CB and Quad band all in 1 HAM Radio?? Is this true (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gents, finally got a chance to use the radio on the truck on a trail ride with a group using CBs. I also got a Padholder for the iPad (maps) that worked great to mount the faceplate of the TYT. I used the upper right side thumbscrew to anchor the mic, and it worked pretty good.
On the way to the trail head, 2 hour drive, I was able to pick up and join nets a good 50-80 miles away. PIcked up some chatter on channel 17 on the highway a couple of times.

Now, when we got to the trail head, we did a radio check, most had CB using channel 18. I could hear the leader loud and clear, and he could hear me loud and clear. As we got onto the trail and got separated, and had to rescue the guy on 2WD (don't ask, I know) 4Runner, the CB signal was not strong. Once out of sight, those with HT CB units I could not hear. I could still pick up the leader (he has a rig and big antenna) and he could hear me, but he said it was faint. So, on a convoy, as long as we had line of sight, the CB band worked great sending and receiving with the TYT, as we got into twisting trails and mountains.... not so much. I may get a different antenna that will mount on the roofrack instead of the mag. The full size Bajarack will make a great groundplane.

I did test in the deep mountains, I could still hit HAM repeaters in nearby towns. So that was cool.

img_7318-jpg.1381647

The thumbscrews (Amazon) worked great to install and remove radio quickly as I used it more at home than I drive my 80. Same screws that I replaced in the Padholder, that way I keep spares.
img_7319-jpg.1381648

Did you have to do any mod or anything to get the CB side of the radio to work? Or did it work just out of the box? Thanks for the information. I am leaning this way.

Did you finally settle on a an antenna that you liked? Would you mind sharing what you ended up with?

Just a note on this. I've been fiddling with this radio for a month or so now and while it does work pretty well, it does not transmit on AM. This is important as CBs are AM radios. If you are within a mile or so the AM radios will be able to receive the FM signal from the tyt but once you reach the limit of where your sheer power can overcome the modulation difference, you will not be able to be heard. That said, it works just fine for short range communication as long as you turn on the AM mode(Without this you won't receive intelligible audio). I am very happy with the radio and would buy another one in a heartbeat. I get equal signal reports to the local guy running the yaesu version.

How is the SWR?
In theory it should not work well with the same antenna for 11m, 2m, 70cm bands.

CB on FM is far superior to AM, but not in US, for all the known reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom