CT12B durability (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
anyone run these to the point of ruining them?
My wife has been using the 78 series for the past couple of weeks and had been complaining about whistles and air noise, I though yep whatever blah blah blah
Checked on weekend and low and behold my dodgy bleed off has fallen off so no wastegate at all and on checking the gauge shows max 25psi when flat out up a hill
Does wonders for the EGT , showing a max of only 550 deg celsius

Might run this all the time once intercooler is plumbed in

Will the turbo last?

Probably not. Some of the Supra guys are running those. Seems they may start coming apart at that kinds of boost. I believe they regularly run them to 20PSI however. New billet turbine wheel would probably solve the breaking apart issues for a while.
I have no actual experience with that turbo, my info is just from reading on the Internet, so take it for what it's worth.

The 550 C , might be the problem ....
Alluminiamo pistons melt at arround 640 C.
If the Egt , is post turbo , you should add approx 50-70C to the reading .

Renago

The CT 12 B with 25 PSI? It's a "no-no"

Seems to me that your westgate no longer opens. You should check the pressure hose that comes to the actuator, probably is interrupted somewhere, or popped out at one of it's ends.
Soon you will have oil passing trough the bearing and you risk engine runaway.

The CT 12 B with 25 PSI? It's a "no-no"

Seems to me that your westgate no longer opens. You should check the pressure hose that comes to the actuator, probably is interrupted somewhere, or popped out at one of it's ends.
Soon you will have oil passing trough the bearing and you risk engine runaway.

was actually asking if anyone has run these to destruction not "what might happen"
I know the waste gate has fallen off

TD05 on my nissan patrol farm hack runs no wastegate and 23PSI for the last 6 years

Ive hooked it back up , adjusted spill valve and running 20psi now, will be towing my smaller digger(2.5ton)this weekend for 400 approx ks lets give this a test ( finishing intercooler plumbing on Friday night)

was actually asking if anyone has run these to destruction not "what might happen"
I know the waste gate has fallen off

TD05 on my nissan patrol farm hack runs no wastegate and 23PSI for the last 6 years

Ive hooked it back up , adjusted spill valve and running 20psi now, will be towing my smaller digger(2.5ton)this weekend for 400 approx ks lets give this a test ( finishing intercooler plumbing on Friday night)

Is this a 1KZTE or 1KZT. If it's the electronic version, how are you getting around the factory fuel cut? I think it happens around 14-15psi?

I've read about the CT12 being on the weak side too. However, I think it applies more to the ceramic versions and not the steel versions. I believe all the diesel versions are steel. In my reading, I have not heard of the steel ones self destructing even at high boost. In fact, some of the Supra guys have their CT12's modified to accept the diesel steel turbine so that they can run higher boost.

Do you have an intercooler? That will help a lot to reduce EGT's at the high boost levels.

its the 1KZTE, I used a zenner diode on the map sensor to dump the extra voltage when boosting over 14psi, works a treat was only 80cents for the diode from Jaycar electronics,
yep intercooler mounted and half plumbed up so finish this off on Friday

Good news about the the steel shaft at least if it craps the bearings it will be easy to rebuild

its the 1KZTE, I used a zenner diode on the map sensor to dump the extra voltage when boosting over 14psi, works a treat was only 80cents for the diode from Jaycar electronics,
yep intercooler mounted and half plumbed up so finish this off on Friday

Good news about the the steel shaft at least if it craps the bearings it will be easy to rebuild

Looking forward to pictures of the intercooler! Nice work.

I have "fried" 3 pieces up to now on my 1KZ-T racing cruiser. Exactly the same recipe - west gate off, and pedal to the metal. They were slowly loosing boost and eventually oil flooded the intake. Average lifetime was 3 races, or 5-6 racing days.

After getting tired of the CT12, I manufactured a new exhaust manifold and adapted this Garret:
thumb_c4988689-7846-4a0e-8f85-04f9cd698f18_1024.jpg

It's capable of 22-25 PSI of boost, trouble is the IP cannot keep up with it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom