Builds Cummins 6bt/nv4500 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just blew up the photo and noticed 4/97 for build date. Good score. Some people don't like the fuel bowl design but the filters are cheaper.

it is a 97 (same as my cruiser) that came out of a manual 3500. It has the 215hp P7100 injection pump...the holy grail of 12 valves.

I also picked up a 94 6BT with the 160hp injection pump that needs a rebuild...I may slowly build that into a monster motor...don't really have a project for it to go into though....yet.

it is a 97 (same as my cruiser) that came out of a manual 3500. It has the 215hp P7100 injection pump...the holy grail of 12 valves.

I also picked up a 94 6BT with the 160hp injection pump that needs a rebuild...I may slowly build that into a monster motor...don't really have a project for it to go into though....yet.
You won't have to do much to that 215 p pump to get it to move the cruiser at a fast pace.

Last edited:
Just got home from 4 days in North Carolina for work and found this on the kitchen table. My dad brought this over today after cleaning out his garage. It was the first "Toyota" I ever bought back in the late 90's. 4WD with oil filled shocks.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1423348417.833116.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1423348430.996087.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1423348713.991429.jpg

This thing was a blast to play around with. However my dad is not find the battery charger for it and I really doubt the battery would even hold a charge anymore.

You won't have to do much to that 215 p pump to get it to move the cruiser at a fast pace.

Yes I am just planning on replacing all the seals, changing out the springs and the fuel palte...nothing crazy.

For the 94 block, I am thinking I will do a complete rebuild with the plans to make some serious power...I am sure I will find a project to use it in.

Yes I am just planning on replacing all the seals, changing out the springs and the fuel palte...nothing crazy.

For the 94 block, I am thinking I will do a complete rebuild with the plans to make some serious power...I am sure I will find a project to use it in.
Look at what the difference would be if you put in the same #10 fuel plate I used in your pump. Scary power!
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1423356874.164657.jpg

Look at what the difference would be if you put in the same #10 fuel plate I used in your pump. Scary power!
View attachment 1028198

If I put a #10 plate on I am going to first have to change out the turbo to let it breath through all that fuel. I am already planning on replacing the input shaft on the NV4500 with a southbend 1 3/8 shaft. Haven't decided on the clutch yet, but it will be a southbound. My only concern with creating too much power is the torque...I don't want to start snapping axles.

If I put a #10 plate on I am going to first have to change out the turbo to let it breath through all that fuel. I am already planning on replacing the input shaft on the NV4500 with a southbend 1 3/8 shaft. Haven't decided on the clutch yet, but it will be a southbound. My only concern with creating too much power is the torque...I don't want to start snapping axles.
Agree. I'm not a heavy foot driver but it's in my mind that the axles may be a weak link now. Especially with lockers.

Rear fuse panel, on board battery charger, solar controller all finished up this afternoon. The fridge now can be left running full time if I needed. Also added plug outlets in the front bumper for the battery charger and block heater. The Slee bumper was fun to drill 2" holes in.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1423443122.972347.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1423443160.508871.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1423443171.389092.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1423443185.994611.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1423443234.911055.jpg

It was my last full day to prep the truck due to work for Big Bend. I still need to check fluid levels and rotate tires so hopefully I can get those done before i fly out to California for work on Wednesday.

I like that charger, I've had one sitting on the shelf for a while now just waiting for me to install it. Same for the plug, I'm putting two up front; one for the charger, and one for the engine and transmission pad heaters.

What brand of solar panels did you go with?

I like that charger, I've had one sitting on the shelf for a while now just waiting for me to install it. Same for the plug, I'm putting two up front; one for the charger, and one for the engine and transmission pad heaters.

What brand of solar panels did you go with?
Still haven't deceded on a panel. I probably will go with a regular 100w and put on the roof rack but I have also thought of getting the slim flexible kind to mount flush on the hood.

I believe you have the 98+ top plate on your NV4500 and have a short shift kit. I just got off the phone with BD Diesel and they say their shift kit will not work in a 97 trans, even if you swap the top plate. @Mr Cimarron what year was your NV4500 and which shift kit did you install?

I believe you have the 98+ top plate on your NV4500 and have a short shift kit. I just got off the phone with BD Diesel and they say their shift kit will not work in a 97 trans, even if you swap the top plate. @Mr Cimarron what year was your NV4500 and which shift kit did you install?
I don't know the year but i did update the top plate so I could get the shift kit. From what I read when finding parts was the dodge nv4500 were all the same. Only the top plates were different but they were swappable.

I don't know the year but i did update the top plate so I could get the shift kit. From what I read when finding parts was the dodge nv4500 were all the same. Only the top plates were different but they were swappable.

That is exactly what I concluded, but whoever I spoke to at BD was insistent on the fact that the shift kit would not work as the internals are different. I still think he was wrong as the shift mechanism is part of the top cover which you are replacing.

Still haven't deceded on a panel. I probably will go with a regular 100w and put on the roof rack but I have also thought of getting the slim flexible kind to mount flush on the hood.
I've never looked into it, but is there a way to have a solar panel also serve as the rear air deflector?

I've never looked into it, but is there a way to have a solar panel also serve as the rear air deflector?
I'm sure you can. You would just need to find one similar in dimensions but I think it would look odd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom