Events/Trails Cleghorn Trail March 30 or 31 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is anyone interested in coming along with us next weekend to Cleghorn Trail? The trail looks like fun. From what I have read, it sounds like there are bypasses for the tougher stuff. The trailhead is about 1/4 mile south of Hwy 138 at the 15.

See the write up from Dirtopia:
Cleghorn Ridge Trail is a combination of two parallel trails, one difficult and the other easy that intersect at several points. Beginning at Silverwood Lake, California Hwy 138 Google Map this trial offers ridge top views over Mount Baldy and ends at I-15 Cajon Pass exit 129 Google Map or back to Hwy 138 again Google Map The difficult trail runs from Silverwood Lake entrance to this intersection, the rest is easy.
The roughly graded route in this trail is suitable for medium clearance 2WD in dry weather. The US Forest Service has designated this trail as 2N47.
There is a separate 4WD trail (marked as X2W47) that runs parallel to the main route and is smaller. This one intersects the main trail often and has a rating of "difficult". The good news is that drivers are able to view the route beforehand and can choose the sections they want to leave out. The start of the trail has an easy rating which gets tougher as you move towards the top of the Cleghorn Ridge.
It is advisable to use a smaller vehicle as the less difficult areas too require good wheel articulation and placement between boulders and obstacles.

Mike

Will check with war department, sounds fun.

In Solvang next weekend, cant make it.

Has to be Sunday now. My sons Lacrosse Game moved to Saturday. If this weekend is not good for many, we can push it out a few weeks.

I wont be able to make it this weekend, I'm still trying to break a jeep on Kauai but at least its gotten me to some cool spots! If you end up pushing it out a week or 2 let me know and I'll make it!

There’s a good chance I’m headed out there Sunday to explore. If it is as good as it sounds, I’ll head back out there and possibly lead a run when more people are available. As of now a friend is trying to make it with a Jeep.
Mike

What a trail! We had a epic day of 4 wheel fun!

We arrived at the trailhead 30 minutes later than expected. My friend with a new Jeep Rubicon (all stock) and I aired down and hit the trail within minutes of arrival. I guess the 2 hours of drinking coffee and driving to the trailhead had us kind of wired. The trail starts off with 2 wheel drive fire road for approximately 3 miles. At around 3 miles, start looking for the offshoots. As described online, each offshoot eventually ties back into the fire road. Many (but not all) are short enough that they can be scouted prior to committing. I would say the first offshoots start mild and progressively get tougher as you wind your way east. While I wouldn't say the first few were simple, they were easy enough to let our 14 y/o boys take the wheel with spotters. That would change by the midway point of the trail. By the midpoint, the boys were content with filming, spotting and just being happy they were not in the trucks. We managed to do every one of the offshoots from the beginning to the end. One of the offshoots has a rock painted with big black letters warning you not to go.... Did we take their advice.... NO! Do I wish we had taken their advice... YES! Once we had started down and cleared the first obstacle, their was absolutely no turning back. We were 100% committed and had to forge on. There were many rock ledges and VERY off camber 2 track trails with major holes, ruts and rocks to climb over. On some of them we had to pull the mirrors in so they wouldn't drag the sides of the cutout trails. At one point I actually drug the rear quarter panel on the dirt side. Fortunately, no dents and only very minor scratches. We spent a lot of time on 2 or 3 wheels. Pucker factor was 10+. I'm pretty sure that I chewed (or gummed) a hole in my seat cushion! A Jeep went endo forward on one of the first obstacles after the "warning" rock. They were behind us by 20 minutes or so. We did not witness the accident and really don't know what would have caused it. Everyone on the trail was talking about it. I guess they got the jeep back on its wheels and he was able to drive out on the fire road. I'm attaching a link to one of the scarier moments along the trail. Check it out below.

We will definitely go back and hit some of the offshoots again. Key word being "some". There are some I would only want to do again....In someone else's truck! I would rate many of these trails as very difficult after the recent rains. Some of the more "extreme rigs" looked very much at home. Our little 5000lb "Hundy" was out of place. My friend in the stock Rubicon had some trouble but ran everything we did. There was a lot of dragging going on.

Teaser pics below:

Check out this link (if easily offended, turn down the volume). The video quality is not great. The real action starts @ 2:30. Before that I'm just inching along. Way more gnarly than it looks here.
IMG_2106.JPG
IMG_2110.JPG

IMG_2095.JPG

IMG_2106.JPG

IMG_2110.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom