Coming soon! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am about to finish this truck and I'm looking for a little advice. I have considered an over the top interior finish that includes supple leather, the interior is original and in above average condition. I have the original split rims with era correct tires and hubcaps, I also have 31x10.50x15 Toyo MT tires. This truck is original except for the paint which was just completed. Everything operates as it should and some very special details are still in existence such as: Correct etched glass and locking mechanisms for rear sliders, bug screen at front vent, correct knobs, correct key, etc.

I posted a couple pictures on a local facebook forum and it seems people appreciate the upgraded wheels and tires over the originals, what does this community think? Should I create a more upscale interior? I wouldn't manipulate the dash, however, should I include a stereo? I'm apprehensive about detailing the underside as it gives the appearance of covering something up, currently there are not any leaks and the original underside is presentable. I did replace the oil bath filter line which is no longer original, the crimp clamps were leaking. I always hope to preserve as much of the original cruiser above retro mod status but I also feel that the true compliment is using them regularly. Any amount of research will show that I have received some less than favorable input and made some great friends at the same time, I'm honestly looking for advice and suggestions. Thank you in advance for any contributions to this effort.

PS, I have taken detailed pictures to document the rust free state of acquisition. Thank you, L.

thumbnail_IMG_3139.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3145.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3138 (1).jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3144.jpg

It is not. Should it be listed? I have (3) of these, is "The list" important for legacy?

Nice truck only thing I can think of is get the original 15" wheels and period correct hub caps. Not sure the year your truck is but those hub caps started during the 69 model and five years later then the end of the fixed top. Too nice of truck to doing any harder wheeling then forest service roads so over size tires without any lift or suspension upgrade is really nothing more than trying to be a poser. But it looks like your restoring it sell it and maybe the FB crowd is easy to fool by just adding bigger tires.:meh:

Thanks to all who have contributed. In as much as we wear watches when we all have phones aesthetics play a roll in what we drive too. I do have the original hubcaps as well. There is a fine line between original and desired. I do agree that a parade vehicle should be original but man do the radial tires improve the ride quality. I suppose the buyer can choose their recipe? I enjoy all the respective points of view, thanks.

Not sure how forest service roads became parade vehicle? You say it's all original having been driving with this type of steering since 1974 can tell even a completely rebuilt steering system from steering wheel to wheels it will be easier to drive with original size tires on original rims. Curious did you completely rebuild the steering including the steering box? My avatar is a one owner 1970 FJ40. That's original paint, worse thing is the original owner installed a 2F in the seventies. The hubs are locked all the time since it's only use is forest roads. Pavement is only to get there which is less than a mile. Does stay in a insulated garage but never been in any parade.

Forgive me, I meant it crosses the railroad tracks more comfortably with radials. It does steer super
Easy with the bias ply tires for sure. Right now I'm just playing with it and enjoying different stuff that was in the garage. You have an interesting cruiser and story, perhaps you should start a thread detailing your setup? The steering is original And I'm sure I will go through it shortly. Thanks for sharing information about your full time 40 with a 2F that the previous owner installed in the seventies.

Reupholstered seats with better firmness make for a much more comfortable long highway trips, especially for passengers

Or let the next owner do what & how they like

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom