Chopped in half 60 series gas tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

I cut this fuel tank in order to fit in the trash can. I figured I'd post pics so anyone curious could enjoy.

ForumRunner_20130711_155859.jpg

ForumRunner_20130711_155916.jpg

ForumRunner_20130711_155944.jpg

ForumRunner_20130711_160041.jpg

ForumRunner_20130711_155859.jpg

ForumRunner_20130711_155916.jpg

ForumRunner_20130711_155944.jpg

ForumRunner_20130711_160041.jpg

this is nothing new but youd think having an oil (even though its very thin) would protect the inners of a fuel tank from rust..

thanks for posting

Gotta love that ethanol- nothing like water to help with rust, I say.

Very cool- thanks!

t

Never seen the inside of a 60 series tank before. Thanks for sharing that.

And yet another reason to avoid ethanol mixed scam gas.

Does your sending unit work? I might fly to AZ just to go through your garbage and get one that works

I hope you haven't thrown it out yet. Any way to show how the sump/pickup for fuel is set up? I'm thinking of building a larger long range replacement and that little bit of info would be truly helpful. I really appreciate you posting these pics.

BTW why did you cut it out?

Last edited:
Never seen the inside of a 60 series tank before. Thanks for sharing that.

And yet another reason to avoid ethanol mixed scam gas.

Avoid it if you can......here in NJ we can't get ethanol free anywhere.

Zack

Avoid it if you can......here in NJ we can't get ethanol free anywhere.

Zack

I'm kind of curious as to how you all blame ethanol? I sort of think it just sat essentially empty, and condensation caused the rust. But I'm open to reasoning here.

I'm kind of curious as to how you all blame ethanol? I sort of think it just sat essentially empty, and condensation caused the rust. But I'm open to reasoning here.

Rust can happen anywhere...did the ethanol help, i'm sure it did.
But my concern over ethanol is related to the damage it may cause to older vehicles, boats, power sports equip, and so on. Even for a modern car the MPG's suffer as a result of ethanol, not exactly helping the environment. Basically all around E-10 is awful all around!

Zack

Mikeob1,
Thanks for the cutting and pics; I'm looking an building an oversized tank for the HJ60 diesel and looking for a few more ideas--like Cruiserpilot noted above, will modify my p/u location now that I understand better how Toyota did it-making the little containment area to hold fuel during slosh/angled driving when almost empty to avoid air/fuel/air/fuel cycles.

Thanks,
MG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom