Chinese Inches Anyone? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I got some non-skid tape the other day to put on my sliders since they're a bit slipper, great stuff, good adhesive... even came with a free tape measure to boot!

So I got rid of the damn Hella lights and happened to be making measurements for a light bar on the ARB front bumper and this aforementioned free tape measure was in my pocket, so I used it. I concluded that a 20" light bar would fit perfectly and ordered one on Amazon. Today it comes in and I go out to install it and damn if it's not way too short... Figuring they must have sent me the wrong unit I carried back into the shop and measured it... Nope, it's 20" alright. WTFO can I not read a tape measure? So I remeasure the bumper with a real tape measure and it's 28" not 20"!!

Enter "Chinese Inches" - yes they're real... and beware 1 US or imperial inch = 0.762 Chinese inches! Who knew? Craziest thing I ever heard of. My wife was well familiar with these from her sewing experience - and laughed and laughed... Damn! She's still laughing...

See: Cun (unit) - Wikipedia

Bottom line do not trust free little red tape measures!

Anyone need a 420W Nylight 20" light bar before I send it back? $35... ;)

IMG_5506.JPG

Last edited:
Wow, crazy!

Chinese inch... Can think of sooo...mannny... Off.... Color....jokes...

...and I'm half Chinese so that makes these thoughts ok right?!?!

Ok I'll go with the number 10 and I'll stick to that.

Ah, Confucius say at least you got a free tape measure out of the deal:bang:

Well maybe there will be time at the next meeting to elaborate :rofl:
I'll bring the tape measure to the next meeting; along with a hammer to smash it to bits... 🔨

There is also a different international and us measurement. This is only significant for surveying and very long structures like rail and roads though since it is a small difference over a mile of 1/8 of an inch. This does however create property disputes and issues when surveying streets, property corners etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom