Custom Trailer Axles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any suggestions for somewhere local, or willing to ship a custom legnth axle assembly with 6x5.5 hubs? Not sure yet whether Im going with a 3500 or 6000lb axle.

I bought a 1992 Palomino Shetland popup trailer today, and intend to shamelessly copy Atoyot1031's build.

Offroad popup camper build

IMG_0730.JPG
IMG_20130326_130301.jpg

I'd got with 3500# as being sufficient. Express Custom Trailers in Parksville, on Coombs Road would
be the best closest source of axles, although Princess Auto carries a very large inventory and they
can ship anything they don't have in stock. Probably, undoubtedly cheaper than Express Trailers.
Looks nice, but I foresee stability issues, have to go carefully.

Any concerns with quality at PA? They are certainly hit or miss.

As far a stability I'm not too concerned. Minitruck springs and shocks and a large, low slung water tank will keep cog low. Will pro ably use 31s instead of 33s. Atoyot1031s shakedown run was the dollhouse in Canyonlands, which he claims wasn't much drama, save for some bump stop issues. . Realistically, that's about as much abuse as I would throw at it.

Any concerns with quality at PA? They are certainly hit or miss.

No, the trailer stuff they sell is good stuff I would think. I'd check their website, and then I'd call their tech line and ask
questions.

Ever think of making your own axles using cruiser front spindles, hubs, springs and disc brakes?

I have wanted to make a tandem flat deck with cruiser spindles and hubs. As well as a small camper trailer.

Check this guys trailer out!
ROTW: Marmaduke HJ61
Bottom of the first page.

This is what I have for now...
891FB696-72A0-4394-9047-94C7ECF7629D.jpeg

Last edited:
That would be great landcruiser spindles and hubs on a trailer. Your truck spare would fit the trailer.

Nice picture!

Thanks!

That’s the plan someday. Maybe even carry the spare on a Spindle and Hub spare as well just in case.

I saved my front drum axle for just that reason for many years... eventually I scraped em though. Still have a spare 45 front axle with XL drums if I revisit the idea.

John built one back before he owned RADD... when he was a teacher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom