Charge light relay... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
G'day, I've just signed up in hope to shed some light on the problem I've got in my hj61 1986 12ht.

I feel like I've read all threads related to charging issues read the workshop manual and done a tonne of Google searches and work on the cruiser with no luck.

I was driving when the dash lights related to the charge lamp relay were thrown up. I noticed the volts had dropped so from my testing I replaced the alternator...charging fine however the dash lights were still up.

I the replaced the voltage regulator, was suppose to be a plug and play although with the new volt regulator the dash lights would not turn on when ignition on only when started so I am assuming this is not wired correctly to suit my plug. Although still charging fine.

From further reading I have since replaced the two fusible links from the battery and checked all earths for continuity.

I do know the battery is on it's way out as when starting it drops below 10v. Would a bad battery cause the dash lights to illuminate although receiving charge?

If you have any info you could drop feel free as I feel as though I've exhausted nearly all avenues and getting to the end of my knowledge and capabilities.

Cheers for any help.

Maybe this will help you with a diagnose

Attachments

• 0380_001.pdf
    57.4 KB · Views: 597
For years, I've had the charge lamp stay on upon startup until I rev above 1200 RPM. Always goes out then and stays off.

Many people, in a number of different Toyota vehicles from the '80's have reported this issue and I have not seen a definitive fix.

I have:
-Replaced the batteries.
-Rewired the battery grounds and connectors with thicker gauge welding cable.
-replaced the voltage regulator.
-ensured the alternator is working properly.
-reflowed the solder in the charge lamp relay.

Still looking for the answer!

There is a major connector behind gauge cluster that goes bad, has 6-8 grounds in a plastic connector. @OSS has a great post on it.

While you hunt that post down, does that have a coil/igniter combo? In the 60s, the hold down bolts on the cage are a major ground, that wil cause alt to over output, causing other wires to cook.

For years, I've had the charge lamp stay on upon startup until I rev above 1200 RPM. Always goes out then and stays off.

Many people, in a number of different Toyota vehicles from the '80's have reported this issue and I have not seen a definitive fix.

I have:
-Replaced the batteries.
-Rewired the battery grounds and connectors with thicker gauge welding cable.
-replaced the voltage regulator.
-ensured the alternator is working properly.
-reflowed the solder in the charge lamp relay.

Still looking for the answer!
Thanks heaps mate, they stay on even with higher revs. I will search for a post about re soldering the relay I took mine apart but nothing stuck out that looked that it needed to be re soldered.
Cheers

There is a major connector behind gauge cluster that goes bad, has 6-8 grounds in a plastic connector. @OSS has a great post on it.

While you hunt that post down, does that have a coil/igniter combo? In the 60s, the hold down bolts on the cage are a major ground, that wil cause alt to over output, causing other wires to cook.
Thanks I will have a read through that and see if I can find anything. I'm not 100% sure about a coil/ignitor combo I'd have to get back to you on that.

First you should double check the old and the new voltage regulator. Compare the ND (Nippon Denso) numbers,and make sure you have installed the right model.Google is your friend.
That is the only part you exchanged ,after that all hell broke loose..........

First you should double check the old and the new voltage regulator. Compare the ND (Nippon Denso) numbers,and make sure you have installed the right model.Google is your friend.
That is the only part you exchanged ,after that all hell broke loose..........
Cheers mate, I have installed a new alternator prior to the volt reg. Lights were still on with the new alternator and previous volt reg. That's when I went the new voltage regulator although the new regulator would only have the lights on after started not with ignition on.

I got a new battery to rule that out, I thought the alternator was trying to bring the old battery up to charge at around 16v but doing the same with the new battery. I will have to chase up anything related to the overcharging side of things now.

Thanks for your help

The only reason your chargelight will be activated is because your charge light relay is activated.Check that one first.
There are 2 reasons for activation of this relay.Ignition and charge(L)
Now the new voltage regulator might have swapped connections between L (colour Y_W),which goes over the charge fuse ,and IG (colour B_Y).
These are wiring colours and do not correspond with the voltage regulator colours .So check which one is what colour first.

The only reason your chargelight will be activated is because your charge light relay is activated.Check that one first.
There are 2 reasons for activation of this relay.Ignition and charge(L)
Now the new voltage regulator might have swapped connections between L (colour Y_W),which goes over the charge fuse ,and IG (colour B_Y).
These are wiring colours and do not correspond with the voltage regulator colours .So check which one is what colour first.
Cheers mate I will trace those wires and see what I can find!

Does anyone have a 24volt charge lamp relay - I need one and am having trouble sourcing. Thanks for any direction or help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom