Cummins 2.8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Icon has a video up and there is a thread on the 60 forum...but I don't think joe public has them yet?

$9000 for bare motor. No wiring. No adapters.

No thanks.

The price tag is complete for 9000.00. It’s not just a bare motor.
PN 5467046 includes:
  • R2.8 Turbo Diesel engine assembly
  • Complete front-end accessory drive (Alternator, Power Steering Pump, Fan Hub, Serpentine Belt)
  • Cam-Driven Vacuum Pump
  • Remote Fuel Filter/Water Separator
  • Remote Oil Filter
  • Mass Airflow Sensor and Housing
  • Engine Wiring Harness and Engine Control Module
  • Starter
  • Flywheel
  • Universal Vehicle Wiring Harness (not including starter wiring)
  • Throttle Pedal
  • J1939 CAN Dash Display
  • Owner’s Manual**
  • Installation Guide**
  • Cummins Quick Serve Online Access**
  • Emissions Testing Information

Sorry, how about $9000 for a motor only. No adapters.

I just don't have anything remotely close to diesel lust. Especially moderately powered Cummins Diesel lust.

For $9000 I would have every possible item for a V8 swap.

Or, in my case, I like 2Fs. I REALLY like my new fuel injected 2F in my 60. That's more my speed. Not spending $9000 on a motor only.

Sorry, how about $9000 for a motor only. No adapters.

I just don't have anything remotely close to diesel lust. Especially moderately powered Cummins Diesel lust.

For $9000 I would have every possible item for a V8 swap.

Or, in my case, I like 2Fs. I REALLY like my new fuel injected 2F in my 60. That's more my speed. Not spending $9000 on a motor only.

Here are the spec differences.
2F engine 135 hp @ 3,600 rpm's and 200 ft lbs. torque at 1,800
R2.8 Cummins 161 hp @ 3,600 rpm's and 267 ft lbs. torque at 1,500-3,000 rpm's.
On top of that the 2f is a 12-14 miles per gallon engine compared to the cummins 28-30 mpg

So the Cummins R2.8 engine is 300 pound lighter than a 2f engine, has 26 more horsepower than a 2f, 67 more ft lbs of torque at a wider rpm range, and gets twice the fuel economy of a 2f engine.

So at a net gain of 14-16 mpg, you would have to drive it almost 50,000 miles before you would pay off just the engine.

The engine will obviously do that, but it would take a long time to drive 50,000 miles in a 55 series.

Or you could do an LQ4 swap for $7500 less and have 300hp/ 360 ft lbs in a 300lb lighter motor.

I also have no love for diesels for diesel sake. The whole gotta have it because its a diesel mentality is kinda beyond me.

but, other people have a lot more money than I do, so YMMV. Always cool to see something new being done.

Last edited:
I like the uniqueness of a Cummins in a pig, if we all had green pigs with F engines this would be a boring hobby.

The net gain of 14-16 MPG the 2.8 offers over the F engine is value added not only in the money savings but also extended range, those of us that drive our pigs for long distances in fairly remote areas to have an engine with similar power and those MPG gains would hard to put an exact value on but it does exist. I for one like the ~1000 mile range afforded me with a Cummins and large fuel tank.

Anyone put one of these things in their pig?

So to answer your question, I’ve been keeping my eye out and I haven’t seen anyone post a Cummins 2.8 in a 55 specifically but if I was thinking about an engine swap and had the budget I would jump right in. Looking at the ICON FJ40 build that would have similar diff offset as the 55 it appears they are able to keep a SUA mild lift and still have articulation without poking holes in the oil pan (very difficult with the 4BT) everything else should be straight forward as far as engine swaps go.

So at a net gain of 14-16 mpg, you would have to drive it almost 50,000 miles before you would pay off just the engine.

The engine will obviously do that, but it would take a long time to drive 50,000 miles in a 55 series.

Or you could do an LQ4 swap for $7500 less and have 300hp/ 360 ft lbs in a 300lb lighter motor.

I also have no love for diesels for diesel sake. The whole gotta have it because its a diesel mentality is kinda beyond me.

but, other people have a lot more money than I do, so YMMV. Always cool to see something new being done.

You are exactly using an apples to apples comparison. The Cummins engine is brand new with wiring, power steering pump, brackets, belts, alternator, ect... All brand new! You are not purchasing a complete brand new oem LQ4 engine for $1,500.00 or $7,500.00 less as you stated. The Cummins is $9,000.00. Granted you can pick up a used junk yard engine, however huge difference them and not a fair comparison.

So if the funds are available I think it makes sense for a brand new powerful fuel efficient engine. It just depends what your goal is and budget.

The MPG gain is purely mythical. You still have poor aerodynamics to overcome. I doubt I'd get 20mpg out of either of my piggies.

Everything is hypothetical until proven right?

Apples and oranges to the conversation above but somewhat applicable, my SBC was an old 350 mostly stock and a two barrel Holly carb, this engine would get 8-10 MPG on its best day driving around town and ~5 MPG pushing 75 MPH on the highway, the 4BT in the same pig has double the HP and gets 20- 24 MPG driving around town or keeping it around 55MPH on the highway and 18 MPG driving it at 80-85MPH on the highway.

I believe the new 2.8 Cummins is much more efficient than the 4BT I have and would expect some impressive MPG numbers everything else being equal.

Has AA released any transmission adapters for the 2.8 yet?
Quick Google search says yes but no Toyota specific kits yet.

AA is only showing two kits available at this time.

712594-A : CUMMINS 2.8L TO GM LS (GEN lll &lV) TRANSMISSIONS

712593-A : CUMMINS 2.8L TO JEEP 6CYL. DRIVETRAIN

Not sure if someone makes an Aisin AX15 transmission to Toyota split case adaptor but that would be a good inexpensive option and just use the AA 712593-A kit.

I had heard rumors that Cumins would release another crate engine that was a bit bigger, like a 3.something. Anyone heard this?

My comment is in reference to the close to 30mpg claim.

Agreed and so was mine.

I stand in the I’ll believe it when I see it camp but still think it’s plausible with the right combination of parts, tuning and driving habits. If someone was going to get in the upper 20’s to lower 30’s for MPG it would almost certainly be with a smaller displacement computer controlled engine with sufficient torque to push a pig at highway speeds. The Cummins 2.8 looks to be as likely as any to get it done but until it’s done its speculation.

I had heard rumors that Cumins would release another crate engine that was a bit bigger, like a 3.something. Anyone heard this?

I happened to watch a little segment called dirt every day last night, the Cummins guy that helped put the 2.8 in tube sock and also supplied the v8 for the roadrunner mad max build confirmed they are actively looking at what the next crate offering would be, either a bigger 4, a 6 or possibly an 8. He also was coy about Toyota using a v8 upcoming...but with Nisssan already there I find that doubtful.

Love the banter on the engine swap yay vs nay diesel vs v8....:popcorn:

A 5000# brick with a 4:10 axle gear and 1:1 transmission top gearing is not going to get 30 mpg at legal safe highway speeds. (75mph in MI)
If you could get an OD gear in the .60:1 range to utilize the torque at low engine speeds it might work
otherwise, I just don't see it happening.

a T-56 would do the job. theres an adapter to a 2.8. $3k for the trans and $1500 for the adapter, but no cruiser case adapter.

An NV4500 is only $1500, has an adapter to both the Cummins and the Cruiser ($1000ish), but only has an OD ratio of .73

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom