Cheap, Easy, Lumbar Motor Fix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My lumbar support stopped working years ago, on long trips especially I find my front seat very uncomfortable, was it wasn't worth the $350 bucks or whatever toyota wants for the replacement. Having finally had enough of it not working, I dug around the forums and found some helpful stuff, including testing the switch first, but also that the old motor can get jammed up (or something) and if taken out/remove the bind it's in, it can start working again. After confirming my switch was fine, I removed the motor, and it did indeed still work, but when reinstalled it was very weak and didn't put enough pressure in the lumbar area for me.

To ebay I went looking for another motor, another thread here pointed out that these denso motors from other lexus and Toyota models looked pretty similar. I bought this one below for $20 bucks.

Now, the problem is, the main sprocket on the two motors is different. White= Landcruiser, Black= Lexus GS450H.
1597605804233.png

But do not fret, if you remove the 3 screws holding the body together, you can just swap the sprockets out, they just lift right up and out. The cut out hole diameter on the body is exactly the same size on both.
1597605941481.png

Below is the part number on the $20 lexus version.

1597606044604.png

Back in action! I added some extra foam behind the little plastic pressure distributor thingy to give me more support if I want it.

1597606152613.png

As far as the motor removal, it's just three screws and the wired connector. It's small PITA to maneuver the motor out of it's little holder, I had to use a long screw driver to create a little extra space between the motor and the holder by prying it slightly for the motor to just drop down out of it's holder. No biggy though.

Hope this saves you guys some cash and makes your seat a little more comfortable.

Last edited:
Did the rest of your power functions work for your seat. How did you test the switch. My driver power seat is not working at all.

Did the rest of your power functions work for your seat. How did you test the switch. My driver power seat is not working at all.

All of my other functions worked properly. To test the switch, I removed it so that I could get to the back of it/the connectors, I grounded my black lead on my multi meter to the seat frame, then I hit the switch in both directions and tested the leads to make sure I saw battery voltage when I hit the switch. That tells you the motor is getting forward and reverse signal, when you push the button in either direction, basically. If it's getting voltage, then the problem is the motor.

Last edited:
Thanks for this! I am having heck of a time getting my panel on the back of the seat back in, any tips?

Mine just pops off and then pops back on when pushed. What problem are you having?

Having the same issue. I tried link but missing. Do you all a link for the LC version of the motor? Looking to just swap motors out

Having the same issue. I tried link but missing. Do you all a link for the LC version of the motor? Looking to just swap motors out
The LC version was much more rare and expensive. Even though the link is expired you can just search for the Lexus GS450 version then do the sprocket swap.

Just bought a used motor from an IS350C and will attempt this in a few days. When button is held, I feel a weak nudge and then nothing...symptoms of a weak motor. Excited this isn't costing another 100 for a LC100 replacement.

2 years later still working flawlessly

@Patassa - thanks for sharing, I have the same issue.

Alternative question - could you just swap the actuator motor on the original unit and be back in business? It looks like a similar exercise/motor that you swap out when you replace the door lock actuator motors.

@Patassa - thanks for sharing, I have the same issue.

Alternative question - could you just swap the actuator motor on the original unit and be back in business? It looks like a similar exercise/motor that you swap out when you replace the door lock actuator motors.
Seems like it should work

Having a hard time getting new motor lined up in the seat with screws holes to mount it. Is there a trick to this? Or just wiggle and awkward holding until you get it right? I have smaller hands, but still not a lot of room in there.

Having a hard time getting new motor lined up in the seat with screws holes to mount it. Is there a trick to this? Or just wiggle and awkward holding until you get it right? I have smaller hands, but still not a lot of room in there.
Unfortunately I don't remember there being a trick, just a pita

Pita is right. Finally got it in...a few cut fingers and now working perfectly. Thanks!!!

Very helpful thread. The driver seat lumbar hasn't been working for years on my LX470. I ordered a $20 motor / gear mechanism from eBay for an LS430. 01-06 Lexus LS430 XF30 Front Right or Left Side Seat Lumbar Adjuster Mot... while the mechanism looked almost the same, it didn't work properly when I installed it. I went ahead and took the old LX470 mechanism apart and switched out motors - very easy, 3 screws on the back of the part, and 3 screws holding in the motor. Put back together and tested it - worked fine. I reassembled the part and happy to report it works like new. I enclosed a few photos to show how to remove the old and new motors. I used the pegged back from the new motor, since it has some sort of transistor on top, which the old one didn't...
Note, in removing the seat back, I inserted a long screwdriver on the outer edge of the top clips (A) and pushed them to the center. They came out easily and the seat back slipped right off.

1 outer shot.jpg

2 cover off.jpg

3 motor cover off.jpg

4 motor out.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom