Crusty connectors behind bumper drivers side (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m sure this has been asked but I’m not hitting the correct search terms. Highly likely I will put the bumper back on and ignore these completely, but the curiosity is getting to me. What are these for, and why are they so nasty? Found behind the bumper on the drivers side, just next to the fog light harness, looks for sure factory. Truck wasn’t messed with until I got it. 2001 LX470
E7FE3B1B-E554-4E9B-8B53-371B253C56A9.jpeg

Last edited:
What year / model ? LC or LX? There are a lot of those empty connectors around the engine bay in my LC. The LX seems to have more of these plugged in for AHC and other components that don't apply to LC.

Although I don't like how crusty / corroded that one looks. Is the other covered in axle grease? Time for new boots / CVs?

Oops, 2001 LX470. That black stuff was pretty hard, almost like epoxy or melted plastic. CA car, no rust at all, but it would probably catch some spray off the tire. That corroded connector seems very out of place vs the rest of the vehicle condition. Not causing any problems, I'm most interested in what factory accessory it could be powering up there in front of the drivers side wheel. That is a lot of connections for something. I've seen a factory Toyota winch on a 100 series, could these be for in cab controls? Obviously not big enough for power for a winch.

Oops, 2001 LX470. That black stuff was pretty hard, almost like epoxy or melted plastic. CA car, no rust at all, but it would probably catch some spray off the tire. That corroded connector seems very out of place vs the rest of the vehicle condition. Not causing any problems, I'm most interested in what factory accessory it could be powering up there in front of the drivers side wheel. That is a lot of connections for something. I've seen a factory Toyota winch on a 100 series, could these be for in cab controls? Obviously not big enough for power for a winch.
I'll poke my head under my 2002 LC tonight to try and add some insight. I don't think the LX would have any sort of factory winch setup, only LC.

I'm going with, they probably do nothing and no cause for concern but it's weird to see that type of white corrosion, is that like the same gunk you would see on a battery? Maybe poke around with volt meter to see if they are powered. Maybe clean em up and just electrical tape em off?

Why are you taking your bumper off?

Just messing around with some lighting upgrades, put some selective yellow fog lights in the bumper grills, upgrading the others to LED. I’ll be doing the pin mod at the steering column to run the brights with the fogs on tomorrow, I’ll poke around at the mystery connectors and see if there’s any power running to them. The bumper has definitely been off this before, half the tabs are broken off the bottom and it had some random hardware and a not great repaint, so it is possible something was removed or damaged in an accident up front.
I'll poke my head under my 2002 LC tonight to try and add some insight. I don't think the LX would have any sort of factory winch setup, only LC.

I'm going with, they probably do nothing and no cause for concern but it's weird to see that type of white corrosion, is that like the same gunk you would see on a battery? Maybe poke around with volt meter to see if they are powered. Maybe clean em up and just electrical tape em off?

Why are you taking your bumper off?

F323DA65-6454-411E-8056-E6780C120700.jpeg
EF34FD64-38B1-4A27-ACE0-7E342AFDB130.jpeg

Nice that looks good..

Yeah interesting for sure. We'll need to see if someone with an LX can peek under the front bumper as mine may be different. Will be dark after work but I'll check soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom