crack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2f motor and there is a growing crack on the exhaust manifold right where the exhaust pipe meets up. What to do? Should I start looking for a new manifold or is this something that can be welded and fixed?

I have a matched set of intake and exhaust I could sell you. It is off of my F motor. Would it fit? If you think so, suggest a price to pay.

It can be repaired by someone with experience and the capability to weld cast iron. But, before you decide what to do you should remove the manifold. The mani might, as what happened to me crumble to pieces upon removal. Further inspection might reveal more problems with it too. In any case, good luck with it.

I have a 2f motor and there is a growing crack on the exhaust manifold right where the exhaust pipe meets up. What to do? Should I start looking for a new manifold or is this something that can be welded and fixed?

It can be repaired by someone with experience and the capability to weld cast iron. But, before you decide what to do you should remove the manifold. The mani might, as what happened to me crumble to pieces upon removal. Further inspection might reveal more problems with it too. In any case, good luck with it.

is it a 1 piece manifold? can't say I've seen a 3 piece unit crack, not saying they don't just can't remember seeing one crack.

X2 on what rsbcruiser stated. for what you can buy a used 3 piece unit for it's almost easier to swap.

Everytime I have had that manifold off it has remained in one piece. What am I looking at $ for a new three piece? Would the three piece work if I originally had a one piece? Thanks

Read through that thread. Thanks! I now know that I have a one piece. Now I wonder what kind of three piece would fit on my 1975 2f. It seems complicated or really is there only one option. Thanks in advance. I guess that I will have to check out the intake now...

My original exhaust manifold broke many years ago. I got headers. I think that the two manifolds were matched at the factory, might be hard to make 1 new one match your other manifold. I've never liked the 3-piece exhausts, were those the "thermonucular" manifolds?

I have heard that headers won't fit onto a 55 without power steering. Would I have to get a new intake if I go with the headers?

Wouldn't you know it, just can't be a easy fix:mad:!

Some headers won't fit. The old Downey headers fit fine. You do not need a new intake manifold to fit headers.

the thermo nuclear manifold was a cali spec 76-78?
any 3 piece from other states would be good. you could get a later center section with front horn on it and use an earlier rear horn, 77/78?, that way there is no provision for EGR

myself, I haven't had good luck with headers, probably cheaper units, and all PO installed.

Pictures always help!
bathroom2 014.jpg
bathroom2 016.jpg
bathroom2 017.jpg

looks like you have no heat riser either, that's bad for the intake, unless there is a divertor plate in there to keep the hot exhaust from the manifold.
if you want to stay stockish, go with a 3 piece unit, they were made to give alittle with the heating/cooling cycles versus the 1 piece that cracked.
they weigh abit for shipping, where are you located? you might find one close by you.

thanks . I am in Southern California. Yea, the heat plate was all gingus so I took it out. Didn't think that it would a big deal. Maybe I'll be able to fix two things at once. So I am on the quest for a new one. Any help out there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom