Cross Canada Trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

Have a few questions...

I was wondering if anyone has driven their FJ40 across the Rogers Pass in Alberta Canada, if so wondering how well it did.

I will be driving my FJ40 from Vernon, BC to St John's Newfoundland (6700km) in August. I see the Rogers Pass as my first and most imposing challenge on the trip.

Also what would you check before you made a cross Canada trip? I'm already making a list (mostly electrical), maybe one of you can think of something I haven't.

What would you pack for tools/ spares?

I've been building this truck for quite some time while I have been out of the country. I only had the chance to drive it for a few days last Christmas 2015 when I was back home for a ski trip. It's a Toyota though... I'm sure it will be fine.

Wow that's a long drive in a 40. I drove mine from Vancouver down to pismo beach California , I had a v8 though , the v8 liked the highway so it was a decently relaxing cruise. I took spare alternator , starter and distributor stuff , spare ujoint tools tire repair stuff , but my cruiser had a ton of old and recycled parts That where ready to pack her in at any time. That being said it was an uneventful trip. No breakdowns at all. Bring ear plugs. I wish I had. Good luck with the trip. Take lots of pics.
If your rig is well maintained and in decent shape I would think you will be fine.

I checked everything and changed most fluids. Driveshafts steering components brakes. Engine tranny mounts , rad mount ,tires , u-bolts ,visually inspected all my wires cleaned grounds. Tightened all body bolts , plugged all holes in the firewall and floor checked all heater hoses , fan belts , I checked everything. That's a long drive.

:cheers:

Wow that's a long drive in a 40. I drove mine from Vancouver down to pismo beach California , I had a v8 though , the v8 liked the highway so it was a decently relaxing cruise. I took spare alternator , starter and distributor stuff , spare ujoint tools tire repair stuff , but my cruiser had a ton of old and recycled parts That where ready to pack her in at any time. That being said it was an uneventful trip. No breakdowns at all. Bring ear plugs. I wish I had. Good luck with the trip. Take lots of pics.
If your rig is well maintained and in decent shape I would think you will be fine.

I checked everything and changed most fluids. Driveshafts steering components brakes. Engine tranny mounts , rad mount ,tires , u-bolts ,visually inspected all my wires cleaned grounds. Tightened all body bolts , plugged all holes in the firewall and floor checked all heater hoses , fan belts , I checked everything. That's a long drive.

:cheers:
Those are some good tips. I never thought about a spare alternator. Changing the fluids actually wasn't on my list yet either but it is now :)

The truck was stored in a garage for 17 years before I bought it. The PO said everything was rebuilt before it was put in the garage an honestly by the looks of everything I beleive him. I've done a ton of work to it since too. No engine work besides cleaning the carb. But it seems to run great.

Going to be a marathon drive but honestly I'm looking forward to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom