Change from Manual to Automatic Trans..Advice! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking after all to convert my stock 4.7L V8 (model 98) Manual to automatic transmission..Dealer refused to do it!...found workshops willing to do it with 1 to 2 years warranty?

need advice please...

do I expected a problem down the road?
Is it cost effective to do the conversion?

and most importantly, what parts?

-Automatic transmission (which one?)
-ECU (computer)
-what electrical parts?
-drive shaft!?

I bought my LC new and mileage is about 140Kmiles.

APPARENTLY stick away from 2000 transmissions. While your at it, you might as well try to upgrade to the newer 5speed (released in 03).

Are you in the US?

I don't think anybody in the US has swapped to a manual. Not since I've joined atleast.

I am in the Gulf!,,,that's why I have the manual on the 4.7L!

So you are saying it is OK to swap!...I am concern about the computer (ECU)!, how is going to behave when it does not find the ABS system and may be other features not available in my LC? Because all LC's coming automatic also comes with ABS and other goodies which I don't have...That's our specs!....I was at the dealer the other day for some checkups and they say we can't adjust anything because the computer will default to a preset parameters..

Thanks for the replies

Ship your 100 up to me. I'll ship my auto to you. Call it even :)

I'm not saying it can't be done. But it's not gunna be a peice of cake. I've never done a swap. But I'm msure manual to auto is easier. You just yank all the clutch linkages and remove that. Auto to manual you have to figure out how to route it.

But yea! Ship your to me. Well call it even!

Ship your 100 up to me. I'll ship my auto to you. Call it even :)

I'm not saying it can't be done. But it's not gunna be a peice of cake. I've never done a swap. But I'm msure manual to auto is easier. You just yank all the clutch linkages and remove that. Auto to manual you have to figure out how to route it.

But yea! Ship your to me. Well call it even!

it think shipment works one way only specially with cars because of the your regulations...where in the US?

My opinion is if your 100 is stock and there are other 100's in your area that already came with an automatic, it would make most sense to sell yours and buy one with an auto.

I'm in Georgia.

Hoser is right. Sell yours and buy one with auto. Long term it would probably show better reliability.

People here, in Kuwait at least, are lining up to buy a manual tranny V8 100 series. You could easily sell yours and buy one with an auto transmission. I don't think it would be hard to swap your cruiser for one with auto transmission and it will be much cheaper than the conversion.

Try going to used car dealers and see if they are willing to exchange an automatic cruiser with your. If yours is a VXR it would be even easier to do it and the exchange probably wouldn't cost much.

What country are you in btw? If my cruiser was stock, I'd swap it with you in a heart beat. :D

@1loudLX

That would be a huge PITA. The electrical stuff especially the HF radio was a nightmare to get just right. I wouldn't want to go through it again.

Since I have experience with both 4.7L 100 a/t and m/t, you will notice that the 4spd a/t powered 100 is very sluggish and fuel consumption with A/T is more than the M/T.

You can't just swap transmissions in the 100 and expect it to work. Your going to need a complete new engine harness, A/T ECU, transmission, drive shaft, flywheel, torque converter, necessary bolts, A/T brake pedal, gear shift, center console bezel, wiring for the shift lock, wiring to the brake pedal, wiring of the ECT power button/2nd gear start, transmission kick down cable... etc.

Its a lot more complicating than you think. Sell your vehicle and get another if you want an A/T.

I agree with selling it and getting one with an auto. I haven't done this swap but I did do it to a 1993 Toyota mini truck. It was a nightmare and it didn't have ABS and other functions to deal with.

What I am curious about is whether or not you could use an older A440F tranny out of a FJ80 as there weren't any computer controls on it. And then swap the bellhousing to a A343f to mate it to the V8.

I really think this is going to be a nightmare no matter how you do it. Unless it was a specialized body like an RV or armored or something abnormal I would think the best thing to do would be swap rigs.

Another unknown for me is do all the autos have full time transfer cases? I assume the manuals are part time units. That could be another difficulty.

Another unknown for me is do all the autos have full time transfer cases? I assume the manuals are part time units. That could be another difficulty.
I'm not entirely sure about this, but I think all M/T V8 100s are Full time 4WD instead of part timel I know the I6 100 GX-R M/T had a part time 4wd option.

great site and great members...MANY THANKS to you all!

I don't like going through nightmare!!,,the main reason for the change is my sun,, he does not like driving manual..selling & buying is the way to go,,,however, one main reason for not selling and buying automatic is the fact that I am the only user and it is very very well MECHANICALLY maintained, 90% at the dealership!...I just replaced all clutches, seals, tranny overhauled, new iridium spark plugs, new fuel and air filters,,new suspension and many other pats all new and original...this is a collection!...I have received several offers just from the outside look!..

by the way I cleared my pm box for those who could not send me pm,,I can only receive 5 messages and it will be full again.
also:
hsyahyah-montada@yahoo.co.uk

Last edited:
teach his azz to drive a manual! Its safer, keeps you from doing too many things while driving since you actually need both hands free

x3, i tell everyone i know who's got kids ready to drive to give them a manual so they actually "learn" to drive and pay more attention to what's going on. anyone can push a pedal. manual trans just keeps you more aware IMO. but then again, i'm also a fan of raising the driving age from 16 to 18.

when i was 16, i bought a '67 VW bug w/a 4spd and had 2 lessons on how to drive a stick before i got my license. the next day i was on my own for transportation and was not allowed to drive any of our automatic trans cars for at least a month.

I'd give a kidney or a lung for a m/t on my 100

x3, i tell everyone i know who's got kids ready to drive to give them a manual so they actually "learn" to drive and pay more attention to what's going on. anyone can push a pedal. manual trans just keeps you more aware IMO. but then again, i'm also a fan of raising the driving age from 16 to 18.

when i was 16, i bought a '67 VW bug w/a 4spd and had 2 lessons on how to drive a stick before i got my license. the next day i was on my own for transportation and was not allowed to drive any of our automatic trans cars for at least a month.

Right....to tell you the truth, manual LC100 is the most reliable car you can ever own,however, I don't enjoy driving it like before because it is manual!....My F-150 is great! but if you keep it on the highway!..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom