Continual problems with rear door locks / linkage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
07 GX470 with about 180K miles on it. Bought it about 6 months ago, and ever since the alternator and exhaust / cats were replaced shortly after purchase my rear door locks have been a nightmare. First they just wouldn't work with the fob, dealer determined it was the actuators and wanted over $1K to repair it. I had another local shop with a good reputation do it for about half that. Then next thing I know one of the linkage cables breaks (no idea why) and now it seems the same thing has happened on the other side. Lock doesn't operate via actuator, handle just flops around to and fro without engaging anything and door is basically not able to be opened. Only event that might have contributed to it was my 8 year old 90lb niece was wrestling around with her brother in the back seat right before we noticed there was an issue.

Any thoughts? I'm assuming Lexus doesn't design systems that a dinky small little girl could destroy with pretty much no effort? Are these known for being routinely problematic or did I probably just get a lemon?

Have you tried pulling the door card off and looking? The mechanical linkage between the latch mechanism and the handle is a big long rod with a ball that snaps into the handle. There isn’t much that can go wrong unless the handle has been physically damaged.

Have you tried pulling the door card off and looking? The mechanical linkage between the latch mechanism and the handle is a big long rod with a ball that snaps into the handle. There isn’t much that can go wrong unless the handle has been physically damaged.
Haven't taken it apart no. I live in a high rise apartment and park in an underground garage so I have no space to work on it. All I can do is take it to a mechanic in town I know and that knows Toyotas inside and out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom