Carolina Troopy Resto"ish" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Part 1

I've been out of the game bringing back Cruisers to life for a few years. i bought a 1989 HJ75 Ttoopy. I finally got the itch again......and long story short is I bought a Troopy in need of some major repairs. It has all the basics needs except looks.........by a long shot. It has a 2H engine that's actually in decent shape and has been rebuilt at some point over the last few years. It runs and drives, but minimal gauges work. With 666,666 kms on the odometer that's a tough prize to work with......... good luck right??

I've been through the whole rig. It's not terrible except for the body work and rust. The frame is completely solid and the diesel engine is a tank and currently has no leaks. It's definitely something the other half........aka....Mrs. Roe will not enjoy.

A little backstory is that I've been trying to get this vehicle back from SLC for the past few months. Sitting in these salty conditions have done a number on it.

Part #1:

Prep& Strip
- Media blasting......I've never tried this, but it sounds fun. Dry media blasting.......more to come with a video link.
- Removing the side windows was a chanllenge. This may evolve into gullwing windows since the original windows are on their last leg.

Mechanical work
- 2nd Battery install and ReArc system.
- Rear locker rework and run new compressor lines.
- Auxiliary fuel tank gauge repair and re-establish connection and functionality.

Will provide updates as it progresses.

20230414_123724.jpg

20230414_123713.jpg

20230311_141221_resized.jpg

Watching intently. That roof will be some work, but based on your last project, you've got the skillz.

Watching intently. That roof will be some work, but based on your last project, you've got the skillz.
Cut it off. Pop top all the way…. But seriously, watching closely. I wanted a 70 series and ended up in my 60 to flip it to buy a 70. Awesome though.

Cut it off. Pop top all the way…. But seriously, watching closely. I wanted a 70 series and ended up in my 60 to flip it to buy a 70. Awesome though.
Would love to......$10k to buy the top is on the list, just not this year. Going to do a full build out inside. If I get hooked the pop top may be in the cards.

Have u seen the alu cab copy cat that ships direct to your house from south africa for much less? A cruiser guy in obx ordered one. I will get the details. He is installing on his red troopy.

I think it is alu innovations. I am checking with Patrick out in the Nags Head area.

Congratulations on your troopy, there's a few around in NC- one in Wilmington, the outer banks (mine) and one in Raleigh (ONSC member with an Alu-Cab). I think there is another one or two silent holders. I have an Alu-Innovations top just not installed yet. They were willing to sell direct, and send to an international airport, where I had to pick it up. I am dealing with some roof rust before putting it in place. If you are interested in the Alu-innovations shoot me a PM. All of the pop tops that I'm aware of use adhesive to bond to the sides of the roof (roof is cut approx 2.75" above the drip rails), and also mechanically fasten to the roof support brackets. You would want to take care of the rust in the gutters and sides of roof before installing one.

GAK 01.jpg

GAK 04.jpg

Congratulations on your troopy, there's a few around in NC- one in Wilmington, the outer banks (mine) and one in Raleigh (ONSC member with an Alu-Cab). I think there is another one or two silent holders. I have an Alu-Innovations top just not installed yet. They were willing to sell direct, and send to an international airport, where I had to pick it up. I am dealing with some roof rust before putting it in place. If you are interested in the Alu-innovations shoot me a PM. All of the pop tops that I'm aware of use adhesive to bond to the sides of the roof (roof is cut approx 2.75" above the drip rails), and also mechanically fasten to the roof support brackets. You would want to take care of the rust in the gutters and sides of roof before installing one.

View attachment 3300701

View attachment 3300704
Damn that's sexy!

View attachment 3300701

View attachment 3300704

Thanks! I'll be in touch. I'm possibly interested in the Alu-Innovations. I need to get the rust fixed above my gutters as well.

Media blasting complete. Now time for some metal work.....major major metal work. The previous body work was awful. Going to take a lot to get it back.

IMG_20230425_121610.jpg

20230425_134108.jpg

20230425_134602.jpg

That's depressing. Talk with @Hokie LX about what it takes to repair those roof skins, lol.

Epoxy primered yesterday. Repairing the bad areas this week. Miscellaneous next week and rolling on. It's not going to win any beauty contests that's for sure. It's going to be a fun trail vehicle when it's ready.

20230502_104033.jpg

Good luck with the roof rust. Just finished repairing all the roof rust on my 60 and did a quick write up here.

Full details in my build thread. I’m excited to see your results! It’s a satisfying project.

2nd week of May 2023 update. Body work made substantial progress. All the roof areas have been opened up and rid of the old bondo. Essentially all open rust areas are now patched. The window sills have been repaired and getting ready to fully epoxy the entire body. I left a lot of dents throughout until I fully figure what I want to do with this thing. We pulled so much bondo out it was insane! We used some body filler to smooth out the roof line. The gutter areas were the worst and took a lot of metal work. This Troopy isn't ready for a full resto just yet, but I'll get it on the trails before the end of June.

20230508_123040.jpg

20230508_123008.jpg

20230508_122959.jpg

20230508_122950.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom