carb thoughts

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by FJ157, Mar 2, 2007.

1. FJ157

FJ157

I either need a new carb or have a rebuilt done on my quadrajet(this is on a 74 FJ40 with a 350) obviously it would be cheaper to rebuild the Q-jet, but i've done it before and was never that impressed with the performance which could have easily been my fault, but i did run it for a few years and it worked so i dont think i did too bad of a job. well anyways what do you think would be better have the Q-Jet redone by a shop that is probably better than me at it or just buy the shiny new one to match my shiny new intake. i can get the edlebrock off road for like $250 and i know its brand new and working optimaly, where as a shop would probably do my carb for around $100 and i could just find out that i did a great job before and a Q-Jet just sucks. what would you guys do?

2. 65swb45

65swb45 Elder Statesman Supporting Vendor

If you can get a reputable shop 'on the hook' for a rebuild for a hundy, you should take it! The Q-jet is as much about the installation as the rebuild tho.

I did one for an ASC certified mechanic once that couldn't get it to run right. I went over to his house the next day and took about 3 minutes to dial it in. Vacuum jumped from a lopey 14" to a silk smooth 17. I still scratch my head how come he couldn't get it right. I also did one for LCJ on this board that actually made it to 22" at idle! The one in my K-5 averages 19" at 800rpm.

Having a vacuum guage helps a lot.

Best

Mark A.

3. zags

zags

The quadrajet is a terrific carb. You can get great milage and power out of one when set up properly. I have had good good luck with them. The Edelbrock is actually a Carter AFB and is not near the carb the Q-jet is in my opinion. HP books sells an excellent book on the Qjet. Get the book and give the 'ol Q-jet another try.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  4. centerlineseal

centerlineseal

Regardless, if you had to buy a new shiny one, what would you guys recommend?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.