Chasing a weird vibration... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone, have a new question for the MUD hive mind after having searched around to no avail...

I'm having a weird driveline vibration, best described as a 'buzz' at freeway speed, here are the symptoms:

- Happens only when the Cruiser is warm: When cold (at low and freeway speed), it is really smooth
- Throttle dependent: under load, it doesn't buzz, when I lift it comes back

I've had the Cruiser on a lift and we checked out the transmission mount, which looks fine. Haven't examined the motor mounts, but that will be next. And I am hesitating on doing that job because it is such a beast.

But anyway, am I missing anything from this list of other possible culprits? To wit:

- Sloppy u-joints that get noisy when they get warm (230k miles)
- Bad exhaust hanger
- Loose heat shield somewhere that I am not seeing
- Sloppy bearing in the transfer case area (again, mileage)

Any input would be great here. Thanks to all.

~ Bill

Grease the u-joints, does it change? Check/replenish the moly grease in the knuckles, should be 1/2-3/4 full. Check oil level in the diffs, should be up to the fill hole.

A bunch of threads on "driveline vibration" in search Search Results | IH8MUD Forum

Do you have a lift or stock height?

@BILT4ME gives a nice write-up in post #14 on how to check and grease your driveline. Easy enough to do and light on the wallet.

Vibrations in drivetrain?

Ignore post #15 & #17 as not related to your issue, but still important to your LC. HTH.

OBTW the NVH app on pg. 2 is now down to $399.99 if anyone is interested...

Grease the u-joints, does it change? Check/replenish the moly grease in the knuckles, should be 1/2-3/4 full. Check oil level in the diffs, should be up to the fill hole.
Just serviced the t-case and diffs. At the same time, I greased the driveline, and at that time it was clear that the zerks had been dry for a long while. Front axle was recently rebuilt, so grease level should be okay, but I will check that too.

A bunch of threads on "driveline vibration" in search Search Results | IH8MUD Forum

Do you have a lift or stock height?

@BILT4ME gives a nice write-up in post #14 on how to check and grease your driveline. Easy enough to do and light on the wallet.

Vibrations in drivetrain?

Ignore post #15 & #17 as not related to your issue, but still important to your LC. HTH.

Yep - thanks for this. I read this thread and that's why u-joints were definitely on the list. I am running stock-height Dobinsons, but the truck did that before lift was installed.

You might want to add pinion bearing to the list. I had one act like you're describing.

I have the same and it seems to be independent of the driveshaft type (stock or DC). What’s the test for the pinion bearing?

Pull your front drive shaft and lock your center diff (you will need 7 pin mod and a hazard switch). Drive at speed without the front drive shaft to see if the vibes change or even go away.

I too was chasing a driveline vibe that occurred at low to idle speed. I recently installed springs and thought the vibes were coming from my front drive shaft since I installed taller springs. Without the front drive shaft, the vibes were still there. I greased the u-joints, reinstalled the drive shaft, and cross rotated the wheels. With the cross rotation most of the vibes were eliminated.

Thanks everyone for the helpful input. Assuming it is the pinion bearing, I went and looked at a few r&r threads, and this job is way over my head -- anybody have this job done at a shop and what was the cost. Any recommendations for shops in N Cal or Reno/Tahoe to do this?

Thanks!

I sure wish they'd switch to something like a "$10 for 24 hours" business model. It would be a boon for 'mud types. They probably wouldn't want to deal with the customer support issues.

Just because I want to add something:

Where the intake goes into the passenger side fender, there is a silencer attached. It doesn't do s*** but make your intake quieter.

Mine rattles, loudly against my fender and I chased that sum bitch for about a damn year.

May not be your issue, but I was under and inside everything I thought it could be.

I stuffed some foam between it and the fender...lasted a while but it rattling again...foam may have rotted or slipped.

It sounds to me like a pinion bearing since it does it during deceleration.

You can pull the axle apart and ship the differential (hog's head, pumpkin, etc) to Zuk for the bearing and gear rebuild. Then he ships back to you and you install watching videos on Mud.

It sounds to me like a pinion bearing since it does it during deceleration.

You can pull the axle apart and ship the differential (hog's head, pumpkin, etc) to Zuk for the bearing and gear rebuild. Then he ships back to you and you install watching videos on Mud.
Taking it to Mudrak tomo. But that may be an option --> and can you point me to the specific "zuk"? - several members appear to have that in their handle...thanks!!!

www.gearinstalls.com

Zuk specializes in Toyota differential rebuilds.
He is very reasonable and does excellent work.

Thanks everyone for the helpful input. Assuming it is the pinion bearing, I went and looked at a few r&r threads, and this job is way over my head -- anybody have this job done at a shop and what was the cost. Any recommendations for shops in N Cal or Reno/Tahoe to do this?

Thanks!

I have had it done at a shop. Cost is like $500 to $700 if I remember right. The job takes a 1/2 to 3/4 of a day and this kit or one like it -

https://www.yukongear.com/partslist...fName=Toyota+Landcruiser,+'91-'97+-+30+Spline

Okay, just got back from Mudrak's -- and they found that the front driveline was out of phase, and rectified that on the spot. MUCH improved. Next step is to re-balance all 4 wheels, as there seems to be some vibration coming from that area. Then I will start chasing down whatever else is next, including the above list.

The previous owner were fancy skiing people, NOT car people. So my theory is now that their goon mechanic did something under the truck, incorrectly reinstalled the drivetrain and put on a new set of tires and didn't bother to balance them. Fortunately, it is pretty hard to **** up a Toyota. And thanks again to everyone for their input.

And, maybe there should be a NVH sticky thread?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom