Cutting into the frame to accomodate longer coil springs for a rear 4-link (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spring rate? Amount of weight in the back end?

Thanks. That first question probably came across as kind of stupid. Let me try again. If you're SOA in the front (like me) and you've got the chassis fairly level, then it seems like the distance from the rear axle to the frame should be about the same as mine. But I see what the difference is now - the shackles you used on the rear of your front leafs mount below the frame. My shackles pass through the frame, which will make me ride a bit lower.

Under a 4runner but same ideas.

FYI, I would stick with TJ or 80 series coils as mentioned above.

Thanks for that. I'm trying to figure out what you would get by having one air spring in the middle of the axle with the two coil springs - just better ride and load capacity when you want it?

It doesn't seem like there's much trust in the air springs among the general community. It's a very cool idea though. I'm still thinking about incorporating it somehow, as long as there's a fail safe for if one blows. Having an accomplished rock crawler that rides like a Cadillac off trail appeals to me - my wife might drive this thing occasionally too.

Thanks. That first question probably came across as kind of stupid. Let me try again. If you're SOA in the front (like me) and you've got the chassis fairly level, then it seems like the distance from the rear axle to the frame should be about the same as mine. But I see what the difference is now - the shackles you used on the rear of your front leafs mount below the frame. My shackles pass through the frame, which will make me ride a bit lower.

Shackle hanger location will do it. I don't have pictures of it, but the slightly modified MT cage is fully welded and installed so that adds ~300lbs to the chassis, and that puts the frame rail below the seats approximately 25.5" off the ground. I've still got to add about 160 lbs in propane to the rear, occupants, tools, etc... I figure I'll be about a 24" frame height when done.

IMG_2271_zpsa40bd0c0.jpg

I wonder how this design worked out? This is what I was speculating about earlier - combining coil springs with air springs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom