Clutch question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Two days ago, I noticed my clutch pedal was pushing in much easier than normal, but my 60 went into gear and I was able to make a quick run to the store. Yesterday, I got back in and had shifting trouble. At first, I couldn't get it out of reverse until I released and pushed clutch back in. Then at times I couldn't shift. At a stoplight in 1st, it was trying pull as if the clutch was not pushed in and then died. I limped home in 3rd gear rolling stop signs and trying not to kill her.

I really don't know anything about the M/T system. Any hints on things I might want to check before getting her to a mechanic?

Thanks!

There are basically 3 components in the system that are likely causing the issue. 1) clutch master cylinder, 2) clutch slave cylinder, 3) clutch hydraulic line, 3a clutch fluid.

most likely your clutch slave or master is failing. It’s possible you have a leaking clutch line but you should see fluid under the truck if so. Lastly the clutch fluid could be so old that it’s finally not operating properly.

all that said it’s probably a good ideas just to put in a new slave, master, line and of course all you fluid and you will beset for a longtime.

There are basically 3 components in the system that are likely causing the issue. 1) clutch master cylinder, 2) clutch slave cylinder, 3) clutch hydraulic line, 3a clutch fluid.

most likely your clutch slave or master is failing. It’s possible you have a leaking clutch line but you should see fluid under the truck if so. Lastly the clutch fluid could be so old that it’s finally not operating properly.

all that said it’s probably a good ideas just to put in a new slave, master, line and of course all you fluid and you will beset for a longtime.

Thanks! My FJ60 was built in April, 1984. Am I reading correctly that the master cylinder changed in '85? Do you have a favorite vendor for the parts?

Also, does that mean my rig is not an easy candidate if/when I ever wanted to entertain an H55 swap?

It means you have to do a little more to put in a 5 speed but it’s not like you have to do anything extreme. I’m not sure what the cutoff in VIN numbers is.

Two days ago, I noticed my clutch pedal was pushing in much easier than normal, but my 60 went into gear and I was able to make a quick run to the store. Yesterday, I got back in and had shifting trouble. At first, I couldn't get it out of reverse until I released and pushed clutch back in. Then at times I couldn't shift. At a stoplight in 1st, it was trying pull as if the clutch was not pushed in and then died. I limped home in 3rd gear rolling stop signs and trying not to kill her.

I really don't know anything about the M/T system. Any hints on things I might want to check before getting her to a mechanic?

Thanks!
If it's hydraulic system it sounds like you may be leaking hydraulic fluid out of the master or slave and somehow you are getting air into the system. Try doing a double clutch in other words pushing the clutch in twice and see if the reverse is Shifting correctly. When you push the clutch pedal in does it feel spongy? Check the master cylinder reservoir level.

Just like a clutch slaves on wheels the clutch slave and master typically should be replaced at the same time because they were at the same time but if you're strapped for money just replace the leaking component and bleed the clutch system.

Is there a FSM that has the manual transmission system in it? i thought I had downloaded all of the FSMs but I don't see it in any of them.

Is there a FSM that has the manual transmission system in it? i thought I had downloaded all of the FSMs but I don't see it in any of them.

Ah. My copy of the Chassis-body FSM was incomplete. I found full copies.

But, my FJ60 is from April, 1984. So the 84-90 manual says October84 for a start year. Does that mean I need to refer to the 1980 manual? If there is another for early 1984 models, I haven't found it yet.

After a few months the leak is getting worse. It looks like it’s coming from here. That’s neither the master nor slave cylinder. Does anyone know what gasket and where to find?

4222BE70-43F2-4BBC-A339-BF308D201546.jpeg

76956A0E-2BC1-4497-B10D-6CB1408EC3D5.jpeg

DBB0C930-7CAC-4FFA-B078-E4AE4B2F9A0A.jpeg

You are looking at the wrong end of the engine to figure out clutch problems. So, did you ever fix your clutch problems? The leak you are showing above is either oil or coolant. The pictures with the wet belts looks like it is coolant (green antifreeze) which would mean something above the bottom crank pulley is leaking. There is a weep hole in the bottom of the water pump housing, so check that.

I would start by cleaning up all the mess as good a you can. If you can borrow, rent or buy a cooling system pressure tester, you can pressurize the cooling system and look for leaks. It's hard to see underneath the water pump, especially with the engine running.

If I'm wrong and it is oil, not coolant leaking, then probably your timing cover or release seals is leaking.

But fixing these leaks won't effect how the clutch is working.

You are looking at the wrong end of the engine to figure out clutch problems. So, did you ever fix your clutch problems? The leak you are showing above is either oil or coolant. The pictures with the wet belts looks like it is coolant (green antifreeze) which would mean something above the bottom crank pulley is leaking. There is a weep hole in the bottom of the water pump housing, so check that.

I would start by cleaning up all the mess as good a you can. If you can borrow, rent or buy a cooling system pressure tester, you can pressurize the cooling system and look for leaks. It's hard to see underneath the water pump, especially with the engine running.

If I'm wrong and it is oil, not coolant leaking, then probably your timing cover or release seals is leaking.

But fixing these leaks won't effect how the clutch is working.
Ok. Thanks. This leak spot was after the cruiser sat for a couple of weeks. The fluid in my master cylinder reservoir has emptied and this is above the fresh wet spot on the card board I placed below the vehicle so I made the assumption. I’ll look further

You know where the master cylinder is, on the drivers side fire wall. The hydraulic tube goes from the master, behind the engine valve cover and drops down to the slave cylinder, which is mounted behind the engine and in front of the transmission. There will be a flexible hose connecting the other end of the hydraulic tube to the slave cylinder. There are like three connectors, one at each end and one where the flexible hose connects to the hydraulic tube. Inspect each of the fittings for leaks, inspect the flexible hose for leaks. On one end of each of the master and slave cylinders is a dust boot. carefully peel back the boot and look for fluid (it should be dry behind the leak. The rubber boot for the master can be accessed from inside the drivers cabin, in front of the clutch pedal. Also look for fluid leaking down the inside of the firewall behind the carpet. These are basically the only places where this system will leak.

Ok. Thanks. This leak spot was after the cruiser sat for a couple of weeks. The fluid in my master cylinder reservoir has emptied and this is above the fresh wet spot on the card board I placed below the vehicle so I made the assumption. I’ll look further
The rear seal of your master cylinder can fail & let brake fluid inside the cab. Check in the area around/under the clutch pedal.

OK. I found that when I press the clutch, a drop or two of fluid comes out of the rubber spout part of the boot on the slave cylinder. So, I'm moving forward with a replacement of both the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder.

Does anyone have a recommendation on what and where to purchase? OEM or Aisin? Best shop to use? Cruiser Outfitter seems pricier than others for what looks to be the same parts. Mine is the 1984 FJ60, btw. It looks like maybe they are different for the 85-87. Thanks to all!

OK. I found that when I press the clutch, a drop or two of fluid comes out of the rubber spout part of the boot on the slave cylinder. So, I'm moving forward with a replacement of both the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder.

Does anyone have a recommendation on what and where to purchase? OEM or Aisin? Best shop to use? Cruiser Outfitter seems pricier than others for what looks to be the same parts. Mine is the 1984 FJ60, btw. It looks like maybe they are different for the 85-87. Thanks to all!
Both of mine are aisin. Install is very easy to do yourself, but you may need a helper to pump the pedal when you bleed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom