Cell Booster Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TeCKis300

GOLD Star
Threads
I've been camping a lot. Glamping that is. Yet is it really glamping without cell reception? Or civilized off-roading without real-time data?

Time for a cell booster install. Sneak peak:

This is the newest WeBoost Reach model that improves upon the prior king of consumer boosters, the WeBoost Drive 4G-X. This booster supports multi-carrier and just about the complete spectrum of 2G, 3G, and 4G/LTE cellular bands. For context, I'm strictly a Verizon Android user, but this will support just about anything out there, with added support for some of the newer bands.

So why this particular model? Couple major reasons:

1) Uplink power
Boosters universally advertise "gain" which is interpreted as downlink signal boost. This is actually federally limited so there's relatively little differentiation. Mobil multi-band applications are limited to 50 dB. Static boosters, 65 dB. Other variations allow more power when only single band. Comms however is bi-directional. A far-away tower can't establish comms if it can't "hear" you. What's little spec'd and the significant differentiation is uplink power or uplink gain. That's where this Weboost Reach makes the biggest difference having upwards of twice more power than the last top of the line model. And way more than generic boosters.

For comparison of uplink power the popular WeBoost line-up. Signal is measured in dB which is a logarithmic scale, each 3 dB represents a doubling of power. Which is not quite double the range as that actually takes 4x the power, but it's appreciably more. Good luck finding these specs for off brand boosters.

Drive 4G-M – 21.4 dBm
Connect RV 65 – 24.6 dBm
Drive 4G-X – 24.8 dBm
Drive Sleek – 25.6 dBm
Drive Reach Fleet - 29.5 dBm

2) LTE/Bands Supported - 12/17, 13, 5, 4, 2, 25
Just about complete for every carrier in the US. Including some newer bands like 25 which is really important to T-Mobil users. And Band 66, which is an extension of band 4 and important to Verizon and I think AT&T.

Notes
- Interior to exterior proximity between the antenna's is important as the send/receive signals are common and can loop back attenuating or shutting down the booster (much like microphone sound system feedback). It's important to have the unibody metal prevent line of sight of the antennas through glass (moonroof) for example, to maximize signal power and gain.
- Proximity between the phone and the interior antenna is also important to maximize uplink gain. This is a particular parameter to pay attention to if you want to maximize spec'd booster performance.
- The antenna included in this kit requires a ground plane. Meaning approximately an 8" x 8" section of sheet metal that the base of the antenna (magnetic) mounts to and is necessary for antenna functionality.
- Boosters can't conjure up signal from thin air. The predominant case it's effective for is at least 1 bar, perhaps non-functional, worth of signal that's then boosted to establish solid and fast communication. It can on occasion elicit signals, but more rarely.
- Physical gain can be added with height, antennas that are larger, specialty antennas that are both larger and don't require a ground plane (trucker OTR), directional (yagi), or the many other variations. These would have compromises to a consumer vehicle for obvious reasons.

Results
This booster kicks butt and is the definitely delivering significant gains beyond what I've seen before. Prior to purchasing this unit, I tried a WeBoost Sleek and a Phonetone band 12/13/17 booster. I hated the WeBoost Sleek for its retarded phone cradle that was troublesome to use, and for the fact that it had a ridiculous bright on light staring at you. The Phonetone was better and had a similar candybar interior antenna to the Weboost Reach which I like as it's completely transparent in using. Yet it had limited band support. My research told me that Verizon was predominantly band 13. In use and in remote areas, I saw a ton of band 2, 4, and 66 (part of band 4) , which it did not support so was of no use.

Initial results. It's boosting all the channels that I want. And producing gains substantially higher than I saw from the other booster models I tried. Here's two snapshots. First one turning a non-functional signal into a strong stable and fast signal on band 2.

Last edited:
Install

I've not fully installed the unit as I'm testing it out for functionality first. Which it's proving to deliver on!

External antenna:

Magnetic, just slap it on. I have the wire coming down along the rear hatch seal.

Internal antenna:

I have the interior candybar antenna right behind the engine start button. It's important to have this in as close proximity to the phone as possible to maximize gain. I mount my phone via the two vent magnets that keep it ultra stable and a breeze to use.

Last edited:
Sub'd. I've been considering the same thing. Cell service out west seems to suck for AT&T and T-Mobile. I'm not sure if a booster will help though.

I'm eager to see how @TeCKis300 does the install. I use the WeBoost Drive 4G-X and it's great for both At&T and Verizon. I have a booster in my camper, cabin, and LC.

Added more info to the first post up top.

Was hoping to get to this install, but had to tend to the other 4WD beast today. Fun ripped CV to re-boot. Should get to the cell boost this weekend.

Added more details, installation, and pics to the posts up top. I'm liking this booster. It's a keeper, unlike the prior two I tried!

Was in some more rural and hilly areas today and had an opportunity to test. This is a good telling dynamic test and graphic.

I'm using Network Cell Info Lite app and my Verizon Google Pixel 3 XL.

I did a driving route twice. Once with the booster off, and once with it on. The stoplight colors overlayed on the route correspond to the dB meter level at center, visually showing the quality of connection. Green is better than -100 dB signal strength (4 bar). Yellow, orange, and red shows marginal connections through roughly 3, 2, and 1 bar.

While the colors represent an active signal and strength, what it doesn't speak to is the quality or type, notably whether it's 4G or LTE. That's where the little blue "4G" flag comes in. You can see with the booster on, it's maintaining high quality 4G reception throughout the route. Not so with the booster off and it's falling back to likely 2G/3G in segments.

Also note the number of cell towers on the map. With booster on, there's only one main tower it maintains connection with. Likely the tower that has the 4G/LTE band. WIth the booster off, the phone had to hop between something like 3 cell towers, likely not all highspeed towers/radio bands. While managing a poorer signal in driving segments.

Last edited:
Do you know how does this compare with the Wilson Electronic models?

Meaning the original blue ones.

I still have one of the old blue ones and was never that satisfied. It looks like this is using the Wilson antenna, and not the factory We one. Which has better gain?

I thought these antennas like this one work way better. It is a dual band like the little magnet one above.

wilson-311104.jpg

Sub'd. I've been considering the same thing. Cell service out west seems to suck for AT&T and T-Mobile. I'm not sure if a booster will help though.

Even with a signal booster .. some areas are only covered by Verizon off the main roads in the mid west. The booster will let you reach out farther, but eventually (like 25 30 miles off the main hwy) signal drops and the only choice is then Verizon (CDMA). The GSM carriers (ATT T-mobile etc) are just not out there in that area.

Really appreciate the write up. Any idea what the Google Fi service uses? I'm also on the Pixel 3. I know it switches between a few carriers depending on available signal. Would love to know if this would work

Do you know how does this compare with the Wilson Electronic models?

Sorry, I don't. There's commercial and static home based systems that may produce higher gains. For a mobile application, I think the Reach is likely the highest performing unit. Especially as it handles more recently released bands. I had another booster that I tried, and it did not fully cover all the bands that Verizon used. Which basically left big wide gaps in performance. I suspect an older one would have the same band support issue.

Meaning the original blue ones.
I thought these antennas like this one work way better. It is a dual band like the little magnet one above.

Can't say for sure, but I believe Weboost is making the right trades to get the performance and packaging they want. I big part of the optimization is also cabling quality. Another generic booster I got came with that exact antenna in your picture. The wiring coming off that antenna seemed less substantial/significant. Take it for what it's worth.

Really appreciate the write up. Any idea what the Google Fi service uses? I'm also on the Pixel 3. I know it switches between a few carriers depending on available signal. Would love to know if this would work

The boosters are service and carrier agnostic. So long as it supports the bands that the phone is using to reach its networks, it will be boosted. Otherwise it falls back to being unboosted for those specific bands.

Can't say for sure, but I believe Weboost is making the right trades to get the performance and packaging they want. I big part of the optimization is also cabling quality. Another generic booster I got came with that exact antenna in your picture. The wiring coming off that antenna seemed less substantial/significant. Take it for what it's worth.

FYI that antenna I posted above is from Wilson. Part # 31104. The pic does not show the wire in the pic as this is a through roof NMO that you attach a RG58 cable to it to go to the Wilson (or WeBoost) repeater. I have tried and tested that antenna that comes with the weboost and it doesn't compare to this one. You'll see the same antenna on leo vehicles. I was wondering if there is a better antenna, which is why I posted the question.

I am going to pick up a weboost and compare it to the wilson. With the new FCC rules I'm skeptical that the weboost has better gain(boost) but I'm going to to test it to find out. I don't really trust some youtuber who is getting supported by weboost to promote the product. Sometimes newer is better and sometimes it is not. Remington is an example of that.

The antenna hookups are the same so it's an easy test.

That app posted above is great! Thanks to who posted that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom