and am going to mount it onto that. I just have to remove the sides on the rack and get new/longer bolts and flat bar to mount the tent.
If I don't like how it sits on the rack, I may put it on some Thule bars that I have laying around.

Cheers,
Salue

Yes, a used Mt Baker tent. I currently have an Inti rack and am going to mount it onto that. I just have to remove the sides on the rack and get new/longer bolts and flat bar to mount the tent.
If I don't like how it sits on the rack, I may put it on some Thule bars that I have laying around.

Cheers,
Salue
Cool! Hope you enjoy yours! Wow, if it's the same rack as in this thread, that's one solid roof rack. I'd be willing to try it 1st with the sides - they might work as a convenient hand hold to help you in & out of the tent. Yeah, you need carriage bolts probably longer than what is standard to go through that rack. Mine are 3" and I think Bobby had several different lengths so he could mount to any rack.

Yes, that is the same rack I have. Unfortunately, I can't leave the side rails on there due to the width of the tent. That would have been perfect if the tent fit inside the rails!
The carriage bolts that came with the tent are too short (2.5"). Went to all the hardware stores around me and none of them carry carriage bolts in metric size (M8x1.25x80)! :bang:
Just ordered from Fastenal. Hopefully I can get it mounted before I go on holiday this Friday.

Cheers,
Salue

Yes, that is the same rack I have. Unfortunately, I can't leave the side rails on there due to the width of the tent. That would have been perfect if the tent fit inside the rails!
The carriage bolts that came with the tent are too short (2.5"). Went to all the hardware stores around me and none of them carry carriage bolts in metric size (M8x1.25x80)! :bang:
Just ordered from Fastenal. Hopefully I can get it mounted before I go on holiday this Friday.

Cheers,
Salue
Damn! Do you need to use metric? I can't remember if I used metric on the 3rd bar :(, but in my little town at True Value Hdwe, I got what I needed...come think of it, I think I replaced all carriage bolts with SAE and the nyloc nuts to match. To keep them all the same. Used the original flat stock as a pattern to fab the upper and lower mounting plates. Don't worry about cutting a square hole in the upper plate. Just drill large enough so bolt shaft clears the hole and use a vise to support the plate while you hammer carriage bolt head thru. The corners will cut their own notches and the upper plate will hold the bolt secure while you're tightening the nyloc nuts. Hope this helps! :cheers:

What I meant with the vise is, open the jaws enough to let bolt shaft slide through and place drilled plate on top of vice to allow bolt to go down through plate and vise opening. Then a few taps with adequate sized hammer will produce the desired result.

I was thinking about drilling the square holes bigger and just getting the 5/16th carriage bolts but didn't realize that trick about hammering them to shape the round hole into a square. Thank you for the tip!
Oh well, it's not like I plan on using the tent anytime soon. Next planned trip is our annual snow camping trip at the end of January!

Cheers,
Salue

After 5 yrs I finally got around to securing the top of the ladder. It took modifying the Yakima rack to add an Alu-Cab Shadow Awn. Pretty simple, which is usually the best way. Drilled holes in the top brackets or hooks on ladder. Added a couple of grab handles to aid in entry/exit of the tent.
Ladder attached:
IMG_1411.JPG

View of holes in ladder backets:
IMG_1413.JPG

Gives proper ladder angle and now top is secure Can't be accidently knocked over:
IMG_1412.JPG

Side view of Yakima rack mod with secure hardware attached:
IMG_1414.JPG

View of rack mod before Awn installed. Fabbed from 1/4" x 3" angle aluminum. Bolted & welded. Built to distribute the weight & stress of the Alu-Cab Shadow Awn.
IMG_1398.JPG

Last edited:
There is a company in California that makes a mattress for RTT. Granted I did just talk with him and they are out awhile before they start making them.

Other issue is shipping due to the size and weight. He is working on a better method to ship them. I have been looking at them due to they actually make a coil mattress.

There is a company in California that makes a mattress for RTT. Granted I did just talk with him and they are out awhile before they start making them.

Other issue is shipping due to the size and weight. He is working on a better method to ship them. I have been looking at them due to they actually make a coil mattress.
Good to know, thanks! What's the name of the company? Do they have folding mattresses for the bigger RTTs or just for the hard shells? Which RTT do you have?

Good to know, thanks! What's the name of the company? Do they have folding mattresses for the bigger RTTs or just for the hard shells? Which RTT do you have?

They are custom made. They had a few get out in the wild on expedition portal (where I heard the name). They will make you one that fits your tent. They list some of the default sizes but I don't think they are shipping at this time. They are gearing up for a new product for stoves that I am also waiting on. Hoping to get one of those and a new mattress before the big 10 day trip this fall. I think they are at least a month out before they consider making a mattress for anybody.

I have a MT McKinley. Basically a king sized bed folding RTT that I have attached to a trailer. Like you I have tried putting a memory foam on top and it helps but still not great.

The company is RV and Off Road. They have a website and are based in Hesperia. I would list the link but not sure if that is frowned upon since they are not a vendor.

The RTT needed some polishing - top surface was really getting dull...only have 1 original CVT marking left -on passenger side. The other sides have faded or worn off. The 3M Marine 1 step works great with my Black & Decker polisher. After removing the bug buildup on the front, I noticed some interesting patterns that look like either rock damage or extemely hard bug hits...lol. The pics show the asterisk shaped marks:
IMG_0455.JPG

About 4 or 5 of 'em
IMG_0458.JPG

One other problem that has popped up are the latches that keep the tent closed. Been having some triple digit temp weather lately and the effect it has on the tent is that the tent closes so completely - the latches pop off the catches and leave the tent unsecured. My fix is to put more bedding inside the tent so more pressure is needed to close it. Don't have this problem when the temperature is lower. Any one else having this issue? Pics of my latches to clarify:

IMG_0460.JPG

IMG_0462.JPG

IMG_0465.JPG

The lock is from REI and worked well as a deterant.

Last edited:
After installing the Alu-Cab Shadow awning and roof rack mods, I got the motivation to install & set up limb risers. I had the local welding shop fab up a front extention to accomodate the upper end of the limb risers and give some protection to the front of the RTT. It's the only part of the roof rack mod that's steel, the rest is aluminum. We're not talking about fending off 2" or larger limbs and brush, but the kind that can just get narly on an overgrown trail. Worst one was in Baja a couple of yrs ago between Punta San Francisquito and El Arco. Just past the turn off to go North toward Bahia de Los Angeles, headed West for what seemed like 10 miles or more. Kept knocking off my magnetic CB antenna and was getting concerned about the RTT. Limb risers would have definitely helped. This design is to help fend off limbs away from the front end of the awning and also direct limbs and brush up and over the RTT. I've attached the upper end as high as possible. The hood will open with out interference except for the plastic wind dam which I'll remove when risers are on truck.
IMG_1416.JPG
IMG_1417.JPG
IMG_1419.JPG

Last edited:
Well, I guess an update is needed, since it's been almost 2 yrs since the last. Tent has been moved off my Land Cruiser to my new (to me) off road trailer. As much as I enjoyed the convenience of the tent being on my rig, I'm enjoying it more on a trailer.

IMG_0948a.JPG

IMG_0950a.JPG

IMG_1004a.JPG

IMG_1005a.JPG

IMG_1007a.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom