Choosing spring rates for King shocks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking to upgrade my OME slee kit to king shocks.
I have the current setup
1 x Pair SPC-25465 Upper Control Arm
2 x OME2722 Rear Coil Springs
2 x Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Sport 61029 Rear Shocks
2 x Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Sport 91005 Front Struts
2 x OME2702 Front Springs (625 spring rate)

Looking to upgrade to front and rear King 2.5 but I'm not sure about the spring rates for the front.
places like filtymotorsports have 3 options for spring rates 600,650, and 700.
For the rear, I'm planning on going with 2723 for my trailtailor rear bumper.

I'm currently on a stock front bumper and I'm worried by going 650 or 700 to accommodate for the future upgrades will ruin ride while I'm on the stock bumper (I might add a TJM T13 bumper + winch in the future).

For what its worth, I have factory bumpers and run the TJM heavy front springs with my lift. Going from factory suspension to this set up, I don't feel that it is harsh or too stiff. That being said, when the truck is loaded down with 5 people, 2 big dogs and luggage, it rides even smoother at highway speeds.

For what its worth, I have factory bumpers and run the TJM heavy front springs with my lift. Going from factory suspension to this set up, I don't feel that it is harsh or too stiff. That being said, when the truck is loaded down with 5 people, 2 big dogs and luggage, it rides even smoother at highway speeds.
What’s the sprint rate for those?

I'm looking to upgrade my OME slee kit to king shocks.
I have the current setup
1 x Pair SPC-25465 Upper Control Arm
2 x OME2722 Rear Coil Springs
2 x Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Sport 61029 Rear Shocks
2 x Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Sport 91005 Front Struts
2 x OME2702 Front Springs (625 spring rate)

Looking to upgrade to front and rear King 2.5 but I'm not sure about the spring rates for the front.
places like filtymotorsports have 3 options for spring rates 600,650, and 700.
For the rear, I'm planning on going with 2723 for my trailtailor rear bumper.

I'm currently on a stock front bumper and I'm worried by going 650 or 700 to accommodate for the future upgrades will ruin ride while I'm on the stock bumper (I might add a TJM T13 bumper + winch in the future).

You will be fine with 700# spring in front. Just don’t crank the coilover when running stock bumper. Once you add weight of front bumper adjust coilover to your desired height. I ran this setup for a year without weight in front. I have OME 2723 340#/in spring rate for rear.

You will be fine with 700# spring in front. Just don’t crank the coilover when running stock bumper. Once you add weight of front bumper adjust coilover to your desired height. I ran this setup for a year without weight in front. I have OME 2723 340#/in spring rate for rear.
Thanks for the info! Did the ride quality change a lot after adding a front bumper?

It was slightly stiffer than stock without steel bumper. But 700# spring rate is ideal for winch and steel bumper. I only had to crank icon coilovers to 2.5” after steel bumper/winch to fit 285/75/17 with tundra arms. My rear springs feel stiffer than front when I don’t have weight in the back. Once weight is on them they behave. No issues with full stuffing any tire when wheeling.

Coming close to purchasing it. If you don't crack the coilover without the front bumper, will you still get a 2.5" lift? I'm running 34" tires and definitely need at least 2.5" lift.

Just add spacers on top of the coilovers to get the height you want without cranking up the preload on the springs.
There are 10, 15, 25, and 35 mm spacers available.

The lift to spacer height ratio is approximately 1.7 to 1. The ratio decreases from almost 2 to 1 with no lift to 1.6 at 2.5 inches.
I've got icon 2.5 shocks with 650lb springs and 15mm spacer. Rides like a dream.

Coming close to purchasing it. If you don't crack the coilover without the front bumper, will you still get a 2.5" lift? I'm running 34" tires and definitely need at least 2.5" lift.
Without front steel bumper, adjust coilover to desired height. Due to less weight spring will give a good lift. Once you add weight, springs will squat. Adjust them again to desired height and get alignment done every time you adjust height.

Without front steel bumper, adjust coilover to desired height. Due to less weight spring will give a good lift. Once you add weight, springs will squat. Adjust them again to desired height and get alignment done every time you adjust height.
Thanks for the info! Can’t wait to get these installed

They r finally here!
Fronts
2.5 Shocks w/ Comp. Adj. 25001-266A with 700lbs springs

Rears
2.5 Shocks w/ Comp. Adj. 25001-267A
OME 2723

Going to install them next month. Kings says 5 turns = 1 inch. Not sure if I want to turn then 12.5 turns to get 2.5 inches.

Last edited:
Kings are going in on Wednesday!

Here's some height information and goals

Height from mid hub to fender
Stock
Front 20.25
Rear 21.25

OME
Front 21.5
Rear ~ 22.75

Hope to get these numbers with the kings
Front 22.75
Rear 23

nOPeCdf.jpg

Finally got then installed and went on a quick field test. here are the numbers

(measurements from the center of wheel hub)
OME
Front 21.5
Rear 22.75

Kings
Front 21.5
Rear 24
The rear is a bit high due to the lack weight. I'm installing a rear bumper mid October so I'll report back after.

I'm pretty surprised how much pre-load I had to add to get the front to 21.5.
Compression adjuster settings
front 10
rear 8
Rides softer and smoother than the OMEs. I expect it to be a lot better with front and rear bumpers installed.

Front pre-load
4F74OzK.jpg

18gbFRV.jpg

Rear shot
CxD0gO5.jpg

OME height
TPSu94B.jpg

King height
VTNvU02.jpg

Action shots
uxaX5cE.jpg

uNKZXQc.jpg

hQ3gnwG.jpg

Last thing. I got OME for sale now LOL hit me up if y'all interested. about a year old with 10k miles
0tmfInT.jpg

Finally got a TJM 13 + warn 12S winch installed.
My 700lbs 2.5 king coilovers pre-load is MAXED OUT! The bumper + 12s is crazy heavy. I'll be contacting King suspension to see if they have a longer 700lbs spring or just a heavier spring rate. The ride is nice and plush!
Ride height is about 21" up front from hub to fender.
wSd3O7M.jpg

Q3eRvnw.jpg

Rjxn7RF.jpg

YXeXeea.jpg

Finally got then installed and went on a quick field test. here are the numbers

(measurements from the center of wheel hub)
OME
Front 21.5
Rear 22.75

Kings
Front 21.5
Rear 24
The rear is a bit high due to the lack weight. I'm installing a rear bumper mid October so I'll report back after.

I'm pretty surprised how much pre-load I had to add to get the front to 21.5.
Compression adjuster settings
front 10
rear 8
Rides softer and smoother than the OMEs. I expect it to be a lot better with front and rear bumpers installed.

Front pre-load
4F74OzK.jpg

18gbFRV.jpg

Rear shot
CxD0gO5.jpg

OME height
TPSu94B.jpg

King height
VTNvU02.jpg

Action shots
uxaX5cE.jpg

uNKZXQc.jpg

hQ3gnwG.jpg

Last thing. I got OME for sale now LOL hit me up if y'all interested. about a year old with 10k miles
0tmfInT.jpg
Looks great man! Smart choice going with Kings 👍

Just got off a call with King suspension today. Here is what they had to say.
The 2.5 king shocks kit now comes with a 16" shock with 800 lbs spring for a heavy setup instead of a 14" with 700 lbs. The 700 lbs springs r used by non-US market Land Cruiser due to the weight difference. I'm not sure what the weight difference is between a 5.7 vs 4.7 or 6turbo diesel.
They recommend ordering a 16" x 800 lbs spring and swapping it out. They said, I could also ship my shocks in to remove a spacer that limits the down travel. But for OEM LCA and after UCA, they recommended leaving it alone for now.

So! If you are planning on getting King shocks, keep this in mind. As annoying as this whole ordeal is, the support guy from king was pretty helpful.

I'll be ordering these springs and doing the install in a couple weeks. For now, here are my measurements.
Front hub to fender
20.75 on both pass and driver. A 0.75 loss in height with the pre-load maxed out....kinda sucks but at least the fix isn't that bad.

The current ride is so soft and plush I feel like I'm about to hit my bump stops at any given time. Until I swap these springs out, the truck is just going to sit tight on my driveway.

Last edited:
3.0 16" 800 lbs springs came in today from filthymotorsports. I'll be getting these installed the week after 4th of July.

jUcOy5M.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom