Check your bolts!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So far I have only had a few small issues with the lx470. It's solid. But has its quirks like all of our vehicles. We recently bought a camper. It goes decent, not the appsolute best. But does a decent job. Gas mileage sucks... But that's to be expected. I normally do a pretty good once over on the LX before we leave anywhere. And I did. But when we got home I unloaded the camper no issues.

The wife leaves to pickup groceries and has no reports of issues. The next morning I leave out to do a bit of hunting. And I put my hitch basket in. No big deal. About 15 minutes into my trip I hear a weird noise but assume that it's the basket.

Fast forward to the trip home and I'm driving and keep hearing this rattling/grind kinda noice. I look in the mirror and my heat sinks. Tons of white smoke coming from the car. I pull over and stop. And it's not coming from the exhaust. I start looking and find that my passenger side rear shock is hanging.

The bolt was gone and the shock was rubbing the inside of the rear tire. Bushing was shot.

So got it all fixed new bushings and bolts and torgued to specs. And a dab of locktite on there. Could had been really bad. Made a bit of a wear spot on the tire. Toyota in Columbia looked at it and they weren't so concerned. It's on the list to fix.

Wouldn't hurt to add them to the list of pre trip check lists to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Interesting, on a 40/60/80, knuckle studs are always on the check list, but rear shock bolts I've never heard issues with. Glad it all worked out and everyone got home safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom