Cracked intake manifold (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey

My 71 FJ started running rough. I found that the manifold flange was cracked near one of the studs and into the plenum. I used some high temp silicone as a temporary fix. It is completely cracked through and leaking. A couple of questions:

Does anyone have experience using the aluminum brazing rod? I have seen a demonstration and it looks easy to use. It is said to be as strong as the aluminum but I have my doubts. I found very little online other than "its stronger than the base metal". In real life, can this actually work.

If I go with a replacement does anyone know the range (by year) of manifolds that would fit? It's used off road only so smog compliance is not a real issue. I noticed there are wide and narrow runners. I think either would be ok, with a preference for the narrow one. Since its a ranch truck, it spends a lot of time at idle and low speed. If I could pick one up at a reasonable price that would be my preference. I have looked at a couple of the forum vendors and on ebay, found little and found nothing reasonable.

Any help would be appreciated.

John

Jack
I didn't notice the "Classifieds" pull down tab at the top until you got me looking. Sometimes the obvious to hard to see. I put up an ad, see if there is anything available.
Thanks
John

I was going to post this one up for sale in the classified section. I got 2 in a set and only used one on my 69 and have this one left over.
Not sure if it will fit your set up.
I honestly have no clue on price (maybe others can comment) and I've also never used it. PM me if interested

IMG_1393[1].JPG

IMG_1394[1].JPG

IMG_1395[1].JPG

I've used the Aluminum brazing rod to fix cracks in the underside of the intake where it bolts to the exhaust. Worked fine for that, and seems strong enough, but I don't know about a spot that has torque on it. I would have that flange alum welded by a pro. If you try the brazing rod, heat the intake in an oven at 250* for 20 mins, first. The brazing flows much better then.

Spike, You are probably right. It's best used for something that is not loaded. It seems that these manifolds are not hard to find. I thought it would be more of a problem.

Upperblack, I put a notice up in the classified section and got an offer. If that falls through I will get back to you with a PM. It sounds like we will need to verify that it will fit anyway. Thanks for the interest.

Did you see that the one pardion posted is sitting in front of A WHOLE SHELF of them? My shelf of intakes used to be that big too.

I saw the shelf. I think he may be trying to corner the market.

Trust me, there are FAR better things to corner the market on. John and I have just been in this 'cruiser thing for 30 years, and stuff just kind of happens. He'll set you up with a good one.

Best

Mark

Trust me, there are FAR better things to corner the market on
They may turn to gold someday. You never can tell what people will want in 20years.

I did talk to Pardion and we have a deal in the making. Much better route than trying to repair the old one.

They may turn to gold someday. You never can tell what people will want in 20years.

I guess that means you should hang on to your cracked one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom