Cot vs. pad? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dissent beat me to it, but if you have trees where you camp, the comfort of a hammock can be unequaled. Not an inexpensive way to go by the time you buy hammocks, tarps, underquilts, and top quilts as it really starts to add up. I have back issues, wake up every morning with paint in a normal bed. My back never feels better than a night sleeping in my hammock.

Resurrecting this thread to give my two pennies. The Exped Megamat is hands down the most comfortable mat I have ever slept on. Comparable to my home mattress. If you have an REI go in and lay on one. They have a very high R value too.

And it is flat so you don't roll off of it. I hate pads with the curved baffles throughout.

How about both? IMO pad only vs cot only, pad wins as long as it's a nice one like Exped (or even REI's version). Cots are nice because you're off the ground, easier to get up and out of, and you can store stuff underneath and not clutter the tent. But cot only is not terribly comforfortable. That said, we use both cot w/ mat on top and it's awesome. I've been eyeing an upgrade to our cots, something wider, like so: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GLGRVU8/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 May even try their "foam" mat, eventually, not matter what brand of "air" mat they will spring a leak. It's a big setup though, having to carry two cots and two of their mats would take up some space.

My wife and I sleep on an Oztent Goanna. No pads other than the built-in pad. Works for us.

How about both? IMO pad only vs cot only, pad wins as long as it's a nice one like Exped (or even REI's version). Cots are nice because you're off the ground, easier to get up and out of, and you can store stuff underneath and not clutter the tent. But cot only is not terribly comforfortable. That said, we use both cot w/ mat on top and it's awesome. I've been eyeing an upgrade to our cots, something wider, like so: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GLGRVU8/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 May even try their "foam" mat, eventually, not matter what brand of "air" mat they will spring a leak. It's a big setup though, having to carry two cots and two of their mats would take up some space.

I haven't found a cot that will hold my LW Exped Megamat. I had the REI contoured cot, and it was ok, but not nearly as comfortable as the Exped. If I could find a huge cot, that would be the best of both worlds. I'm a side sleeper, so a thick and comfortable mat was a game changer.

I just got back from a "glamping" expedition to camp and kayak on the Johnstone straight. I was told they had thick Thermarest pads. Unfortunately they were the base camp model (and not one of their better, thicker pads). Had a great time but did not have great sleep.

I have tried Exped Megamat in my RTT. It just can't seem to find the proper inflation as I have
arthritis in my shoulders and hip. So they are for sale. I don't enjoy the feel of the air mattress, so
back to square one. Probably going to ground tent and cot with foam.
Does anyone have experience with Latex Foam pads? Its real rubber, no synthetic material
at all.

I haven't found a cot that will hold my LW Exped Megamat. I had the REI contoured cot, and it was ok, but not nearly as comfortable as the Exped. If I could find a huge cot, that would be the best of both worlds. I'm a side sleeper, so a thick and comfortable mat was a game changer.

I just got back from a "glamping" expedition to camp and kayak on the Johnstone straight. I was told they had thick Thermarest pads. Unfortunately they were the base camp model (and not one of their better, thicker pads). Had a great time but did not have great sleep.
I have a Cabela's XL Cot that should easily fit your LW Exped mat. It's almost the same footprint as my REI Half Dome II tent. Check it out.

I bought the cot below, for my son-in-law’s LXW Megamat... fits perfectly.

“600 Denier polyester fabric and steel legs hold up to 325 lbs. At 78” long and 31” wide, this full sized cot accommodates people well over 6’ tall”

https://www.amazon.com/Byer-Maine-EasyCot-Camping-Assemble/dp/B003JDE3JY

Last edited:
I have tried Exped Megamat in my RTT. It just can't seem to find the proper inflation as I have
arthritis in my shoulders and hip. So they are for sale. I don't enjoy the feel of the air mattress, so
back to square one. Probably going to ground tent and cot with foam.
Does anyone have experience with Latex Foam pads? Its real rubber, no synthetic material
at all.

It’s a shame you can’t use your Megamat.

I love my Exped Megamat 10 MW... it fits the passenger side of my 40 and is easy to pull out and tent-sleep on it, on this cot —> https://www.amazon.com/Osage-River-Collapsible-Traveling-Lounging/dp/B076Y5ZY27

I’ve worked out the air pressure to get a comfortable firmness that doesn’t hurt my arthritic shoulders, hips, back and legs.

Before I got my Megamat, I used a full sized, 2.5” egg-crate mattress topper, from WalMart.

I folded it, making a 5” mattress and used an electric knife to shave the PS door side to match the FJ40 profile, for 44, or my cot.

It was very comfortable, I was able to sleep comfortably, even before my spine was fused. But, the 5” thickness made it somewhat bulky on the passenger side of 44.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom