Carnivorous plant bog excursion June 25 2022 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

stevebradford

In the shop
Threads
I am planning on taking a bunch of botanist types up north main to look at plants. I’m the tour guide so it’s not a wheeling trip for me but if some of you wanted to join, check out the plants then separate for some wheeling you’re welcome to. For the plant group it will be around a 8-10 hour day trip. Weather is unpredictable at all times of the year the temperature can range from 10-30 degrees C and can be socked in with condensing fog, bucking rain or sweltering sun. We will be hiking, you will get wet feet so bring a change of clothes, socks, shoes, jacket, food and water, whatever you need.

We are tentatively planning for the weekend of June 25 - 26th just hashing out the details with everyone. @OTBT I believe you were interested.

Here is some links to some of the previous trips.

Doesn't look like I'm working that weekend, Swmbo has been wanting to check this out so we'll see if we can make it.

It'll likely be a question of dogs.

Long time to leave them at home, and the old boy wouldn't do well with that long in a truck.

He's pushing 16, so he doesn't really do walks either. Or much of anything really. :lol:

Doesn't look like I'm working that weekend, Swmbo has been wanting to check this out so we'll see if we can make it.

It'll likely be a question of dogs.

Long time to leave them at home, and the old boy wouldn't do well with that long in a truck.

He's pushing 16, so he doesn't really do walks either. Or much of anything really. :lol:

You guys have family on the island? Dog sit for a day maybe...? These bogs are worth the effort.

You guys have family on the island? Dog sit for a day maybe...? These bogs are worth the effort.
Yeah, might see if we can leave the ancient one with my folks and maybe just bring frick and frack.

Parents have cats so...the pirhanas won't fly there, it'd be a s***show. :lol:

We'll try to figure something out, it's a ways off yet.

If by some miracle I can, I’ll put the back seat in the 60 and come along. Would be cool.
I know some real plant people who wouldn’t see it otherwise.

Thats awesome. Don’t over torque the greaseable shackle bolts/nuts they aren’t that strong.
ED6F2898-5AA4-4020-A887-B1FF8DF3584A.jpeg

It’d be interesting. I’ll have to see closer to the date if I’m functioning. After the last couple weeks I’m not sure if I’ll have recovered by June and June 15 is our next big deadline.

The 16 hour days are catching up with us… and going in today after one on about 5 hours sleep (7am) is even worse.

So this north main, is that out by Jordan River?

And the other thing I wonder, is this a protected area? As in, thou shalt not remove plants?

Not that I'd rape and pillage or anything, but it'd be cool if we could get some carnivorous plants going in our pond.

Something invasive to eat all the other invasive species. :lol:

littleshop86.jpg

If nothing else your botany folks would probably be the right people to ask about which ones would live.

Yeah north main is just past Jorden river.

It’s not a park or highly protected yet but being a special ecological rarity it’s very frowned upon. Also I still have those carnivorous plants for you so you don’t have to remove the wild ones.

Yeah north main is just past Jorden river.

It’s not a park or highly protected yet but being a special ecological rarity it’s very frowned upon. Also I still have those carnivorous plants for you so you don’t have to remove the wild ones.
Cool. I still have three heavy ass discs of steel for you too. :lol:

I figured it'd probably be frowned on. We'd likely need things that are more comfortable in deeper water anyways.

We have a pitcher plant on the deck, but it'd be fun to get some of the colorful local stuff going around the pond edge.

They can fight the frogs for the few bugs that get past them.

I like plants.

IMG_2557.JPG

I am planning on taking a bunch of botanist types up north main to look at plants. I’m the tour guide so it’s not a wheeling trip for me but if some of you wanted to join, check out the plants then separate for some wheeling you’re welcome to. For the plant group it will be around a 8-10 hour day trip. Weather is unpredictable at all times of the year the temperature can range from 10-30 degrees C and can be socked in with condensing fog, bucking rain or sweltering sun. We will be hiking, you will get wet feet so bring a change of clothes, socks, shoes, jacket, food and water, whatever you need.

We are tentatively planning for the weekend of June 25 - 26th just hashing out the details with everyone. @OTBT I believe you were interested.

Here is some links to some of the previous trips.

Hey Steve, do you have any idea if any carnivorous plants exist in my area.
If they do I would make a point of looking for them when I'm out on an excursion, ie: hopelessly lost in the bush. LOL

Hey Steve, do you have any idea if any carnivorous plants exist in my area.
If they do I would make a point of looking for them when I'm out on an excursion, ie: hopelessly lost in the bush. LOL
Yes! Depending on your definition of general area.
Near Fort Nelson i know there are amazing carnivourous plants.
5AF2960E-111E-4702-9573-3D952A931892.jpeg

There is Sarracenia purpurea the carnivorous pitcher plant that is noted on the eastern side of Canada to eat prey as large a salamander.
002F7755-35E1-424E-9932-9FE5B06460A2.jpeg
32516911-BCE7-4DE8-B784-599BB5FE101C.jpeg

Also Drosera anglica and Drosera rotundifolia carnivorous sticky traps called sundews.
333FC345-DC96-4439-9E8F-C785DE7E7679.jpeg
463C5138-FF33-4B70-94B8-5C90CEBBDF31.jpeg

Yes! Depending on your definition of general area.
Near Fort Nelson i know there are amazing carnivourous plants.
View attachment 3001424

There is Sarracenia purpurea the carnivorous pitcher plant that is noted on the eastern side of Canada to eat prey as large a salamander.
View attachment 3001417View attachment 3001425

Also Drosera anglica and Drosera rotundifolia carnivorous sticky traps called sundews.
View attachment 3001420View attachment 3001418
Ok I need some of those salamander eaters to feed bullfrogs to. :lol:

I could be interested as well ,even just for the plants, I currently don't have a cruiser, just a 4runner that won't be able to follow any cruisers off-road, would be great to meet some of you after creeping on here for a while

We have picked a date for the excursion. June 25,

let’s meet at my place at 8:30am and get rolling by 9, as it’s on the way and pretty much central, there’s a gas station and a tim hortons nearby.

Message me for my contact info and any more details you may need.
EF2E30C5-0F89-4AB3-B356-B3B263D83B9D.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom