Cutting the top off a Sequoia (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There are plenty of threads for cutting/modifying the roof on a 4Runner, anyone do that with a Sequoia?

this thread is worthless without a case of beer, a sawzall, and some pictures!

Go for it @Hoist !

Not sure about how straight the lines will be with a case of beer but………point taken.
Its easy enough to cut out the rear top aft of the sail panels. Wouldn’t want to close it in with steel cause the box is too small. Sooooo. Chop it to the front doors and weld in the back doors?
Slee has a build they did of an FJ80 they made into pickup that looks good. Basically like an Australian Ute. They called it Vard Vark or something. A little easier on an 80 though cause the body line are straight.
BE59B475-BDAB-43AB-8169-4B9461A3B44B.jpeg

This is another idea. I’d weld the rear doors shut Easy to do with paper. Metal is another story……..El Sequoia.
BED879EE-E443-4CFD-A455-73650824005B.jpeg

I kinda think that's called a Tundra ,but I've also never really understood the fascination with cutting SUVs as many people do with LCs overseas.

Arent any Tundra's that are as short as the suck oia would be. I've considered putting a regular cab on the short frame of the Sucky but they arent that easy to come by. The regular cab that is.
The Suzi is cute but its short about 4 cylinders and there is zero bed a bility. I can put a 4x8 sheet of plywood in the Sucky, if it wasnt for the SUV tailgate. Best tailgate they made was on the FJ80, split with a drop down tailgate. You can sit on the tailgate with some cover by the upper half up. Or stick some lumber in the bed with the tailgate up and the hatch open.
There's just the missus and me, so the rear seat doesnt get used at all. Ditched the third row years ago.
Kinda like the idea of cutting the top off aft of the sail panels (lose the rear quarter windows) and make a tailgate. End up putting a boat canvas cover with a window so you can pop it off when you want.

Cracks me up everytime someone says "shoulda bought a this, or that". It's like bobbing a bed, its not because you couldnt buy something else, its because they dont make what you are looking for. Maybe its the cost of the sucky's I dont know but you see this done all the time on 4 runners (they aren't cheap really either).

To be clear, not offended. If I was worried about it I wouldnt post.

You know, you could cut the top off the Suzi and make a pretty cool convertible.......................just saying

El Suckoia

I did it to my 80- fairly easy process and of note/ surprise was how relatively weak the crossmembers were. I ended up reusing them and added a touch more support. My biggest fear was fire...... and biggest lesson learned was tensioning the new roof to have a natural bow to it outwardly so it wouldnt pop in later. (this happened on another 80 where i welded up and sealed the sunfoof delete and didnt add enough outward arch/ tension.

DDEB0A23-E763-4B44-BBFC-65D63C35791F.jpeg
E9CBD714-C749-4F8F-BAA8-D6A9BD0F430D.jpeg
72A7F26B-2EB8-48DA-B093-04DB9A042CD9.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom