1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

carb thoughts

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by FJ157, Mar 2, 2007.

1. FJ157

FJ157

I either need a new carb or have a rebuilt done on my quadrajet(this is on a 74 FJ40 with a 350) obviously it would be cheaper to rebuild the Q-jet, but i've done it before and was never that impressed with the performance which could have easily been my fault, but i did run it for a few years and it worked so i dont think i did too bad of a job. well anyways what do you think would be better have the Q-Jet redone by a shop that is probably better than me at it or just buy the shiny new one to match my shiny new intake. i can get the edlebrock off road for like $250 and i know its brand new and working optimaly, where as a shop would probably do my carb for around $100 and i could just find out that i did a great job before and a Q-Jet just sucks. what would you guys do?

2. 65swb45

65swb45 Supporting Vendor

If you can get a reputable shop 'on the hook' for a rebuild for a hundy, you should take it! The Q-jet is as much about the installation as the rebuild tho.

I did one for an ASC certified mechanic once that couldn't get it to run right. I went over to his house the next day and took about 3 minutes to dial it in. Vacuum jumped from a lopey 14" to a silk smooth 17. I still scratch my head how come he couldn't get it right. I also did one for LCJ on this board that actually made it to 22" at idle! The one in my K-5 averages 19" at 800rpm.

Having a vacuum guage helps a lot.

Best

Mark A.

3. zags

zags

The quadrajet is a terrific carb. You can get great milage and power out of one when set up properly. I have had good good luck with them. The Edelbrock is actually a Carter AFB and is not near the carb the Q-jet is in my opinion. HP books sells an excellent book on the Qjet. Get the book and give the 'ol Q-jet another try.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  4. centerlineseal

centerlineseal SILVER Star

Regardless, if you had to buy a new shiny one, what would you guys recommend?