Cig/12v not powering USB charger (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.handselreid.com
Ever since installing my Kenwood double DIN head unit I have had trouble getting my 12v cig lighter to power my phone charger. The adapter that goes in lights up green so it is at least getting some power. Then when the USB cord is connected from it to the phone... the phone is not charging.
I checked the "cig" fuse and realized that one fuse powers the radio and cig oulet when I removed it to check and the radio shut down.

I assume I didnt wire the new stereo wrong since the cig outlet still gets power (green light on adapter is on). Is is possible that the new stereo unit (being a big screen instead of an AM only analog unit) is stealing so much power from the cig outlet so that it doesnt have enough power to charge my phone?

I am such an electrical dumb dumb I can't believe I even went this long without having to ask a question like this...
Thanks so much in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this.

Vehicle: 1991 HZJ75 troopy 12v Australian spec

Update: just got it to work for some reason. Turned on ignition, checked the outlet with my mulitmeter and saw it was getting 12.35 - 12.45 volts. plugged in USB adapter, then cord, then phone and it was working. Its almost like the multimeter activated it to work properly. Now I am even more confused and convinced that electrical is nothing but wizardry ! :meh:

Last edited:
How are you running your TV 12 volt or 240/120 inverter. I would pull the power from the TV and check your charger again. Try and find a cheap multi meter and check your circuits for output when the TV is running.

Is is possible that the new stereo unit (being a big screen instead of an AM only analog unit) is stealing so much power from the cig outlet so that it doesnt have enough power to charge my phone?

Does it make a difference with some extra RPM? But phone chargers don't draw too many amps, so it should have enough for both.
The cig lighter outlet tends to lose a few volts as they age. Mine wont run a car small car fridge, although specs wise it should.

Last edited:
Mine is similar, my socket is out of round, sometimes doesnt make a good enough of a connection to run my stuff and have to shove it in and twist (giggidy). I get alerted when my gps and dash cam make the beep for power lost. You may have had a crappy physical connection. A little jiggle or twist in the socket fixes mine, too lazy to fix as now have usb charging block in teh roof console

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions / help guys. Voltage reads 12.4 when ignition is in ACC position. Same reading with Screen/ radio on. When engine is running and radio is on the voltage to it reads around 14.4. So its getting enough voltage. After chatting with @beno today about other parts we decided I should suck it up and stop avoiding getting in there and checking out the wires hahaha. Seems like a bad / inconsistent ground or something. It works and doesn't work so randomly I think this must be it. I will report my findings.

@AndrewHadji My previous jiggle and wiggle attempts have not made a difference. I'll try harder next time to get really giggidy if the wiring doesn't provide an answer.

@roscoFJ73 as far as RPM's go... I have tried pugging in the phone to charge at idle and at cruising speed and neither works usually. When it works it works everywhere. When it don't, it just don't

Same problem whether stereo is on or not?
How did you connect stereo's constant memory power?

Do you have any other 12v ciga socket accessories you could test the socket with? Have you tried the charger in another vehicle to see if it functions there?

Same problem whether stereo is on or not?
How did you connect stereo's constant memory power?
Yep, after some experimentation the stereo being on or off does not make a difference. I'm busy holding a torch to a stuck bolt for a while today but later today or tomorrow I am going to double check all the wiring in the dash around stereo / cig outlet.

When connecting the new stereo I just matched colors of existing wires to new wiring harness. I'll take pictures when I dig in to investigate.

Do you have any other 12v ciga socket accessories you could test the socket with? Have you tried the charger in another vehicle to see if it functions there?
Yep tried different cords and 12v > USB adapters to make sure. They all worked in a friends car too. And sometimes it works in mine haha

If stuff works elsewhere reliably and iffy in yours that suggests the socket is problematic.

Hello,

Cigarette lighter contact springs sag in old age. Charger terminals cannot make good contact with them, and no power is available.

The lighter can be disassembled. It is possible to re-arch the contacts, clean them and reassemble.

You can also replace the lighter.

As for the radio, make sure the ground cable is properly connected. Otherwise, the radio will not work.

Fancy new radios can coexist with phone chargers and other devices that use the cigarette lighter, provided they are properly grounded.

Last but not least, make sure your charger's plug has a fuse that can be replaced. Many phone chargers do not have fuses; any voltage variation will fry them, and may affect the phone/device as well.

Juan

Well.....this is embarrassing. After pulling apart most of that area of the dash and double checking the wires I realized the cable to the phone I was using is bad on one side (the newer iPhone style that should work either way). After putting the dash back together I tried the cord both ways just by accident and one way worked and the other didnt. I realize now when I took it inside and hooked it into the wall I just got lucky and plugged it in the way it works. Just brought it inside again and tried it both ways in the wall socket and sure enough... one bad side and one good side.

WOW :bang:. Sorry guys, thanks for the help anyways. I would've solved it even if it was something else thanks to your input.

Edit: @JuanJ I wish I would've posted this a few minutes earlier to save you the time of typing...Thank you for your input. Maybe this will come in handy in a search for someone else with an actual issue at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom