Cheap and Easy Halogen Bulb Mods for more Output (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TeCKis300

GOLD Star
Threads
Here's some common headlight bulb mods on the interwebs used by many other cars. I've not seen it discussed here so thought I'd share some knowledge. I personally haven't done this, but have tried to do LED upgrades. But the AFS on the LX models don't make retrofitting bulbs with large backends easy.

This would be a super easy and cost effective mod for earlier halogen headlight model years:

High Beam PN(Lumens) 9005(1700) < 9011(2300)
Low Beam PN(Lumens) H11(1350) < H9(2100)

The basis is to replace the stock bulb types with higher output types. This only requires an easy to do tab trim and they drop right in.

Results have been well reviewed on other cars.

Pics borrowed from the web:

h9a.jpg

h9b.jpg

9011a.jpg

9011b.jpg
9011c.jpg

Here's some common headlight bulb mods on the interwebs used by many other cars. I've not seen it discussed here so thought I'd share some knowledge. I personally haven't done this, but have tried to do LED upgrades. But the AFS on the LX models don't make retrofitting bulbs with large backends easy.

This would be a super easy and cost effective mod for earlier halogen headlight model years:

High Beam PN(Lumens) 9005(1700) < 9011(2300)

Your pictures are better than mine, but here's a thread I started a little over 4 years ago about using HIR1 9011 bulbs in place of 9005 bulbs - might be some useful info:

HIR1 High Beam Bulbs - Which Are the Brightest?

HTH

Edit to add link showing how to trim the HIR1 bulbs:

HIR 9011 and 9012 bulbs are exactly identical in all dimensions to 9005 and 9006 bulbs, except for two areas, the second of wh

Last edited:
I did that a couple years ago and I didn't really notice much of a difference. I ended up going HID for my hi beams, and never looked back.

I did that a couple years ago and I didn't really notice much of a difference. I ended up going HID for my hi beams, and never looked back.

Since your high beams are used as DRL's, how did you solve that issue? Did you just turn DRL's off?

TIA

Nice Gaijin, light meter and all. BTW, I can't take credit for the pics...borrowed them off the web.

In regards to the DRL's, they should be just fine with these upgrades. DRL's lower the voltage of the light circuit, so it'd be reduced output just the same. Possibly a bit brighter.

I would do HIDs, though on the LX, the headlights "steer". This causes some fitment issues so I started looking for halogen upgrades. Unsure I will do this upgrade just yet. As my LED H11 upgrades to the fogs have dramatically improved lighting and I'm not lacking for brightness ATM.

In regards to the DRL's, they should be just fine with these upgrades. DRL's lower the voltage of the light circuit, so it'd be reduced output just the same. Possibly a bit brighter.

My question was about using HID's in place of the high beams on a 2013 LC as @Skiime described. I didn't think that the HID's would deal very well with the reduced voltage. Am I wrong?

I know the 9011's work well as DRL's - that's what I use ;)

^Ah, missed that. Yes, HID won't like it. Nor to LEDs as I found out. They output practically full brightness even in DRL mode. Oncoming traffic certainly won't like that!

Since your high beams are used as DRL's, how did you solve that issue? Did you just turn DRL's off?

TIA
I turned my DRL's off a long time ago...I use the LED's as DRL's instead. I honestly didn't even think about using the HID's for DRL's since I don't use them anymore, so I can't comment on how they work as DRL's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom