CB and Quad band all in 1 HAM Radio?? Is this true (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FloridaFJ80

Roaming Land Cruiser Heaven
Threads
Website
www.landcruiserheaven.com
Looks like a Chi-com 8800/8900 knock-off. No mention of CB frequencies though. Many multi-band ham radios will receive on 11M (cb freq.) but it's not legal for them to transmit on cb.

CB operates on side-band and AM. This radio is FM. It will be like oil and water.

Larry in El Paso

Guys thanks for the replies. Other than that it looks to be like a cost effective option. I had the Yeasu FT-8800R in my previous 80 and this one is about half the money and is a quad band. Might consider on trying it out.

Just remember it's "receive only" on CB band.

With so many bands you need a quad-band antenna to match the different frequencies, or one expensive one which adjusts itself depending on which frequency you use.
https://www.amazon.com/Yaesu-ATAS-120A-Motorized-FT-450DandFT-897D-ATAS-120/dp/B004UM9UL4

Usually those radios have poor quality and don't last long.
Wouxon is a prime example of that. Not a lot a places sell those radios anymore.
TYT seems to carry a higher quality.

https://www.amazon.com/Wouxun-KG-UV...d=1478879942&sr=8-2&keywords=wouxun+quad+band

I was going to buy one of these 9800, not to save $100 over a Yaesu 8900, but intrigued and for $200 it is worth it to me. Lots of descriptions about what it can and can't do that go beyond the specs. Like other Chinese radios, quality could be an issue. I have both Baofeng and Yaesu units and they seem fairly comparable. Other reviews I read the user say they do transmit on CB, but could be poor. Receiving is not a problem.

Some other info:
You are being redirected...

Sending and receiving on CB:
You are being redirected...

Thanks Izzy for the links. Unless someone has made a mod that adds AM this will only work on FM.

Larry in El Paso

Okay, got the radio setup in my office and my CB in the truck, and I can confirm that the TH-9800 does receive the CB transmission, and I can transmit from the TH-9800 and the CB will hear you loud and clear.

I am using my mobile antenna for now (on a cookie sheet by office window), just wanted to test it until my vhf/uhf comes in. All I can tell you is that I am able to both transmit and receive on the TH-9800 to a hand held CB. I tried various channels (1, 10, 17), it works. The CB is a Midland 75-282 (no rubber ducky) BNC24 with antenna.

The temp setup. The incoming is muffled, the outgoing is perfect from the TH-9800

IMG_2268.JPG
IMG_2269.JPG

The CB unit
IMG_2270.JPG

Last edited:
Did you mean Italian? :)

Tune in to a trucker channel 17 or 19 to see if the reception is just as bad as coming from your hand held.

Si, el canale vente del pais. Not getting much reception from either channel, the rig is at home, will install this weekend,time permitting. Drive around and see if I get much of anything. Trails (Uwharrie Forest) close here on 12/15, otherwise would be a good test on the woods. I will update for sure.

That would be cool if it works on CB and HAM. Just cut down on the number of radios inside the car.
The antennas will still have to be separated, 2 of them for sure. Maybe using an antenna box to switch between them two, depending on the band in use. Can't really monitor both CB and HAM at the same time though, I think.

Daiwa CS-201A Coax Switches CS-201A

something like this

Got the new X-30 dual band antenna up as high as my 28ft ladder could reach (25ft off the ground). It is not the highest point by as long as my wife and the HOA dont see it (most humans dont look up), I can leave it there and get 270 degree free axis. No problems getting on local club net 20 miles away. So far the TH-9800 has performed well, programming with Chirp was simple and could copy my HT program to it. Plus added the entire CB spectrum for testing. Will keep CB open on one side on 17 or 19 and let you know. Next step is to set it up in my truck, but that could be after Christmas travels end.

img_7128-jpg.1367928

I can't see from the picture, but are you using radials with the 1/4 wave?

Nice, I thought you were trying to use the antenna in post 11 lol......you could do it, just need the radials.

Nice, I thought you were trying to use the antenna in post 11 lol......you could do it, just need the radials.

It was just temporary to set up he radio, play with my new toy. The cookie sheet can act as the ground plane instead of radials, works in a pinch! But for a mobile antenna like that you need a bigger ground plane like a hood or roof of a vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom