Chip's Hardbody FJ 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had a chance to pickup a super rare FJ 40 hardbody, soooo I jumped at it. I would like to thank zumzum5150 for the chance to take this body off his hands, I hope I do him proud with the build. This is the second FJ40 body I have had like this they are super detailed and make a very nice 2.2 scale rig. Sooo enough chit chat on to the build.

102_1859.jpg

102_1860.jpg

102_1865.jpg

102_1866.jpg

Specs to be:

Axial SCX-10 is the perfect donor for this build
Sidewinder ESC
45T Holmes Hobbies motor on 3s
Jr 650
1/8 3Racing winch or an MSD QS winch
1.9 RC4WD Rok Lox
1.9 RC4WD Steel Beadlocks
Tube bumpers and sliders of course

Just kinda mocking up everything, man I can't wait to see this thing done.

081.jpg

082.jpg

083.jpg

When everything is done the body will be much lower on the chassis.

084.jpg

085.jpg

088.jpg

When everything is done, I want it!
Super cool set up. Can you please do the next one for me in red though.

Goebs

When everything is done, I want it!
Super cool set up. Can you please do the next one for me in red though.

Goebs
Hahahah, This body is very hard to find and when you do the run from about 175.00 to 200.00 USD. I have seen the bodies in red and they are very sharp. I used to wheel 1;1 rig and when i got married I sold my 1984 Toyota pickup. I should have kept it these things cost almost as much to build up the right way.

wow!never been into the rc thing but that is super cool! i want one in mustard!:popcorn::beer:
like the pickup in the back too!
I have seen a mustard body as well I had one of those and sold last year. The pick up in the back ground is the ''shop truck'' :)

102_1965.jpg

102_1969.jpg

102_1971.jpg

That mini is Bad A!

I had a chance to pickup a super rare FJ 40 hardbody, soooo I jumped at it.

Super cool, no doubt, and you've got the best one I've seen, but lot's of people bought one of those from Japan from user "Mot" on this board. I'm sure you could find the thread if you look around. Dozens, at least...

The mini is badass too.

DSC07622.jpg

DSC07623.jpg

DSC07630.jpg

Frame was lengthened about 1 1/2 inches and the body mounts are bolted on.

DSC07624.jpg

MMMMMMM, spare parts that were cut off :twisted:

DSC07625.jpg

The SCX-10 just did not go with this body sssssooooooo I picked up some RC4WD Toyota axles. I know these axles will help tie everything together.

DSC07628.jpg

Another thing this project needed is a MSD Quicksand winch. I think it wil

Just a few pictures of the transmission cross member

DSC07631.jpg

DSC07632.jpg

DSC07633.jpg

DSC07634.jpg

DSC07635.jpg

DSC07636.jpg

DSC07637.jpg

DSC07638.jpg

And yes the top of the t case clears the bottom of the body.

Getting a little more done on the FJ 40

DSC07659.jpg

Got the wheel base all worked out and the new spring hangers and shackles in place.

DSC07660.jpg

And yes the front of the frame will be cut down, just need to make sure there was enough to mount the MSD Quicksand winch.

DSC07661.jpg

Shot from the front, I am soooooo glad I went with the Yota axles.

DSC07665.jpg

DSC07666.jpg

Up skirt shot of the chassis and body with the new hangers in place.

DSC07667.jpg

Looks like the rear wheel well arch will need to be opened a little to get it just right.

WOW :cheers:

Amazing RC! Newb question... are the parts you are using all purchased or did you fab some of them yourself? If purchased, where is the best source for this kind of stuff?

Again, amazing looking RC!

WOW!! Great Toys. Another hobby I would like to sink some dough into

WOW! What a great FJ40 body. I've never seen that one before. I have the lexan one and honestly it could be detailed better. I'd kill for one of those to build a scaler with.

Very Nice. I too would love a list of links where parts are sourced. Are these particular highly detailed bodies available in the FJ45 LWB? This could be a nice project while deployed. What do you think your total investment will be when done?

Well we're finally getting around to the front bumper. I want this truck to have an old school look so everything is going to be very simple, no fancy tube bumpers and such.

The bumper started out as 1/2 x 1/2 square tubing that was split down the middle and then a filler plate as made. The bumper is taped for 3 mm and the bumper brackets were bolted to the bumper and the brazed in place for more strength.

The bumper filler plate was then brazed on the back of the bumper to close it up and mounted up the Quicksand winch. The fairlead that comes with the winch has some very nice engraving work so that has to be show off. "thumbsup"

DSC_0110.jpg

DSC_0111.jpg

DSC_0112.jpg

DSC_0113.jpg

DSC_0114.jpg

DSC_0122.jpg

DSC_0133.jpg

DSC_0142.jpg

DSC_0144.jpg

Amazing RC! Newb question... are the parts you are using all purchased or did you fab some of them yourself? If purchased, where is the best source for this kind of stuff?

Again, amazing looking RC!
some are bought some are built. RC4WD.com is a great place to start.

WOW!! Great Toys. Another hobby I would like to sink some dough into
I got out of really 4x4 think this was cheaper, boy was I WRONG !!!

WOW! What a great FJ40 body. I've never seen that one before. I have the lexan one and honestly it could be detailed better. I'd kill for one of those to build a scaler with.
They are very hard to come by and will run you 150.00 to 200.00 just for the body.

Very Nice. I too would love a list of links where parts are sourced. Are these particular highly detailed bodies available in the FJ45 LWB? This could be a nice project while deployed. What do you think your total investment will be when done?
Nope the are not available in a LWD 45 I wished that the were. It is easy to make a 45 out of this body though.

Here is some links guys.

RC4WD.com

RPPHobby.com

Wow again super cool

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom