Chicago tribune article on 200 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not even sure where to begin. Maybe simply with this....

"The refreshed 2016 model accounted for its best year in sales since 2008, which was the last time it was redesigned, yet the 3,705 units sold was a fraction of the five-figure sales of most of the competition. The Yukon, Expedition, Suburban sold in the 50,000 range, even the aging Sequoia sold four times as much as the Land Cruiser, according to data from Goodcarbadcar.net."

Toyota makes Highlanders, the RAV4, Sequoias, etc. which ALL outsell the LandCruiser. The goal has never been to sell tens of thousands of LC's in the United States. Toyota knows how to sell the snot out of SUVs. If the writer's point is that Toyota needs to remodel the LC so that they can sell north of 4,000 units in a year I don't think he understands the purpose of this vehicle.

So a vehicle that is essentially the same in 2016 as it was in 2008 just had its 2nd best sales year. What does that tell you?

Just goes to show how professional journalists write these days..... "The 5.7-liter V-9 engine" and "second row is more versatile, with 40/20/20 split" What happened, did he give up 20% of the middle row for an extra cylinder?

Not even sure where to begin. Maybe simply with this....

"The refreshed 2016 model accounted for its best year in sales since 2008, which was the last time it was redesigned, yet the 3,705 units sold was a fraction of the five-figure sales of most of the competition. The Yukon, Expedition, Suburban sold in the 50,000 range, even the aging Sequoia sold four times as much as the Land Cruiser, according to data from Goodcarbadcar.net."

Toyota makes Highlanders, the RAV4, Sequoias, etc. which ALL outsell the LandCruiser. The goal has never been to sell tens of thousands of LC's in the United States. Toyota knows how to sell the snot out of SUVs. If the writer's point is that Toyota needs to remodel the LC so that they can sell north of 4,000 units in a year I don't think he understands the purpose of this vehicle.

So a vehicle that is essentially the same in 2016 as it was in 2008 just had its 2nd best sales year. What does that tell you?

Exactly. Someone should ask how many Sequoias they sell in the rest of the world compared to Land Cruisers and LX570... :) (They don't).

Also... This is CHICAGO...you now...A big, sprawling CITY?? Telling what the battle-ready LC should do?

L...O...L...

Sorta like a Fish telling a dog how to run faster...

I DID learn something NEW in the article though...

The LC has a NINE CYLINDER ENGINE! Check this out:

Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 7.21.49 PM.png

A V-9? Who knew???

Last edited:
As a Chicagoan, the tribune doesn't know what its talking about especially when it comes to cars.

He should have taken it to the south side and driven on the roads that no one will repair. Even parts of downtown are terrible. I call it the urban jungle. My dad prefers driving his mercedes s class at the University of Chicago but I am afraid a pothole will swallow the entire car whole. He has already bent three rims driving in the suburbs. Living in Chicago an SUV is a must and while most prefer the soccer mom rides, real men prefer military grade vehicles.

Exactly. Someone should ask how many Sequoias they sell in the rest of the world compared to Land Cruisers and LX570... :) (They don't).

Also... This is CHICAGO...you now...A big, sprawling CITY?? Telling what the battle-ready LC should do?

L...O...L...

Sorta like a Fish telling a dog how to run faster...

I DID learn something NEW in the article though...

The LC has a NINE CYLINDER ENGINE! Check this out:

View attachment 1387891

A V-9? Who knew???
maybe that extra cylinder only engages in the LX570, that could be the HP difference:D:D:D

There are 2 kinds of auto journalist reviews of (any model) Land Cruiser. Those who are uneducated and don't get its place and write drivel, and those who completely understand it and think it's the greatest thing in the world. I largely ignore both, but I do like Doug DeMuro's take on it: http://jalopnik.com/here-s-what-it-s-like-to-off-road-an-85-000-toyota-lan-1764983818. These are good too: http://oppositelock.kinja.com/why-the-toyota-land-cruiser-is-so-expensive-1715003811 and http://jalopnik.com/what-s-the-perfect-car-for-a-teenager-1685655564

I'm waiting for his follow-up article telling Toyota how to increase sales of the Land Cruiser....

1. Add more chrome
2. Reduce the price by cutting the engine down to 7 cylinders
3. Change the name from Land Cruiser to Terrain Roamer.....you know, just to spice it up a bit

I'm waiting for his follow-up article telling Toyota how to increase sales of the Land Cruiser....

1. Add more chrome
2. Reduce the price by cutting the engine down to 7 cylinders
3. Change the name from Land Cruiser to Terrain Roamer.....you know, just to spice it up a bit

4. Comes with free soccer ball, juice box holders, and grocery coupons

Last edited:
As a Chicagoan, the tribune doesn't know what its talking about especially when it comes to cars.

He should have taken it to the south side and driven on the roads that no one will repair. Even parts of downtown are terrible. I call it the urban jungle. My dad prefers driving his mercedes s class at the University of Chicago but I am afraid a pothole will swallow the entire car whole. He has already bent three rims driving in the suburbs. Living in Chicago an SUV is a must and while most prefer the soccer mom rides, real men prefer military grade vehicles.

My S class bent 4 wheels (2 times for the driver side front, 3 other separate wheels) during winter 2014 and I was on 19's!

I was worried when my wife fell in love with the F sport GS. The lighter car and stronger (likely heavier) wheel has only needed to be repaired once (both fronts).

I highly doubt I'll have to repair any more wheels because we take the Landcruiser to the urban jungles and know the local potholes enough when driving the Lexus.

Last edited:
This reminds me very much of similar discussion on the Land Rover LR4 forums. Setting aside the differences between the LR4 and the LC, the two vehicles have much in common and both appeal to the (more-than-just-a-crossover) market. They are dealing now with what might happen with the LC in the future should Toyota heed the opinions of this city-slicker journalist.

Land Rover has announced and is showing off their replacement for the LR4. Shorter, lighter, better gas mileage, full-size liftgate, etc. When introducing the design concept many months ago, the head of the "Discovery" (LR4 replacement) used the word "relevant" multiple times. This has become a watchword for appealing to markets where "contemporary", fuel-efficient, "soccer-mom-friendly", easier to access, sleeker looking and other criteria are more important. They want to win those customers who think the higher profile, boxier, heavier vehicles are passe and even ugly. I saw a review of an LR4 a couple years ago by a woman in the Bay Area. Offroad to her meant she could drive up over the curb and onto the soccer field. One of her complaints was that the cup holders were too large to hold a tippy-cup steady.

If you go to the LR4 forum and read the comments on the new "Discovery" you will see reactions much like I would expect from most of you should Toyota every try to do the same thing with the LC. If Land Rover doesn't come out with a new Defender that addresses these concerns then I can see some LR4 owners moving to the LC in the future.

That said, Toyota already has the Highlander, Sequoia and RAV4. They have vehicles for that market. They don't need to neuter the LC.

The ultimate question is, "Does Toyota make money on the LC?" If it is losing money then it may need to either change it or, because they already have "relevant" vehicles just kill it. But if they are making money - globally - then keep building it. There is nothing wrong with a profitable market.

Finally, I certainly would like to see some upgrades and updates beyond what I have in our 2016. The Nav system is still behind what I had in my LR4 and in my Acura before it. In a word, it is pathetic. There is a lot of work they could do there. And some might argue that they would be more relevant if increased USB charging ports, etc. The real issues will come with trying to make it more fuel efficient while maintaining its strengths as an off pavement vehicle and a towing vehicle. Engine technology is improving. There are lighter, better materials out there. BUT, if they sacrifice long term durability, engine power, frame strength, the elevated seating position, and of course the split tailgate, then they will become just another me-too crossover.

Fortunately, I wouldn't expect another serious update for at least a couple of years. And if they screw it up, our 200's may hold their value longer. ;)

FWIW, Toyota screwed up the new Tacoma. Put in horrible power train combo that constantly searches for gears. A new Tacoma was on the top of my list until I saw all the issues. Luckily for me it pushed me to get a 200 LC. Favorite. Vehicle. Ever.

They neutered the Tacoma. It will be telling to see what Toyota does with the Tundra and 4Runner.

A V-9 engine - damn I thought it was my 35's sucking my gas tank dry - little did I know I was packing and extra cylinder under the hood.
I love it! wanna race me

I went out and counted spark plugs. I guess the 9th one must be hidden under the intake manifold. I also looked to see where the missing 20% of the middle seat was hiding. I guess that's a special ejection seat feature that activates when reporters like that one sit on it. I'm not sure I've ever read a more poorly researched vehicle review or one that missed the whole point more than that one did.

I had to LOL when I read that article, a V9- really. All too often I have to wonder what has happened to the editors that work for these publications.

My 200 brings a smile to my face everytime I drive it. I love that thing more then any of the other high end vehicles I've had in the past. I dream about what I'm going to do to it next. I say poop on you Chicago Tribune. You know nothing.
AND PLEASE NEVER MENTION NISSAN ARMADA AND TOYOTA LANDCRUISER IN THE SAME F-ING SENTENCE YOU STUPID IDIOT
Hi I'm ROBERT DUFFER and I am out of things to write about.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom