Cold start help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi , I’m new here and have found past posts very helpful so thank you all for your time and knowledge. I need help resolving an issue and thought I would try to post. I bought a 89 fj62 back in December and it runs fairly well when warmed up but it runs rich but when starting off a cold start it won’t maintain an idol till it’s warmed up( I have to keep revving) it will just sputter then die. I have replaced a lot of engine parts including the mass air flow sensor, all vacuum hoses, throttle position sensor, thermostat and all sensors on it, cold start sensor and injector, idol air control valve, and I even tried replacing the computer. Admittedly some parts were used so now I’m second guessing if they were ok to begin with .
Codes 51 and 28 come up on the check engine and while I have tried replacing the mass air flow with no change I have noticed that when I take it off and try to run it with out… it will start right up and run great off a cold start ( but since it’s off of I press the glass it will die)
Any thoughts as to what this is or what I should look at next that might be the culprit ?
Thanks in advance for everyone’s time!

Hi, Last time the valves were run? Compression ok?
Hi , thanks for the response ….I have not done a compression test because it runs well when it warms up or when the the mass airflow sensor is removed ( on start up )
It would run terrible all the time if the compression was bad right?

Grab the FSM and start testing. Code 51 is a "sensor" code for A/C sensor, TPS, or neutral safety switch. Since the rig starts, it's not the neutral safety switch. Setting the TPS is kind of a pain but it's detailed in the FSM. 28 is an O2 sensor. Good luck!

Grab the FSM and start testing. Code 51 is a "sensor" code for A/C sensor, TPS, or neutral safety switch. Since the rig starts, it's not the neutral safety switch. Setting the TPS is kind of a pain but it's detailed in the FSM. 28 is an O2 sensor. Good luck!
Hi , I’m new here and have found past posts very helpful so thank you all for your time and knowledge. I need help resolving an issue and thought I would try to post. I bought a 89 fj62 back in December and it runs fairly well when warmed up but it runs rich but when starting off a cold start it won’t maintain an idol till it’s warmed up( I have to keep revving) it will just sputter then die. I have replaced a lot of engine parts including the mass air flow sensor, all vacuum hoses, throttle position sensor, thermostat and all sensors on it, cold start sensor and injector, idol air control valve, and I even tried replacing the computer. Admittedly some parts were used so now I’m second guessing if they were ok to begin with .
Codes 51 and 28 come up on the check engine and while I have tried replacing the mass air flow with no change I have noticed that when I take it off and try to run it with out… it will start right up and run great off a cold start ( but since it’s off of I press the glass it will die)
Any thoughts as to what this is or what I should look at next that might be the culprit ?
Thanks in advance for everyone’s time!
Hi , thanks for the response ….I have not done a compression test because it runs well when it warms up or when the the mass airflow sensor is removed ( on start up )
It would run terrible all the time if the compression was bad right?

If you have a 3FE FJ62

The 1990 is the largest and most in-depth

Grab the FSM

Paper print media too !!

PDF ,s are so passé ….🙄

Last pic is the publication #

611A1ED8-1363-4C5E-A46B-90952551AA08.jpeg
1325ADF6-48D6-4402-A64A-4ECF4BEC5139.jpeg
BCDA9A3A-7021-4FB1-ABA8-9C305A911C53.jpeg
AE9EA8D4-B40E-486D-84C3-B613799B7FF7.jpeg

@Bigbear25 , 1st, welcome to this band of LC addicted freaks n reprobates :flipoff2:(official welcome). 2nd, as @ToyotaMatt hinted at, get the paper copy. the batteries don't wear out. n a h3ll of a lot easier to read than a phone screen with grease n glare. hope you get the bugs worked out

@Bigbear25 , 1st, welcome to this band of LC addicted freaks n reprobates :flipoff2:(official welcome). 2nd, as @ToyotaMatt hinted at, get the paper copy. the batteries don't wear out. n a h3ll of a lot easier to read than a phone screen with grease n glare. hope you get the bugs worked out

do you think HE has a Sissy AZZ & WeAK PDF :popcorn: .........?

1687833683478.png

Last edited:
you've lost me with that one matt. some days i are slow :hillbilly:

the fellow in the Covert Ops photo holding a Rifle , does NOT use or rely on " Sissy AZZ and weak PDF 's "

he holds his Gun in one hand and uses real OEM paper print media FSM's and thick PHONE BOOK size factory Repair manuals with the other hand .....

it's ok to be slow some days ....

i am just glad your fellow
MUD member , that is all that matters to me ...:D

btw , i do actually practice what i preach , i sure as hell don't own any silly weak TOYOTA anything FSM' PDF 's ..🤣

1691128242044.jpeg

Last edited:
the fellow in the Covert Ops photo holding a Rifle , does NOT use or rely on " Sissy AZZ and weak PDF 's "

he holds his Gun in one hand and uses real OEM paper print media FSM's and thick PHONE BOOK size factory Repair manuals with the other hand .....

it's ok to be slow some days ....

i am just glad your fellow
MUD member , that is all that matters to me ...:D

btw , i do actually practice what i preach , i sure as hell don't own any silly weak TOYOTA anything FSM' PDF 's ..🤣

View attachment 3390202
that's the way some corner in every gearheads shop should look like. the office in my shop is a twin to yours:hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom