cb advise single din?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

murf

Lifer
Threads
I am looking into getting a CB radio (nothing fancy) and was wondering if there is such a thing as a single DIN size cb that would fit into the dash below my Pioneer deck on my 80 series. That would certainly answer on where to locate the CB and would only lose the "slot" existing there now. Advise?

Thanks in advance.....

Take a look at the Cobra 18 WX ST II. You'll find a few threads in the 80s forum.

x2 on the 18WX. Forward mic mount and forward speaker and the size make it ideal.

If you've got the semi-useless plastic cubby hole under the single din you can do a little cutting to the back of it and insert a Uniden 510/520 like I did. Covered the front side openings with pieces of plastic and it 'almost' looks built in. Pics here:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/ca-socal-80s/154610-cb-install-dash.html?highlight=uniden

Radio is secured on the sides by long bolts right into the screw holes for the supplied hanging mount. Radio is in there solid.

Take a look at the Cobra 18 WX ST II. You'll find a few threads in the 80s forum.

Thanks guys - with your advise and some search thread work I decided on the Cobra 18 wx st ii cb radio. Thanks! In addition I will need to buy some coax cable and an antenna - anything else you can suggest?

Get a good antenna and make sure you get it tuned properly with an SWR meter. Good recent threads here on a couple of us that have used a Diamond mount on our hatches.

Thanks for all the help ~ I see your sig line also has your HAM call sign. I remember when I was much younger (EArly 70's?) that I had to learn my Morse code to apply for a license. Still remember some of it. Dad still has the monster HAM tower in his backyard. Its a whole new ballgame now with HAM.

Thanks for all the help ~ I see your sig line also has your HAM call sign. I remember when I was much younger (EArly 70's?) that I had to learn my Morse code to apply for a license. Still remember some of it. Dad still has the monster HAM tower in his backyard. Its a whole new ballgame now with HAM.

Yep - much easier. No cw for either the entry level Technician exam or the 2nd level General either! Only need it at 5wpm for the Extra level license. Gear is more expensive than simple 11 meter CB tho. Decent radio and antenna for CB can be had for around $100. Not so with Ham. Then again, ham range is exponentially better than CB!!

If you were into it some back then, I'd think a few quick practice exams to blow off some serious cob webs and you'd pass w/o a problem.

Shoot - late 60's you had to know morse code for one of the Boy Scout rank advancements! Translate 'The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog' Sentence contains every letter in tha alphabet. God, I hated that sentence back then! :D

I, along with couple of other 80 owners have had good luck with Firestick's Fire Ring antenna mount. We mounted ours close to the AM/FM antenna, on the right side of the hood. Of course you can mount yours anywhere but this location produced a decent range. We mounted the bracket directly to the right side fender lip, inside the engine compartment.

Thanks ~ I already have my 3 foot Firestick but you bring up a good point about mounting location. I was thinking on mounting it on the right front of the ARB as some other 80 owners have. Sounds like that might be a preferred location in your opinion instead of the rear bumper?

Thanks ~ I already have my 3 foot Firestick but you bring up a good point about mounting location. I was thinking on mounting it on the right front of the ARB as some other 80 owners have. Sounds like that might be a preferred location in your opinion instead of the rear bumper?

I didn't recommend a firestick antenna, I recommended a firestick antenna mount. :D This is by far the most idiot proof mount I've used and works very well. For your 3' antenna near the hood edge, this mount should work out well. 90% of poor radio transmission is due to antenna mounting IMHO.

The bumper mount is actually a poor location for an antenna mount. I know that it's been done and I've done it myself but the ground plane is very poor at that location.

I, along with couple of other 80 owners have had good luck with Firestick's Fire Ring antenna mount. We mounted ours close to the AM/FM antenna, on the right side of the hood. Of course you can mount yours anywhere but this location produced a decent range. We mounted the bracket directly to the right side fender lip, inside the engine compartment.

I just used the same mount. I put mine on the driver side and used an existing fender bolt. I had to dremel the mount opening just a little to fit around the bolt.

I had a 4' Firefly antenna without a spring and all the tree hits yesterday cracked it near the base. Im thinking of either going to a 3' on a spring or a Wilson 1000. The 4' was too much in the air but the whip of a 1000 wont be as bad.

I mounted my 18WX on the driver side of the console with a Nakman mic holder in place of a coin holder in the center console.

I see. I have a 4' antenna that's about 1/4" in diam and it takes a continuous trail beating. So far it's been holding up alright but it'll break eventually. The thing cost like $10 so it's worth it to me.

Yes, I also have the Firestick mount. The ARB should protect the antenna in the front except for the top which shouldnt see too many trees anyway. Maybe that spring mount should be next on my list....

icom 706 mgII with the remote ought to do the trick,,,hi hi,,,
the cobra will work well for you...

Follow up report

Well, thanks again to everyone who gave me good advise. Thats what I love about Mud ~ quick and educated advise on the what, why's, and wheres....

Per the thread I did go with the Cobra Cb single din in dash and the Firestick. I had to mount the stereo under the cb due to the backside length of the cb. No matter to me though...the front speaker feature was great.

The trail run performance was a success - I am very happy with the Cobras performance, features, and range. :cheers:

Again, thanks for the advise! Heres some pics of the final results:
cb.JPG
firestick.jpg
072.jpg

Nice job on your install!

Question: I'm considering to do the same installation, but I can't put the CB on top of the stereo, because the stereo is a flip screen and would block the CB. Any alternatives? Thanks in advance.

Question: I'm considering to do the same installation, but I can't put the CB on top of the stereo, because the stereo is a flip screen and would block the CB. Any alternatives? Thanks in advance.

My CB is below the stereo. Would your flip screen work in the top position?

Yes, the flip screen works fine. I'm a little concerned about the depth (backside length) of the lower DIN, as Murf was experiencing. I can off course disassemble the console, but I would rather not do so if it will not fit anyway. So what type is your radio?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom