Carburetor vent... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have had the worst luck with carburetors lately. Two years ago a sold a '73 Bronco with a freshly rebuilt Ford carburetor . The buyer traveled with a trailer a long distance to buy it as I stated over the phone it ran perfect. He gets to the house with cash in hand, we start it up and fuel is pouring out....I gave a discount.

Last year I had the carb done on my '67 40 (one barrel), lasted about 300 hundred miles and bam? DOA. I bought an NOS Asian carb and installed it, Ran well for 20 miles now rougher than a cob.
I've done my best to be a good American, why am I being punished like this?
Should I kill myself or continue what seems to be the carburetor road to hell.
And yes, removed tank and clean it, clean fuel, filter, fuel pump and new fuel hose.
I like my 40's stock and my women straight.
I'm starting to question my choices.

Last edited:
Yes, the idle solenoid was working on the original carb. Then changed over to the NOS. That one has no solenoid on it. It's just a plain ol' SD40, small window. simple design. No extra nothing on it. I reckon I'll find someone in town or look until I find the right person. It's hard to imagine having almost a $1000.00 in two carburetors that don't work right. Ahhh the trials of life.

Whispering Ranch, I'm sending you a private message. Actually I did, but Mud is saying they can't find "scoutingranch"

Last edited:
I just did a vacuum check off of the intake. After a warmup vacuum is between 17.5 and 18.0. I don't know what the factory spec is. Throttle blips and it comes to rest at those numbers when settled. Any thoughts?

Downey, I'll send you a PM. scoutingranch is correct...small s

Last edited:
Were you having troubles at idle or while driving? Keep the vacuum gauge hooked up and run it into the cab. Go for a drive and if the problem shows up, take a vacuum reading. Your vacuum at idle is about right. There are plenty of diagrams out there that can explain to you what the different vacuum readings mean. I don’t know them off the top of my head.

scouthingranch, I think you'd really like the private message I'm trying to send you, but (1) ebay says they don't have a record of your name (spelled with small s), and (2) I never received a private message from you that I could attach to.

scouthingranch, I think you'd really like the private message I'm trying to send you, but (1) ebay says they don't have a record of your name (spelled with small s), and (2) I never received a private message from you that I could attach to.
I'll send again. I've never had this problem on mud. Guess it is the same gremlin my carburetor has.
Ebay? I'm thinking you meant i8mud? Ebay is not my friend since they started charging state tax, a man can only take so much.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom