Caster and pinion angle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys
I tried searching, no definitive answers....
I have a pair of FZJ80 axles in my '04 Discovery.
I am wanting/needing the front pinion angle in regards to the correct caster. Yeah I could pull it all apart and put the caster gauge on it, but figured the front pinion flange moves in relation to it, and that's the easier one to get.
Level ground, digital angle finder on the flange, 90 degrees or ? I found one post where is said the bottom lip of the flange was at zero degrees, but wanted confirmation so I can get a good baseline for now.

Got the factory locker ecu and switch all wired in, works perfect.
Threw a set of 35's on it for now, but will probably go 37's.
Will drive it a little, tweak it, beef up where required, and then enjoy the stronger axles.

Many thanks
Martin

The only way to adjust both the pinion and caster angle is to cut the knuckle ball weld to the axle tube and then turn the knuckle and reweld to set the caster angle after you get the pinion angle where you want. This is a fairly common procedure on FJ40s, 60s and solid axle mini trucks, so check those forums if you want details of how to do it.

Yes sir
I was after the stock pinion angle at stock caster though. If it works with my driveline, no need to cut and reweld that way.
I was after getting the caster right by knowing the OEM pinion angle, then set it to that. If in time I get vibrations, or the angles are too far off, I ca then cut and weld.

Martin

There's no CV on most 80's driveshafts if I remember correctly.

As such you want the pinion pointing straight back.

Many folks upgrade to a CV shaft (a few threads about donor parts) but basically in your situation to avoid vibes just go with the yellow CC bushings or better yet land tank plates.

Personally I like the idea of a CV shaft and the pinion pointed upwards towards the diff with cut and welded ball ends, but then your probably also looking at changing your steering arms to avoid interference and the risk of insufficient oiling to the pinion bearings, but not so much a problem on a part time rig.

There is also CC trunion bearings, but I think you resolve vibrations better with land tank CC plates better..

I guess I didn't read it right. The pinion is pointed up slightly at the stock caster of +2 degrees. Something like 3-5 degrees, but I can't find my measurements. Maybe someone else will know for sure.

If you have an angle finding gauge, lay it across the top trunion bearing cap, and put it on the pinion. What ever position the housing is currently sitting in, you'll be able to calculate the relationship.

May be easier to use the angle gauge on the trunion bearing cap and set caster from that.
Lay the gauge across the top of the bolts will get you close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom