Cleaning Electrical Receptacle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ATwoZ

SILVER Star
Threads
So I finally got pieces together for installing the led step lights on my slee sliders. Got the skids off, went to dry for and saw the electrical receptacles were corroded, either that or filled with crap from plows.

Anyone run into this before? Ideas on how to clean them out? I came across 'deoxit' not sure if it's appropriate or not. Main caveat is that these are very much attached to the car so not a ton of manueverability.

I attached one with some small screw driver bits, but hit my limit.

20200314_154412.jpg

20200314_154318.jpg

CRC makes an electrical friendly liquid cleaner in a spray can.

Deoxit works very well. Then you can use dialectic grease to try to prevent future corrosion.

I don’t have a sense of scale on the connector, but I have some tiny brushes and sandpaper attachments for my variable speed Dremel that might help clean that out. It will have to be much cleaner to be useable and before Deoxit or dialectic grease will help. Be sure to use the grease on the connector seal also.

I’d be concerned with how far up the copper wire the oxidation has “wicked”. Are you saying your step lights have the mating connector installed on them? Myself personally, I’d cut the connector off and put my own, new connectors on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom