Crossbars for a 2011 GX 460 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking at crossbar options for a 460. Just wondering if anyone has suggestions. I’m not expecting to put too much weight up there. Maybe a luggage bag and fishing rod tubes.
Thanks,
Ed

Hey there,
I’m looking for some crossbars myself. There were some issues with the OEM ones being too low with a certain Thule box.

I’m debating about getting the aftermarket cross bar on eBay for $78 or just waiting ( a long time) for a full roof rack option. I don’t have an immediate use, but I’d want something up there just in case.

Check this link for more info.

GX 460 Roof Rack/Bars - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Hey there,
I’m looking for some crossbars myself. There were some issues with the OEM ones being too low with a certain Thule box.

I’m debating about getting the aftermarket cross bar on eBay for $78 or just waiting ( a long time) for a full roof rack option. I don’t have an immediate use, but I’d want something up there just in case.

Check this link for more info.

GX 460 Roof Rack/Bars - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Good info in that thread. Thanks!

Your only suitable options w/ the factory 460 rails are either OEM or Inno. There are some Rhino options which include removal of the rails but they are expensive. I personally put a set of Prado rails on mine which are raised like the 470 and offer more crossbar options from Yakima/Thule but in hindsight, I wish I had just ordered the Inno feet and rails.

Your only suitable options w/ the factory 460 rails are either OEM or Inno. There are some Rhino options which include removal of the rails but they are expensive. I personally put a set of Prado rails on mine which are raised like the 470 and offer more crossbar options from Yakima/Thule but in hindsight, I wish I had just ordered the Inno feet and rails.

Hey spd33, curious why you would go with the Inno feet and rails. Which ones were you eyeing? I’m new to this and trying to figure out what to put on top of my GX. Roof rails, basket, platform, which brand. First world problems for sure.

I have Yakima crossbars on mine. Work great.

Hey spd33, curious why you would go with the Inno feet and rails. Which ones were you eyeing? I’m new to this and trying to figure out what to put on top of my GX. Roof rails, basket, platform, which brand. First world problems for sure.
If you haven't already, you may want to think deep on where you will eventually want to take your rig in building it.
Most of us are of the mentality of "buy once, cry once" rather than doing interim purchases constantly upgrading.
But again, if just cross racks will be all you will ever need, great!
I just wanted to throw that out there because come readers don't always think far enough ahead and will needlessly spend upgrading over and over than just getting what they wanted/needed to begin with.

If you haven't already, you may want to think deep on where you will eventually want to take your rig in building it.
Most of us are of the mentality of "buy once, cry once" rather than doing interim purchases constantly upgrading.
But again, if just cross racks will be all you will ever need, great!
I just wanted to throw that out there because come readers don't always think far enough ahead and will needlessly spend upgrading over and over than just getting what they wanted/needed to begin with.

Thanks for the advice. I don’t exactly know what I’m going to use the roof racks for yet. I feel like a platform might be best long term but a bit of an investment if I don’t use it much. Think I’m going to wait a bit and see what I’m going to need it for.

Question to anyone: what do you use your roof rack for?

Thanks for the advice. I don’t exactly know what I’m going to use the roof racks for yet. I feel like a platform might be best long term but a bit of an investment if I don’t use it much. Think I’m going to wait a bit and see what I’m going to need it for.

Question to anyone: what do you use your roof rack for?
Good idea to just wait.
I have my RTT on mine. If it wasn't up there, I'd be using it for surfboards and skis and the occasional trip to Lowe's if I have to bring home some long lumber.

I've hauled two kayaks on the factory cross bars.

Pulled my factory rails off and was shocked by the amount of contour the roof had and how much metal the factory rails had, very stout. Roof has tall crown, wish I could rinoline it and use like a truck bed.

Could easily use captured nuts and bolt direct to factory rails (top & inside) rather than flimsy looking brackets most racks use. Not sure what to do. I want to carry 4x8 sheets, something retractible. I do carry pelican cases on my 4runner’s factory rack, wind noise gets loud too.

i put them back on.......will probably weld up my own gobi copycat.

when I just installed the Front Line slim 2 rack I was shocked at how good the OEM rails are. No one wanted them so I tossed them. Now Front Line is loud wind noise maker. I regret purchasing it. Should have stayed OEM. So now searching for the damn wind fairing since Front Runner is sold out. Sucks big time. Regret my purchase due to loud sound OEM was silent!

when I just installed the Front Line slim 2 rack I was shocked at how good the OEM rails are. No one wanted them so I tossed them. Now Front Line is loud wind noise maker. I regret purchasing it. Should have stayed OEM. So now searching for the damn wind fairing since Front Runner is sold out. Sucks big time. Regret my purchase due to loud sound OEM was silent!

I've seen guys use a Yakima wind deflector on the FrontRunner rack. Sorry to hear that it's loud, but I am not surprised when you consider the shape of the leading edge of the platform and how high it sits off of the roof line.

I've seen guys use a Yakima wind deflector on the FrontRunner rack. Sorry to hear that it's loud, but I am not surprised when you consider the shape of the leading edge of the platform and how high it sits off of the roof line.
I am trying all kinds of wind fairings for sure. Ordered a bunch of no name. Similar to Yakima. We will see if it helos

I am trying all kinds of wind fairings for sure. Ordered a bunch of no name. Similar to Yakima. We will see if it helos
In case you'd like to build your own fairing out of whatever material you'd like, I made a template for the GX.
Open the PDF, print the sheets on 11" x 17" paper at FULL 1:1 scale. Do not scale or "Fit" when printing. After printing, match up the vertical lines, splice and tape them together along the vertical lines.
The holes are for mounting on my Gamiviti rack. I made mine out of clear Lexan from Lowe's so I can use the LED light bar on my rack.
If you want to see how that project came out, here's the link, start at post #70: Builds - R2M 2013 GX460 Overland Build

Attachments

• fairing_100_rev2.PDF
    22.7 KB · Views: 61
In case you'd like to build your own fairing out of whatever material you'd like, I made a template for the GX.
Open the PDF, print the sheets on 11" x 17" paper at FULL 1:1 scale............
If you want to see how that project came out, here's the link, start at post #70: Builds - R2M 2013 GX460 Overland Build

Wow! Can you please post that drawing as a pdf in ARCH E (36”x48”) page size? and I can have it printed at my local fedex office. Better yet.....If i had that in dxf format, I would post it on thingiverse for all to use and it could be water jetted by anyone. Justin

Reactions: r2m
Here you go! If you need any other translations, SolidWorks is pretty flexible.

Attachments

• fairing_100_rev2 36x48.PDF
    6.9 KB · Views: 63
  • fairing_100_rev2 36x48.DXF
    81.3 KB · Views: 52

Are you using their Ridgeline System?

Are you using their Ridgeline System?

No mine are railriders or something like that. I think they’ve been discontinued; I ordered mine off eBay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom