Connecting Rod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here is the question in hand. Are the connecting rods interchangeable between 1 and 2Fs:confused: Thanks, Fuzz :beer: :popcorn:

The rods are interchangeable as far as dimensions go, BUT the MOST IMPORTANT thing is to make sure that the WEIGHTS are similar. There is almost always a fluctuation in weight between rods EVEN ON THE SAME engine, which is one of the principle reasons that the engine vibrates so much at higher RPMS.

If you are contemplating swapping rods between engines, I would not do it unless you are prepared to weigh them and check weights. And if you're gonna do that, you might as well consider match-weighting them.

Hth

Mark A.

I bought a set of 2F rods that have been balanced. The areas that the weight was removed (by grinding )is very questionable, I'll post some pics tomorrow and get some feedback. I get what you're saying tho. Thanks, Fuzz

Here are a couple of pics of a balanced rod, is the normal areas to remove weight?:confused: The piston end looks kinda scary:eek: Thanks, Fuzz

Last edited:
I had mine balanced, and the machine shop did a much neater job of it. Generally it is done by drilling a large diameter, but very shallow hole in the rod wherever the most mass is.

Probably some crack-head used his balance beams and a dremel tool and went to town on it!

I'm on the "That don't look right" side of the fence on that one. What is the thickness at it's thinnest point? What is the thickness of a standard non-shaved rod end?
If that thing comes apart - the piston will slam into your head at best - and grenade the engine at worst. I'd replace it with a new or reliable used rod if it were me - hate to waste an entire rebuild trying to save a few bucks.

I have NEVER had a balance shop [and I've been thru about 6 of them in the last 16 years] grind metal off the small end of a rod; only down the shank.

The problem is finding where to grind metal when the difference between the lightest and the heaviest rods can be as much as 40 grams!:eek: This is why I typically give my machinist 30 or 40 connecting rods with an engine assembly. That way he can find 6 out of the batch that are within 10 grams to start the balance assembly.

If that's your only questionable rod, I'd definitely hunt up another one and have it match weighted.

Best

Mark A.

Note that the pictured rod is a later 2F rod w/ the forge-whacked beam. Try to find another rod that looks like it.

All rods should be balanced w/ the cap installed & nuts snugged down, and the pin bolt installed & snug.

Have 'em grind any small end material off the outside of the bolt boss, all around the shoulder of the pin bore and uniformly& lightly off the outside of the pin end.

HTH.

Well, this is the worst of the bunch, I used it as a example, it had the cap on it, but removed for clearence checking. The set was purchaced from a cat on eBay, When I bitched about the quality of the workman ship, the seller agreed to refund my $$s:) and stated "just throw the damn thangs in the trash":eek: So, i guess that he didn't think too much of them to start with. A negitive feedback may be in order, I dunno yet, mixed emotions felt here.:confused: Thanks,Fuzz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom