CV is starting to puke. Good aftermarket options and wheel bearing too? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My passenger CV axle is starting to weep fluid/grease out of the out board side of the inner CV joint (the small end of the boot on the diff side). My questions are:
1. What are good aftermarket options and what are ones to absolutely stay away from?
2. Should I do the wheel bearing while I am at it?
3. Anything else I should do while I am there?
4. Should I wait until after we get back to address it? There is no clicking or noise of any kind, I just noticed it when I was under the truck tonight.

I am taking the family on a road trip for spring break so I don't want to rebuild the factory units until later.

If the boot isn’t torn I would put a bit of grease in and then clamp it with the worm gear clamps from pfrans/McMaster.

I wasn't able to really investigate as it was getting late tonight. I will look tomorrow while I am waiting for the center differential to drain (changing to Royal Purple).

Mine started doing this too. Are you able to save them by just putting more grease in them? They both did it at the same time too which seemed weird to me.

If you repack them you can. get high angle boots at the same time. The inner always pukes eventually with a lift.

So, I have read that lifts kill the boots and seen video's of how to replace them. But on my truck, with it's mild lift, my half shafts are horizontal to the ground. From what I read, it is the severe angles that kill them and there is no angle at all on mine. Please educate me on this (remember I am new to 4x4 and Toyota).

Its more the light change in the angle will cause it to bleed a little.... any change from stock angle will do affect it no matter how small or large since

1. What are good aftermarket options and what are ones to absolutely stay away from?
- any aftermarket sucks unless its a lotus... stay with OEM if in doubt,

2. Should I do the wheel bearing while I am at it?
- not really. but you can if you want,.,

3. Anything else I should do while I am there?
Diff seals and hub seals if you are going to pull the CV out.

4. Should I wait until after we get back to address it? There is no clicking or noise of any kind, I just noticed it when I was under the truck tonight.
- if they started leaking it will be awhile before you go dry. i wouldnt expedite your orders but i would just place an order for some boot kit. i did the red boot from CVJ... came with everything i need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom