Cargo Trailer for off-road (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone run one of these trailers? I am on the fence but considering a Morris Mule trailer or possibly a Cargo trailer. There is a local company that sells them with 32" tires and torsion axles for about the same price as a Morris Mule. I think I can also find more uses for the Cargo trailer. I will be on back roads that require 4wd at times but I generally set a large base camp and explore an area. I think I can have them setup with a Toyota 5 lug pattern from the factory. They should both be able to fit in the garage and I imagine the weight is not too much different. Carrying a family of 4 I think I would fill the Mule up pretty quick with 2 tents, 4 cots, pads and bags plus all gear. I do not think I would do too many modifications for either one. I would like a roof rack for kayaks though

Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 11.03.20 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 11.04.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 11.07.28 AM.png

I like the idea - what is the cost of the cargo trailer?

Looks like every other small enclosed trailer with lift springs and larger tires. I would be careful with these as the frames on them are likely VERY light duty. I've been under a good many of them and the leaf spring brackets are little more than 1/8" channel and 3/8 bolts. If it were ME doing what you wanted to do, I would pick up a small enclosed trailer and do the work myself to get what you want. Beef up the suspension, add the tires wheels and roof rack. You'll likely save money and get a better end result.

I may go and check them out. Ill be sure to look at the underside. I do not have the time or ability to build one so store bought or used will be my options.

I am thinking of pulling the trigger on one this size. It is a 4 x 6. They can add a rear hitch for a bike and a different roof rack so I can mount my kayaks. If I can't get the 5 x 150 bolt pattern on the hubs is there a preferred size that is easiest to change to the 5 x 150 using adapters?
Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 3.38.04 PM.png

I would consider getting it with no roof racks or only with Thule or Yakima tracks. Then you can choose exactly what you want and aren't locked in by the mfg's decision.

No I didn't source the 5 x 150. I realized if I wanted to match my 100 wheels and tires and wanted 48" wide I was not going to be able to fit into my garage. I have a big toolbox in the way so it isn't full size. All the trailers they have come with 5 x 4.5 hubs, I am going to run 15" tires on it. Too much hassle in my situation to match the 33 inch tires. I plan on doing mainly forest service and gravel roads with this. I will not be taking it on any serious trails. I ordered it with a 3500 lb axle. They sent it with a 2200 lb axle. They have ordered the correct one so I will need to take it back and get it swapped out. I will not approach 3500 lbs but I wanted the bigger hubs for the high speed long interstate trips I take.

TXSunDevil, I'm looking for a trailer just like what you bought, and I'm also in the San Antonio area. How do you like yours? I was look at that dealer's inventory today online, and there isn't much of interest to me there. I really like that yours isn't so tall. Have you found the quality to be ok?

Also, if you happen to be interested in selling it, please let me know!

I have only taken it on one trip. So far so good. Ended up doing trips without all my kids so didn’t need to bring it. I actually took it out today so the tires don’t go flat. It had gathered cobwebs so the rain helped. I welded up a basket for my fuel and water containers on the front and mounted Thule crossbars on it. I did have to order it from trophy motors

Thanks for the info/help. Sounds great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom