Custom Radius Arms for the light duty 70 series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GTSSportCoupe

2LTE abuser
Threads
So the problem with lifting LJ7x and KZJ7x is it screws with castor on both the front and rear axles. It also moves the axles closer together and will increase rubbing with large tires. Most people use castor correction bushings on the front axle to correct the castor. Problem with these is they add a lot of resistance to axle articulation. I notice this on mine. The rear articulates way easier than the front.

The most ideal fix would be longer radius arms with slightly different geometry to put the axles back in the right spot with the right castor angle.

Now I have noticed that the bolt spacing at the axle end of the radius arm is the same as the 80 series. This means 80 series castor correction plates might be an option. However the lower shock mounts are right against the radius arm bracket and would require modification to use the castor plates.

I've noticed there are many custom radius arm options for the 80 series, 105 series, and all the heavy duty 70 series that have front coils. I can't seem to find any custom radius arm options for the light duty 70 series though. Anyone know of any?

Another option I've thought of is seeing if the heavy duty 70 series radius arms would fit the light duty 70 series. They are a different part number. Anyone know the length of the heavy duty 70 series front radius arm? If it's just slightly longer than the light duty one, it might even be a bolt in option.

Thoughts?

I looked up the part number for the heavy duty 70 front radius arms, and they're the same as the 80 and 105 series. So that's not going to work. I think they're much too long. Although maybe I'll grab a tape measure and see for sure (on my friend's HDJ81).

I haver pondered the exact same question. I have had several sets of altered radius arms on my Land Rovers and they definitely make a difference. There is a company on the East Coast called Rovertym. Or, the may have changed that at some point due to pressure from LRNA. But, that's what I know them as. If we could get a donor set, I might could con them into giving a mod a try. That's how the Land Rover ones are done. If they don't have a core set available, you send them yours and they modify them. I am somewhat surprised Slee hasn't started doing more for the LJ's.

Found a company that makes a bunch of stuff for the LJ7x and KZJ7x. Not cheap, but you gotta pay to play I guess! Nice to at least see examples of what can be done. They also sell adjustable panhards and a rear 3-link conversion (among other things).

i_l_15131sahara.jpg

What about something like this? Pricey, but appears to check all of the boxes.

Those are for the heavy duty 70 series. They're too long for our trucks. Look specifically for compatibility for LJ7x or KZJ7x.

I haver pondered the exact same question. I have had several sets of altered radius arms on my Land Rovers and they definitely make a difference. There is a company on the East Coast called Rovertym. Or, the may have changed that at some point due to pressure from LRNA. But, that's what I know them as. If we could get a donor set, I might could con them into giving a mod a try. That's how the Land Rover ones are done. If they don't have a core set available, you send them yours and they modify them. I am somewhat surprised Slee hasn't started doing more for the LJ's.

I wonder if it's possible (and safe) to chop the frame end of our radius arms off, and weld on a piece that corrects the angle and length?

Found a company that makes a bunch of stuff for the LJ7x and KZJ7x. Not cheap, but you gotta pay to play I guess! Nice to at least see examples of what can be done. They also sell adjustable panhards and a rear 3-link conversion (among other things).

i_l_15131sahara.jpg

Those look like Raptor4x4 arms, probably that website is just a reseller. Unfortunately the main website is in Italian and the english version doesn't function properly - RAPTOR 4X4 - OFF ROAD EQUIPMENTS

Screenshot_2019-03-15-23-39-59-098_com.android.chrome.png

Last edited:
That's how several of mine were built. Never had an issue and one of those trucks I know to still be a daily driver 13 years later. I wouldn't trust my welding skills, but the guys that do it have top notch skills, so I never felt uncomfortable with it.
On the adjustable panhards, we installed a set of those from I believe the Philippines on Jim's truck. They were really well built. They have a couple of small issues that needed tweaking, but for the money were a really solid product. I actually only had one thing on them I didn't think was great. And, we couldn't exactly see why they did it. Where the eye end connects,they shrunk the tube down narrower and made a weak spot in my mind.

Talk to @Delta VS because they are already making them for 80's and are here in the USA.

Cheers

If there is interest, we would be HAPPY to adapt our design.

I can talk to my buddy about his LJ78. I don’t know much about his setup beyond custom coil overs. I do believe he recently swapped in ff 80 axels. Let me know if these photos raise any questions, I don’t know enough to speak to them yet.

486C4A92-7884-42DB-8D26-45554669ADC1.png
F9A70619-48E0-4DAF-A1E5-94901A2C2580.png
BA6B6A79-6831-400F-8DA8-3608823C7F3E.png

He’s running 38’s, treppidors (sp) iirc. His truck is fully chopped with a rag top and narrow nose conversion. Its one of the smaller trucks. Lots of mitsu jeeps, 40 Series , and 80 series all on 40’s.

57FBBCAA-F77D-4924-8391-C3A0C5673E4F.jpeg
16E1C725-2CA6-4BBF-B7D5-4FE4BC04D6B0.jpeg

Thanks for the pictures @divemedic. Also, thanks for the offer of development @Delta VS . Not sure at this time there would be enough market to justify the product though....

OK, one thing I did find is a picture of an 80 series arm over a LJ78 arm. Looks to me like the 80 arm might be an upgrade for an LJ7x/KZJ7x (based on the angle). Length looks the same, but I'm not sure. I'm going to see if I can find a couple and try them out!

80 on top, LJ78 on the bottom.

80-series-on-top-prado-on-bottom-jpg.722943

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom