Builds Classy build (triple locked) 2019 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the compliments, guys - "she's" mine. Feel free to shoot me any questions/comments about my build specs.

That truck will also be getting BudBuilt skids (sitting in the garage waiting for the truck), and misc rear suspension parts from @TRAIL TAILOR. Rear bumper TBD - most likely a Trail Tailor item as well, since Jason's shop is only a few miles from my home in Redding. ARB drawers possibly being added once I get the truck and establish if my BIG dogs fit in back with the drawers (hoping so, for the added organized storage).

Thanks @Eric Sarjeant for providing the ability to rather quickly replace another "built truck" and being so easy to work with.
Take a look at the mid-height drawer system. I have several labs and this caught my eye.

Take a look at the mid-height drawer system. I have several labs and this caught my eye.

Looks like the mid height system is about half the overall height of the regular system - but only provides 3" of interior space...not sure how much recovery/camping gear I could actually fit into one of those. Be interesting to see them in person or maybe get some picts if anyone has installed one.

Last edited:
Looks like the mid height system is about half the overall height of the regular system - but only provides 3" of interior space...not sure how much recovery/camping gear I could actually fit into one of those. Be interesting to see them in person or maybe get some picts if anyone has installed one.
I hear ya. I want to use it for shotguns (broken down SxS or O/U) laying flat In their soft cases. And boxes of shotgun shells etc. So 3 inches probably works for me and hides the shotguns. I need the details of the inside dimensions to make sure it will work.

I hear ya. I want to use it for shotguns (broken down SxS or O/U) laying flat In their soft cases. And boxes of shotgun shells etc. So 3 inches probably works for me and hides the shotguns. I need the details of the inside dimensions to make sure it will work.

Even with my existing ARB drawers...I’d actually love to add short drawers or maybe just one side under both of my main drawers as they’re perfect for many of the small, heavy or long items that end up underneath other stuff in my taller drawers.

If I could find a way to keep the useful side kit kit working despite additional side height, I’d seriously consider adding them. Might even consider one tall side and one short, which would make sleeping on the short side feel much less like sleeping g in a submarine (no headroom...sleeping in a “tube.”

Great looking build. Mine is being put together in similar fashion. What did you use to mount panel in sunglass bay? Difficult to run wires from there to control module?

Thanks.

The mid height system has 5”-5.5” of usable space. The Roller Floor only has 3”:

8A974183-DB9E-4DA7-AE9B-FEE8F8773B88.jpeg
5716F18E-8CE6-4F95-8EDC-628B13812295.jpeg

Great Job Eric. That truck is absolutely amazing. Very tasteful modifications but it is a shame to think that will ever be covered in mud! Hopefully the owner enjoys that beast for many years to come. Would love to see a video in of it in some off road action so we can see what Triple lockers are capable of. Great color choice! lol

Great looking build. Mine is being put together in similar fashion. What did you use to mount panel in sunglass bay? Difficult to run wires from there to control module?

Thanks.

Eric has the link, but search for a 3rd Gen Tacoma Switch Pros Mount, and you'll find it.

If this thing ever does any real offroading I'd be surprised. Sure hope I'm wrong.

Yes, you are. If I only intended keep her on the road, I'd have built an "all show and no go" truck (no ARB's, no bumper/winch, add 20" or taller rims, skip the BudBuilt skids, and use ARB's side steps). Could have looked the part, but never really used. My last truck (2017 TRDP 4Runner) ran the Rubicon with nothing more than RCI skids, Shrockworks sliders, and an Icon lift...with just 1000 miles on it. I enjoy using and driving my vehicles - no garage statues ;)

It has been done but on older trucks that apparently have different ECU encryption. And the older 6spd auto.
Eric has the link, but search for a 3rd Gen Tacoma Switch Pros Mount, and you'll find it.

Yes, you are. If I only intended keep her on the road, I'd have built an "all show and no go" truck (no ARB's, no bumper/winch, add 20" or taller rims, skip the BudBuilt skids, and use ARB's side steps). Could have looked the part, but never really used. My last truck (2017 TRDP 4Runner) ran the Rubicon with nothing more than RCI skids, Shrockworks sliders, and an Icon lift...with just 1000 miles on it. I enjoy using and driving my vehicles - no garage statues ;)

That being said, you don’t need to defend yourself. It’s your truck. A lot of people get jealous over other people having nice things and take shots at them. That’s an awesome truck and it’s yours to do what you want with. No need to justify it to anyone. It’s awesome.

Thanks. He hooked me up. Enjoy the ride.

Eric or Nor Cal...can you give some insight on the gear IPO? Is that because of tire size? Is that a torque increase?

Wow, Eric and @nor_cal_cyclist! This is an awesome build! Far more than I will ever need but I certainly enjoy seeing someone put this all together and doing so in such a clean way. Thanks for sharing!

I am particularly interested in the bumper and lights. Any issues with the front camera or radar cruise system? (IIRC correctly the Summit install has a relocation for the camera. I'm just wondering how much it effects its usefulness.). I am still thinking about this bumper and either these lights or the 6's. Now that I'm living in Bend, OR I'll be doing even more driving of forest service roads and such throughout the Cascades and I fully expect an encounter of the deer kind at some point. All that said, I would love to find a very competent, experienced and trustworthy shop to do the install since I would prefer not to drive all the way back to Denver to have Slee do it. (I love Slee, I just don't want to drive that far if it isn't necessary.)

Since you are in Redding, @nor_cal_cyclist, where do you all drive? I haven't been in this area to know what is available. I've look just a bit at the OBDR but I'm a bit concerned it is too narrow for our trucks. I believe there is something similar in Washington. Is there a Backroads Discovery Route in northern CA?

Not judging, but just curious: why did you use 2 red tops and not 2 yellows? Also, did you route battery cables to firewall or across the radiator?

Wow, Eric and @nor_cal_cyclist! This is an awesome build! Far more than I will ever need but I certainly enjoy seeing someone put this all together and doing so in such a clean way. Thanks for sharing!

I am particularly interested in the bumper and lights. Any issues with the front camera or radar cruise system? (IIRC correctly the Summit install has a relocation for the camera. I'm just wondering how much it effects its usefulness.). I am still thinking about this bumper and either these lights or the 6's. Now that I'm living in Bend, OR I'll be doing even more driving of forest service roads and such throughout the Cascades and I fully expect an encounter of the deer kind at some point. All that said, I would love to find a very competent, experienced and trustworthy shop to do the install since I would prefer not to drive all the way back to Denver to have Slee do it. (I love Slee, I just don't want to drive that far if it isn't necessary.)

Since you are in Redding, @nor_cal_cyclist, where do you all drive? I haven't been in this area to know what is available. I've look just a bit at the OBDR but I'm a bit concerned it is too narrow for our trucks. I believe there is something similar in Washington. Is there a Backroads Discovery Route in northern CA?
Thanks Dan!
This bumper did require the ARB camera relocation kit but does not effect the usefulness of the front camera/birds-eye 360 camera at all. Also (thankfully) the bull bar did not/does not effect Dynamic Radar Cruise Control or Pre Collision System. That was a huge concern of mine that was a non-factor at the end of the day.

Not judging, but just curious: why did you use 2 red tops and not 2 yellows? Also, did you route battery cables to firewall or across the radiator?
Maybe in hind sight, Yellows would have been better. I think Reds crank better, but Yellows trickle better? I initially bought Odyssey Extreme, but group 34, oversight on my end. So on electrical day, we realized the Slee tray was too small (group 35). We had Reds in stock and customer and I made an executive decision on the fly to roll with it.

Eric or Nor Cal...can you give some insight on the gear IPO? Is that because of tire size? Is that a torque increase?

I chose to change the gears due to a combination of larger tire size, greatly increased weight, and spending quite a but of time at our place in Tahoe (6400'+).

@Dan Higgins - I take my trucks out to the local OHV park above Shasta Dam for local fun. I can also head up todawrd Mt Shasta, and find good trails headig west towards the Trinity's/Marble Mtns. But mostly, this one will be used down in and around Tahoe and as an exploration vehicle in the West (love Moab, Bryce, many parts of CO, in-laws in Jackson WY, etc). AS to a Cruiser competent shop out here - no idea if Metal Tech will work on your truck, but I know Jason aka @TRAIL TAILOR will, and he's located in Redding. As the past Western Region Rep for TLCA, I pride myself in trying to meet fellow "Cruiser guys" when they are passing thru for a bite or quick cup of coffee...compare trucks/notes and BS a little ;) PM me if you're heading S on 5, and we'll meet up if I'm in Redding.

I had planned 2 Odyssey's and as Eric stated, just a last minute decision. I figured I'd keep the build going and can always grab a couple Odyssey's and switch if the Optima's show any signs to trouble (I've heard of decreasing quality control once they moved manufacturing out of the country). Also, with the size/mounting of the bullbar, I really don't think it matters which way the battery cables were routed.

Also, with the size/mounting of the bullbar, I really don't think it matters which way the battery cables were routed.

Agreed. I’m about to wire up dual optimas without a front bumper and I’m just gathering reference points. Apparently Slee, and factory diesels wire via radiator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom